Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2023, 03:52 PM   #21
8EL

Default Re: Powder Coating Guns?

All very interesting. Recall an episode of OCC where dimensional changes preventing assembly was encountered on PC parts. While those guys seldom took the easy does it approach, in this case they were beating on the pieces with hammers seemingly not damaging the finish to facilitate assembly.......
8EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 04:15 PM   #22
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzBob View Post
I touch up chips on powder coat just like I would touch up a chip on paint - with matching color paint.
True, that. If you have matching paint. If you painted the part to begin with, you would have matching paint (or at least the #).
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 07:31 AM   #23
BRENT in 10-uh-C

To answer a couple of questions about about touch-up. To begin with, if something chips (sprayed, brushed, or powder), then there is either an adhesion issue, -or a mil thickness issue. Just so we are clear, paint on modern vehicles do not chip when driven down rocky roads. So if you are experiencing chipping, it isn't the type of product that is the issue.

In years past, we often touch-up powder paint by using the original powder mixed with fast drying enamel reducer into a slurry. This was applied to the chipped area and then we used a heat gun to melt the plastic. Like sprayed 2K paint, powder paint can be color-sanded & buffed to a sheen.

I have told this story here before but I will share it in a condensed version. Years ago when we were powder-painting in-house, we often used aluminum foil to mask areas such as spindles or bearing surfaces on king pins, holes in axles, etc. The powder would overspray onto the aluminum foil and go thru the curing process in our oven. One day, the PPG rep came to the shop and I was trying to be sarcastic when I asked him 'How come y'all can't make sprayable paint as durable as powder paint?'. His answer was "We do.". I asked how come we can't get it. He said you are already using it. He said your DCC9300 was just as durable. I crumpled the powder-painted aluminum foil and spread it back out and the paint did not chip off of the foil. He told me to dip some aluminum foil into the liquid paint the next time we had leftover paint in the gun and allow it to dry. Sure enough, we could crumple that foil that was dipped into the liquid paint and it stayed adhered after we crumpled it and smoothed out the foil. So the truth is, it is not that one is stronger or more durable than the other paint. It is the mil thickness and surface preparation that dictates the durability. Again, think about modern vehicles that drive on gravel roads without succumbing to paint chips.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 08:06 AM   #24
denis4x4

See post #10. Over the years, the hair pins on an open wheel car will get chips. The company gave me an areosol can of Cardinal Red that I used for touch up. Actually, the PC is pretty tough and I never did get that many chips. These pictures were taken in March of this year and the PC was done in August of 1999
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4802.jpg (111.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 10-26-2023, 09:58 AM   #25
David in San Antonio

The first time I read “Powder coating guns” I thought it referred to applying a coating on weapons.
Now it pops up again and I’ve forgotten what it’s really about and I’m startled all over again to think anyone would powder coat a gun.
Alamo A’s Club
David in San Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 10:15 AM   #26
Waorani

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in San Antonio View Post
The first time I read “Powder coating guns” I thought it referred to applying a coating on weapons.
Now it pops up again and I’ve forgotten what it’s really about and I’m startled all over again to think anyone would powder coat a gun.
That was my first thought as well!
Waorani is offline   Reply With Quote