Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-20-2017, 08:04 PM   #1
matt92vr4

Default 1927 Model T value

Hello everyone, my dad has a Model A and is looking to buy a Model T from a neighbor in town. I'm familiar with the A but this would be my first experience with a T. My dad is 86 and drives his A well, it was his first car, but he said he only drove a T one time when he was a kid. I've been studying videos on youtube

My question is mainly on value. I've not seen a lot of these for sale to compare it to. It is a 1927 2 door sedan. It's in very nice condition. Runs and drives well. Can be driven to a local show just as it sits. The interior and exterior are all in nice condition. To the untrained eye it looks very original, but I'm sure it's probably not. I did notice that it has fiberglass fenders. It looks beautiful. I don't have a picture to share but I did find one online that looks very similar (attached).

The owner will sell it for $7500. This seems like a good price. What do you guys think? Thank you for your input.

-Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1927 Model T.JPG (56.0 KB, 130 views)
matt92vr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:43 PM   #2
Layden B

Default Re: 1927 Model T value

Just something to keep in mind...My Dad in his 70s gave up the Model T because he could not push the pedals hard enough or long enough. He went to a Model A until the clutch and brakes became too much.
Layden B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:27 PM   #3
Dodge

And my Dad drove his 1912 Touring until he was 95. I had to put a starter on it when he hit
90 but he would still crank it sometimes at a car show.
So I guess it just depends on what kind of shape he's in.
The price seems very reasonable for the car.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:36 PM   #4
Greg Jones

Looking at the picture, it looks like a nicely done car. I think $7500 is reasonable if it has a nice interior, preferably the original style green pin-stripe upholstery. It might even be a tad bit on the high side as Model T's (except for the brass cars) just don't fetch a whole lot of money. Not many people are willing to fool with them and you have to be your own "engineer" when you own one. If the car is nicely restored back to specs it should be quite reliable.
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:34 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I get flack for this all the time but if you are happy with the price then it is a good price. The price of these cars only go up. So you can't pay too much just buy too early.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:35 AM   #6
Marshall V. Daut

The '26-27 wire wheels and hubs are probably worth $1,200-$1,500 alone. At least the car won't need several hundred dollars' worth of wooden wheel re-spoking performed to make it safe. That's a definite plus for the car. I agree that $7500 is a good price, but not a steal. If it has a Ruxtell two-speed rear end, so much the better! Lots of '26-27 Model T's seem to have them. That's another $1,500-$2,000 value if present. Is there a gear shift lever for a Ruxtell inside? Or can you photograph the rear axle pumpkin? That will tell us right away which rear end is there.
I also agree that perhaps your father should try driving a Model T before buying one. They are entirely different animals to drive than a Model A. You almost have to UN-learn what you know about driving cars in order to drive a Model T. If your father's reactions aren't spot on, he could get into trouble very quickly. You have to drive a Model T as if it doesn't have brakes - because it virtually doesn't, compared to a Model A. Lots more hand and foot co-ordination required to drive a Model T, too, because you accelerate with your hand and shift with your feet, the OPPOSITE of a Model A. You'll also work the spark lever MUCH more in a Model T than in a Model A. It is not simply a "retard to start, advance to drive and forget it" type of deal. You use the spark lever every time you shift a Model T, in tandem with the hand throttle. It takes a lot of practice to master driving a Model T properly. Just a heads-up warning to consider before buying a Model T. But once you have learned to drive a Model T, they're a hoot!
Marshall,
1922 and 1924 coupes
Marshall V. Daut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:58 PM   #7
matt92vr4

Thanks for the input. It doesn't sound like $7500 is an excellent deal. I'm more used to pricing Model A's. An A in this condition would be worth much more. I'm surprised the T's are worth less. I guess you learn something everyday!

It does in fact have the Ruxtell 2 speed rear end. We are still debating. I'd love to buy it and enjoy it for a little while. I read somewhere that a guy can't call himself a car enthusiast unless he knows how to drive a T

Any more input is appreciated. Thank you.

-Matt
matt92vr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:03 PM   #8
Marshall V. Daut

Since you have determined that there is a Ruxtell in this car, subtract at least $1,500-2,000 for that and $1,200-1,500 for the wire wheels and hubs from the asking price. That effectively means the basic car would cost you between $4,000 and $4,800. If the interior is even close to being correct, that is one heck of a good buy! And the car looks complete, not rusted out or major missing parts that you'd have to find and buy later, let alone restore or repaint. True, Model T's don't generally bring as much as Model A's, excepting the early brass T's. But still: $4,000+ for the pictured car is a very sweet deal for any buyer, if a later Model T Tudor is what he wants.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:05 PM   #9
Greg Jones

Marshall is right that Ruxtell makes that a desirable car. I hereby declare it a good deal!
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:45 PM   #10
39portlander

Do a compression test on the engine as well, as others have stated with the Ruxtell it's a great selling point and the wire wheels are a nice feature.

I would have someone you know well who knows the model T well to help guide you on your purchase. The price seems fair if all checks out, I'm a new 26 Fordor T owner and love it. The learning curve is challenging but If your a mechanical minded guy its what we love.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:31 AM   #11
Dick Webber

If it starts, stops, runs and drives, looks good inside and out, has wire wheels and a Ruxtell, and you like it, go for it. Sounds like Dad gets around well. T does require more agility, but it will be fun for both of you.
Dick Webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:06 PM   #12
1931 flamingo

Looks good. I'd go for it. Most I see are in the 10-12K area. FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:53 PM   #13
Royce P

If it runs and drives and has safety glass and the paint is as good as that picture then it is well worth the asking price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt92vr4 View Post
Thanks for the input. It doesn't sound like $7500 is an excellent deal. I'm more used to pricing Model A's. An A in this condition would be worth much more. I'm surprised the T's are worth less. I guess you learn something everyday!

It does in fact have the Ruxtell 2 speed rear end. We are still debating. I'd love to buy it and enjoy it for a little while. I read somewhere that a guy can't call himself a car enthusiast unless he knows how to drive a T

Any more input is appreciated. Thank you.

-Matt
1917 Torpedo Runabout
Royce P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:13 PM   #14
vwfinatic273

Looks like it is worth every penny
vwfinatic273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:54 AM   #15
RonC

Post pictures of the actual car not a picture off the internet. Fiberglass fendars are not good in my opinion
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote