Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-19-2014, 07:22 AM   #21
29Cabriolet

Default Re: under 3000. club.....?

Not sure if this qualifies. I acquired my Cabriolet for $700. Since then I've invested over $1500 in parts and repairs. Initially the car, that is, a couple of pick up loads of parts, was bought by my Dad for $300. From that, he built the car in the '80s and drove it for about 30 years. No idea what he may have spent to finish the car. He no longer drives, so I've taken it over and have begun repairs. The $700 was merely a formality for legal purposes in transferring properties to me and siblings.
29Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #22
modelAsteve

I think the "under 3 grand is very doable; but, they need out help. We need to use our many years of expertise to make sure the car is reliable and SAFE! I advise the young people to join their local Model A Club. They may be kidded a little at first but as soon as we know they are serious and willing to help they are welcome. Nothing is better than an ol fart eating humble pie when he needs some help and a stronger back! They may not end up with 400 point car but the fun and education is priceless. Maybe it could end up being a brush coated speedster.
Most of MAFCA doesn't have a clue! Just ask the former FAST special interest group
modelAsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:36 AM   #23
ronn

I understand your point Brent, just trying to keep it light and have some fun here.

Where theres a will theres a way.................

stories are always good.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #24
pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb person View Post
i wish. $3,000 would not get me a rusty frame.
Not quite as bad here in OZ, but this was 12.5 K last year .

It was said to run and did have a rough roof and windscreen whch was removed for transport .

And I bought my pickup which may have went with a little work and 98 % complete for 8 K .

With it came maybe 500 bucks of repo parts and books and a new wood kit fitted.

I have not got the chassis going yet as I wanted the body.

That steering wheel/column and gearbox in back is not off this car .

Not much below this that is not a complete rusted out parts car.

3 K here would buy a complete chassis , hopefully with a few body panels.

I reckon OZ would need to be a 10K club for a minimum runner that had a chance of being regoed .

Last edited by pooch; 10-26-2014 at 05:11 PM.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #25
Roadster62

You can build a car for under $3,000.00, just takes good bookkeeping. If you buy a junk Model A for $1,000.00 and sell off unwanted parts for $500.00 you have a $500.00 pile of keeper parts. Buy more stuff with the $500.00 you got from the parts sale and just keep rolling it over. Guys have been doing this for years. Bob
Old 10-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #26
Purdy Swoft

I've always been quick to grab the junky model A's that nobody else wanted or said could never be fixed. When I was growing up I caught lots of hell about it. I had to hide my model A's at aunt Grace and uncle Rays place. Back then I could buy rusty strip downs with parts missing for just a few dollars. I only paid eight dollars for my september 29 in 1960. A friend towed it in for me with her 49 olds on four flat tires. We towed it on the back roads and most of the flat tires fell off before we made it in. Neighbors were pointing and laughing. I've still got this car and it is one of my favorites . Here it is in 1962 after I got it running, installed a set of 7.60 15 tires that aunt Grace gave me that came off her Desoto. I installed them on Mercury rims . I painted it chineese red with a brush in Fix All enamel. and another pic after I redid it in 07 with me standing behind it. I still probably don't have three thousand in it.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 10-26-2014 at 07:31 PM. Reason: added a few wirds
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:22 PM   #27
Purdy Swoft

I got this one for $300.00 a few years ago. I had to take wheels and tires to put on it so that I could come along it on to the trailer . The guys brother that I bought it from had took the wheels and had them sand blasted and painted. I paid the brother $200.00 for the wheels and he gave me three old Allstate tires with good tread. By the time that I bought a new battery, two more used tires, replaced the coil, bought a Zenith carb from the brother for $50.00. installed a sediment bowl, gas lines rewired it and installed a repro ignition switch , I had around a thousand dollars in it. I got it cranked up and running good without even going in to the engine. With a common sense adjustment of the brake rods and brakes the brakes are good. I like like it just like it is. It took me thirty four years tring to coax it away from the previous owners. before it became mine. It changed hands a few times but I managed to keep up with it over the years. I had mostly given up on ever owning it. I've got most of the parts to do a driver type restoration on it but I like it so much like it is that I may just leave it that way. It spent most of its life out in the weather. It doesn't look that much worse than it did the first time that I saw it in 59.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:47 AM   #28
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I'm going to weigh in on something here and pose a question or two.

. . . . Most of them do not have even the basic tools to do any kind of repair/restoration work, ....nor do the kid's parents.

Next (s)he must find a place to work on it.
Phew!! I thought it was only ME. Many of the photos I find here on FordBarn reveal a super fancy workshop with ALL the gizmos in the background. I'm beginning to wonder if the other 2000 people on here all own their own repair shops!!

I got a bad case of workshop envy.
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:50 AM   #29
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I got this one for $300.00 a few years ago.. . . . . I've got most of the parts to do a driver type restoration on it but I like it so much like it is that I may just leave it that way. It spent most of its life out in the weather. It doesn't look that much worse than it did the first time that I saw it in 59.

That's what I'd do, for sure. That's my DREAM CAR, Purdy (provided you're not sitting on an oil can in there!!).
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:21 AM   #30
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I'm going to weigh in on something here and pose a question or two.

Suppose an average 'All-American kid' does purchase a Model-A for under $3k, ...what does he do then? Most of them do not have even the basic tools to do any kind of repair/restoration work, ....nor do the kid's parents.

Next (s)he must find a place to work on it. Society has changed over the past few decades where many town's zoning ordinances & HOA deed restrictions now prohibit inoperable and/or unlicensed vehicles in sight on a residential property. That typically rules out working in the driveway. Can they afford to rent a place?

So even if a young person finds a car for $3k, I'm not sure their struggles are over. Just some thoughts.

Most of this I know first hand.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:09 AM   #31
ronn

Purdy,
I too would leave that tudor just as it is-oil up the body a bit, cause Jersey weather is a bit damp and have fun with it. Amazing that you kept at getting it for that long.

Basic tools can be bought at flea mkts, just like the cars....... the .25 pile is my favorite-never quite know what youre gonna get-like a box of choocolates................

Last edited by ronn; 10-27-2014 at 10:47 AM.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:53 AM   #32
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogah View Post
That's what I'd do, for sure. That's my DREAM CAR, Purdy (provided you're not sitting on an oil can in there!!).
Thanks Hoogah, Actually I'm sitting on an old 15 inch disc wheel in the pic. Its got a purdy good back seat but I've gotta work on the front seats. The front seats are mostly just frames and springs.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:32 PM   #33
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Purdy,
I too would leave that tudor just as it is-oil up the body a bit, cause Jersey weather is a bit damp and have fun with it. Amazing that you kept at getting it for that long.

Basic tools can be bought at flea mkts, just like the cars....... the .25 pile is my favorite-never quite know what youre gonna get-like a box of choocolates................
Ron,
I hesitate to oil the body because it would be messy and I would probably get oil all over my self every time that I got near it. Oil would be good for the rust though. It is also damp here in winter and hot and steamy in summer. I've kept Gus, my rusty tudor inside for the past 14 years .