Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-27-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
Bowman

Default Clutch Will Not Engage

New to the Ford Barn (old HAMBer struggling with an original Model "A")

So here is the deal. My Dad and I are working on a 1930 Model "A" Pickup. It was in the middle of being restored by an old school Model "A" man who died before he could finish it. We got it started today and after letting it run a bit my Dad couldn't stand it anymore and said I have to take it up the driveway.

He pushed the clutch pedal down but it would not go into gear. Just a grinding noise and we did not want to do that. With the engine off, we checked to make sure the pedal was not hitting the floor boards or anything etc. It was not. It was obvious that it needed adjusted. So I made a pretty hefty movement on the arm by screwing it in around 6 turns.

We reinstalled the arm and Dad hopped back in. Same result. We pulled the inspection panel off and found the throw out bearing when the clutch pedal was pushed down to the max just barely touched the fingers. When I say barely I mean barely...you might have even been able to stick a thin feeler gauge between them. In other words, at the max pedal, ZERO movement of the clutch fingers.

THOUGHTS?
Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote