Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2016, 07:55 PM   #1
jhawk

Default wood falleo[?] wheels tire changes

is there any difference in changing tires between wood and metal falleo wheels ? metal I have done, wood never .thought it best to ask befor I screw up this time . Thanks in advance jhawk

i
jhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:30 AM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: wood falleo[?] wheels tire changes

Yes but your question does not give enough information about which wood wheels you have. 30 inch with clincher rims or 21 inch with the split straight split rims. (There are some 30 inch straight sided rims but they are far in between)
The rim is the part the tire mount to on all wheels. The felloe is the part of the wood wheel the spokes go into and that the rim is mounted to, it can be wood or metal. The wheel is the whole thing.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:31 AM   #3
jhawk

thank you for your reply,the tire on this wheel is 30 x 3.5, my 2 front wheels are different, the wood felleo on one is made up of 3 pieces while the other is made up of just 2 pieces both run the same size tire , I just don't want to screw anything up by putting too much pressure on the old wood even tho it appears solid , I hope you can figure out what I am trying to say. I am 82 and have never messed with a wood wheel befor. I have a great respect for what you say,thanks again for your reply! j
Old 09-12-2016, 09:52 AM   #4
redmodelt

Ok. Are you putting on new tires and tubes or just repairing a tube? How old are the tires? Some of the old tires get really hard and take a lot of sweat to get off.

On clincher rims you have to break then compress the tire bead away from the edge with something like a big C clamp. Once you get the bead broke loose you have to pry it over the edge. I usually end up with several tire irons (spoons) to do the job. They should be decent size, the one that comes in the tool kit is ok as a helper but bigger ones work better. Keep an eye on things, sometimes the irons want to spring back at you.

If the tires are old and hard and you are going to replace anyway, just cut the old tire off. Letting the tires warm in the sun help soften them, new or old. Makes the job go easier.

i
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:54 AM   #5
jhawk

Thanks again for everything,sounds pretty much the same as ive done in the past, again thank you your reply hope you have good day j
Old 10-08-2016, 09:36 AM   #6
Royce P

The correct tire pressure for a 30X3 1/2" tire is 65 - 70 PSI regardless of the wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawk View Post
thank you for your reply,the tire on this wheel is 30 x 3.5, my 2 front wheels are different, the wood felleo on one is made up of 3 pieces while the other is made up of just 2 pieces both run the same size tire , I just don't want to screw anything up by putting too much pressure on the old wood even tho it appears solid , I hope you can figure out what I am trying to say. I am 82 and have never messed with a wood wheel befor. I have a great respect for what you say,thanks again for your reply! j
1917 Torpedo Runabout
Royce P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:38 AM   #7
jhawk

Talking Re: wood falleo[?] wheels tire changes

Thank you very much!! I did not know that befor. This is my first time with this type wheel and tire. Thanks again! It seems these Ts always have something else to teach us. And thank GOD for people like you folks to teach us!! jim
Old 10-08-2016, 11:19 AM   #8
Layden B

Wood felloe wheels were made with 2 pieces of wood for the felloes, each piece steam bent around 180 degrees. If one of your felloes is made in 3 pieces it has probably been repaired and the third piece spliced in. You should carefully inspect such a wheel as it is most likely not safe to use.
Layden B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:43 AM   #9
jhawk

Again I thank ALL you good people for being welling to share your knowledge , there is nothing else that is so needed or in such short supply,thank you all again! jim