Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-21-2016, 10:41 PM   #21
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Problem With Clutch (Medical Problem)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
-hand operated clutch mechanism...a friend who just died of MS, could only use his hands and had complete hand controls (gas/brake/clutch). He also had Chrysler autos in his many beautiful/rare cars. Some speedsters !
I know this is a little off topic but this has come up before, hand controls, no one has been able to give pictures or parts or procedures on how to do it. Do you know enough on how it was done to do a write up on the subject. I knoe it would help a lot of people stay in the A's longer without having to spend thousands for an automatic.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:52 AM   #22
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

Wilcap is another place to check, I don't remember if they make a Model A adaptor tho
. I have looked at their web site and I do not believe they make a kit for the model A. Also if I remember right their kit for the 59AB only adapting the Ford C-4 and nothing else unless they have changed something. I really wanted to use the GM auto trans in my 46 if for no other reason other than the fact I already have one. Of course you either have to change the rear end or adapt the rear end to open drive either way that you go.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:00 AM   #23
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

When I first lost my leg I looked into using hand controls and they were pretty expensive as well, Seems like they were over $1000.00. I did not check out a lot of companies and as it turns out I don't need them, I do just fine with my prosthesis, I even drove some at first before I got my new legs with only one leg. I still use my left leg for the brake but the one with the Prosthesis for the gas pedal. I could use it for the brake pedal but sometimes it doesn't go back to the gas pedal just right and you can't accelerate, so I changed to left foot braking and leave my Rt foot at the gas pedal. No hand controls needed.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:21 AM   #24
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by txkhog View Post
Can you install a hand clutch or a hand hydraulic clutch
I once added a SMALL Bendix Hyrdo-Vac booster to the hydraulic clutch system, on a '62 Jaguar XKE, for a man that had a weak left leg. It was quite easy to do.
That's a good thing to do on a Model A, with hydraulics that have POOR stopping qualities.
Bill W.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:27 AM   #25
Charlville

Hi Bob

I have the dropped foot issue, happy to share a few thoughts via IM if you think it would help?
Sporadic progress on My 1929 Sport Coupe can be found here along with my blog
http://automotiveamerican.com/
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:52 AM   #26
John Kuhnast

Smile Re: Problem With Clutch (Medical Problem)

My advice worth about 2 cents is to wait and see what happens. About ten years ago I had a foot drop and no feeling in feet due to a spine problem After about six months I found a doctor who was able to fix me. Next I had cancer and drove My A pickup to the treatments. Next I had my knees replaced and was not able to climb into the cab. The truck sat in the driveway for about a year until I was able drive it into the garage.Today I feel great and drive all over.Also four years ago at age 78 we had a new house built.If after about a year if no improvement the automatic trans might be a good solution.Best of luck to you. John
John Kuhnast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:08 PM   #27
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Bob - I just have to chime in with a little different perspective: find another Doctor. I had the elegantly termed "foot dropsy" caused by perineal nerve damage as a result of combat action in Vietnam: the nerve heals itself at the rate of 2 mm per month, give or take. Mine took 6 months to heal; recently I hit the outside of my knee on an engine block and re-injured the nerve. Doctor rigged up a device to pull the foot upwards and keep it up except when I walk (without dragging the foot!) and announced it will take a month or so - meantime, do as I wished except don't strain the knee. So, no parades for a while, except in the auto-shifted 68 Mustang ragtop. All is not lost - you WILL get better! (By the way - I'll be 70 in February.)
I'm going thru the same as Marcus. Same nerve damage. The doctors told me '6 months to a year IF you ever get it back'. I too was told the 2mm per month repair rate. It takes a long time. Pretty discouraging. I am holding on, wait and see.

This is basically September in the scheme of things, so NW Illinois will be getting salted roads in about ten weeks or so when the first snow flurries hit. The season will be over We'll see how next year goes
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:44 PM   #28
Plainsman30

We switched from a Model A clutch to a V-8 style clutch. I think the V-8 style clutch may push a little harder than the Model A clutch. Also, the new V-8 style clutch was produced "offshore" and failed in about 1000 miles and resulted in having to pull the motor to repair.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:21 PM   #29
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
I know this is a little off topic but this has come up before, hand controls, no one has been able to give pictures or parts or procedures on how to do it. Do you know enough on how it was done to do a write up on the subject. I knoe it would help a lot of people stay in the A's longer without having to spend thousands for an automatic.
Hey Mike,
Sorry, no is the answer. Wish I had thought of schetching/drawings, etc.
I think that some FAST AND 4e4 guys here knew my friend, as he was a FAST member. I missed out buying two of his cars that were equipped with automatics. He did go over how he did things, as I showed a lot of interest. He had a speedster with a dual overhead cam on a B block...with an automatic, that he actually drove at speed ! Obviously, he could not do the work himself, so he had a guy who built and maintained his cars.

My thoughts, about what you suggest, go to man/wife who compete regularly in FAST hillclimbs. I'm told that He is a FAST and 4e4 member ? I've met and talked with Art on occasion. He also has equipped his cars with same hand controls setup. This guy builds some fierce engines to run in his coupe on street and racing.. I wonder if he/she has ever written on 'how to' regarding this subject. Long ago when father in law came into same driving challenged condition, he asked about looking into doing his car with hand controls. I immediately thought of Art. Sadly, father in law requires full time care now...so.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:46 PM   #30
goodoldvic

In vol. 17 issue 6 of the Restorer is a "Bendix Clutch Control" accessory that used engine vacuum to engage the clutch without using your foot. Did that thing ever catch on? A neighbor just stopped by my house and handed me 20 issues of the Restorer from 1971 to 1978. Not every issue but that's the dates they span. Great reading Good luck with your clutch quest
goodoldvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:07 PM   #31
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoldvic View Post
In vol. 17 issue 6 of the Restorer is a "Bendix Clutch Control" accessory that used engine vacuum to engage the clutch without using your foot. Did that thing ever catch on? A neighbor just stopped by my house and handed me 20 issues of the Restorer from 1971 to 1978. Not every issue but that's the dates they span. Great reading Good luck with your clutch quest
August 25, 1931 Pittsburg Post-Gazette

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,4485963&hl=en
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:27 PM   #32
JohnLaVoy

Install and automatic transmission. We've done it I know of many others that have them.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:08 PM   #33
glenn in camino

About 10 years ago, I developed drop foot while on vacation. When I returned
home and went to my doctor. He asked me if I'd lost a lot of weight lately. I told him that had just lost 40 lbs He told me that I'm probably sitting on a nerve. On the way home, I bought a half gallon of ice cream. After I gained a little weight, my drop foot went away
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:08 PM   #34
Bob Grieb

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Grieb

Thanks for all the ideas. I will keep you posted as I investigate some of the options you have given me.

Bob
Old 08-23-2016, 12:06 AM   #35
CWPASADENA

I drove a friends Model A last week that had a diaphragm clutch in it.

VERY SOFT

Much softer than my Model A with a v-8 clutch.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:02 AM   #36
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLaVoy View Post
Install and automatic transmission. We've done it I know of many others that have them.
Can you install an automatic and retain the torque tube?
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:11 AM   #37
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Can you install an automatic and retain the torque tube?
No, the auto transmission is way too long for that. There is a whole lot of other fitting of parts that needs to be re-worked as well.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:15 PM   #38
Robert/Texas

I wouldn’t give up yet. I’m 82 years old and drive both my A’s, both my T’s and both my early V8’s. I have drop foot but it was due to tearing loose the anterior tibial tendon on the left leg (foot end) about 3 years ago. The doctor said that it was inoperable due to my age and gave me a boot style device which I used for less than a day. I drove the old cars very little for some time but about 3 months later went on a 3 day Model T tour covering about 100 miles a day. Then about a year and a half ago I had my left hip replaced. (I think the socket wore out from my funny walking.) Again not much old car driving for about 6 months but now I’m driving one of the cars almost daily. I hope this helps in making your decision.
Good luck, Robert
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:46 AM   #39
Cool Hand Lurker

Some of the foreign cars have a vacuum assisted servo clutch that you should be able to adapt to the Model A clutch pedal linkage.
There is a self-contained unit from Mitsubishi that might fit right in (Photo 1) and there is one on Ebay for $79.99 right now.
Or you could use a Mercedes vacuum actuator that would adapt to the Model A linkage (Photo 2) and VW has a vacuum canister servo (Photos 3,4,5) that could be mounted near the clutch fork arm to actuate the clutch.
I have not tried this but I think it could easily be done.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:58 AM   #40
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
No, the auto transmission is way too long for that. There is a whole lot of other fitting of parts that needs to be re-worked as well.
Flat-o products makes a 13.5" C-4 http://flat-o.com/carproducts/shorty.htm and Bendtsen's has a short 700R4. I believe both would still need an open drive shaft tho.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote