Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-21-2016, 01:09 PM   #1
Bob Grieb

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Grieb
Question Problem With Clutch (Medical Problem)

On July fourth I drove my Model A in a parade that lasted 1 3/4 hours. I t was at a very slow pace in hilly conditions. As a result I was always using the clutch which caused damage to a nerve in my left leg (common peroneal nerve palsy). It causes drop foot and the doctors tell me that I cannot drive the Model A without causing additional damage. They tell me that because of my age (75) the damage most likely will not repair itself.

My Question: I have heard that the Ford V8 clutch requires much less effort to depress and would like input about the validity of that statement.
I really hate to think of giving up my Model A's.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bob
Old 08-21-2016, 01:19 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Problem With Clutch (Medical Problem)

I have heard that the diaphragm pressure plate take even less effort.
They also make a clutch release arm that is a little longer for less effort.
https://www.brattons.com/clutch-release-shaft-arm.html

Bob

Last edited by Bob C; 08-21-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:23 PM   #3
J Franklin

Stop driving in parades, it is hard on the car as well. Other clutch setups can be easier to use. I don't know where you can get the diaphragm plate but it sounds like a good solution.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #4
Tinbasher

If you check around, you may be able to find a hydraulic clutch set-up that will bolt in with out damaging the vehicle. This set-up takes a lot less effort.

John Poole
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:25 PM   #5
Marshall V. Daut

I'm sorry to report this, but there is not all that much difference between the two clutches that I have seen, and I have multiples of both. If there IS a difference, it is so slight that it's negligible. It would be a shame to go through the change procedure and then be disappointed by seeing very little improvement. There are all kinds of finger clutches for the Model A out there, from tractor applications to actual Model A. Not all spring tensions are the same. I suspect those who claim a marked improvement with a V-8 clutch had a tired, sluggish Model A clutch or one with the wrong spring tension.
As it doesn't appear that your knee problem will heal itself, you may want to consider going to an automatic transmission. There are articles about how to do this at a fairly reasonable cost. In the long run in your case, that might be the best way to go. You're young enough still that you have years of Model A fun ahead of you. You don't want to give that up just because of clutch pedal problems. You can enjoy a Model A with an automatic transmission for years to come, maybe decades!
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:18 PM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

What Marshall said::

If the diagnosis and prognosis is correct and you have a choice of giving up your A vs installing an auto it's a no brainer... The v-8 clutch is not that much easier IMO and considering your condition it is not the way to go..you'll probably do more harm than good sorry to say

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 08-21-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:32 PM   #7
Big hammer

My son just the other day drove my A for the first time! And I enjoyed just to ride :-)
Hire a chauffeur if no children want to drive it! Just another option.
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:48 PM   #8
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

There is a company that offers a kit to install all the popular Auto Trans in a Model A.
The Ford C-4, GM 350,400, 700, 200, and maybe others. I think there was a link on the Ford Barn forum about it. I was looking for a kit to put behind my 59AB in my 46 Coupe.So far I have only found a kit to install the Ford C-4 behind it. It's a little hard to drive a str shift wearing a leg prothesis (Lower Rt leg) For me the problem would be stopping on a hill and trying to use three pedals. I left foot brake in my modern car and truck. My 46 coupe and Model A are not on the road at present that is a couple of bridges I will have to cross.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:55 PM   #9
jw hash

a Model A friend and neighbor of mine had the same problem. he was able to find some lighter springs for his pressure plate, and I built him a light weight pressure plate. it worked out real good for him. just don`t try pulling a trailer or doing hill climb.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:37 PM   #10
Marcus

Bob - I just have to chime in with a little different perspective: find another Doctor. I had the elegantly termed "foot dropsy" caused by perineal nerve damage as a result of combat action in Vietnam: the nerve heals itself at the rate of 2 mm per month, give or take. Mine took 6 months to heal; recently I hit the outside of my knee on an engine block and re-injured the nerve. Doctor rigged up a device to pull the foot upwards and keep it up except when I walk (without dragging the foot!) and announced it will take a month or so - meantime, do as I wished except don't strain the knee. So, no parades for a while, except in the auto-shifted 68 Mustang ragtop. All is not lost - you WILL get better! (By the way - I'll be 70 in February.)
Old 08-21-2016, 04:48 PM   #11
tbirdtbird
BANNED

I have a lot of respect for Mitch and Marshall but I have found the V8 clutch to be way less difficult to operate.

As for a diaphragm style, some are using an S10 PP but i have seen those installed by people who do not know what they are doing and it ended up harder to push than stock A. The ends of the fingers on the S10 need to be ground back 1/8". There is also a 1/8" collar that needs to be welded on.

I have driven the S10 style and did not find it was that much easier than the V8.

Since we have such a difference of experience, I would find someone with the V8 style installed and try for yourself. Be advised that the flywheel needs to be modified to accept either of the newer PP, and then you will want to have the FW and PP balanced together.

Having said all that, parades are killers for the left leg, period. 1 3/4 hrs would have killed my leg for sure. I would stay away from parades at all costs no matter what type of clutch you have. I will only do a 15 min parade with my V8 style. And #11 is correct, nerves heal VERY slowly
Old 08-21-2016, 05:30 PM   #12
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin/TN View Post
There is a company that offers a kit to install all the popular Auto Trans in a Model A.
Bendtsen's make a kit to adapt any of the Chevy Automagics to the A or B engine http://www.transmissionadapters.com/Model%20A.htm

Wilcap is another place to check, I don't remember if they make a Model A adaptor tho.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 08-21-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:40 PM   #13
txkhog

Can you install a hand clutch or a hand hydraulic clutch
txkhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:46 PM   #14
Bob Grieb

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Grieb

Thanks for all the great input!!!! I like the encouragement from Marcus and hope it will heal itself. I will review all the input in a more detail and see if something will work for me. I would really hate to give up the Model A's. One bit of advice I have already implemented is "no more parades".

I will report back with what solution works for me.

Thanks

Bob
Old 08-21-2016, 07:58 PM   #15
tbirdtbird
BANNED

I find the Bendsten's kits quite interesting. Has anyone tried this setup?

I have to wonder if the A motor has the torque and HP to actually make those big heavy chevy hydromatics do anything.......

I also wonder what has to be done to the cross member.......
Old 08-21-2016, 08:48 PM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

I drove my friend's 1949 Chevy pickup in a long Halloween parade every year, until he sold the truck. That had the easiest clutch of anything I'd ever driven. That's the clutch to use if you change, and use the same leverage as the Chevy had.

You have some good options with becoming a passenger, installing an automatic, or changing pressure plates.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:05 PM   #17
larrys40

Just a suggestion but you can try the longer clutch release arm, either from an earlier '28 if you can find one or brattons now has an aftermarket unit that is a little longer and does help. I replaced one on an "A" earlier last week and in fact it did make a difference.
The pressure plate was actually stiffer than most and I replaced the arm with the brattons unit and it is now easier than a typical clutch. the adjustment on the longer arms is close so even 1/2 turn makes a difference.

Best of luck!
larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:21 PM   #18
hardtimes

Hey Bob,
You are still in your youth and should consider the 'long run' in this situation, IMO.
Sure you have a number of options to make stick shifting more 'easy' ...than a stock A.
-V8 type pressure plate with counterweights;
-diaphragm pressure plate...much easier comparatively;
-hand operated clutch mechanism...a friend who just died of MS, could only use his hands and had complete hand controls (gas/brake/clutch). He also had Chrysler autos in his many beautiful/rare cars. Some speedsters !
and so on....
However, IMO your family/friends would look forward to seeing you be mobile in more ways than just model A
Best luck to you in making your decisions.

Last edited by hardtimes; 08-21-2016 at 09:22 PM. Reason: ...........
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:45 PM   #19
midgetracer

I have a friend who takes every other spring out of his model A clutches. The pressure to move the clutch is greatly reduced and he runs up and down the Black Hills of South Dakota without any clutch slippage. I have not tried it myself, but have ridden with him up the hills around Deadwood with out seeing a problem. He uses a die grinder and cuts every other spring and the pieces drop out. It might be worth a try in your case.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:36 PM   #20
aonemarine

Im a bit on the crazy side so im thinking get a hydraulic slave cylinder and them make up an air over hydraulic master cylinder. Use a small compressor to supply the air and a switch on the shifter to actuate it. by running a calibrated bleed you can control how fast the clutch engages and release would be automatic.
Why the hell not?
aonemarine is offline   Reply With Quote