Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2024, 07:34 AM   #21
Ziggster

Default Re: Hershey Stats

As a relative noob to the hobby, and just two trips to Hershey (2023 & 2019), I will say that I noticed a lot more empty stalls this past year than I did when I last went in 2019. Walked pretty much the entire place in two days both times. Was hot the first day this past year, and I had to take several breaks throughout the day and I’m only 58. So, I can understand folks taking electric wheelchairs/ golf carts if they need them. Saw way more (carts, etc.) this last visit than I did in 2019. What bugged me was that there were so many stalls still closed after the official opening time. Even an hour later, lots of stalls were still unattended, covered up, etc. Makes no sense to me in a way, but also saw a few liquor bottles here and there in the mornings. Lol! I understand that a huge part of all of this is just the social aspect, which I enjoy probably more than the building aspect. So, will I go back? You bet. The folks I met are the best, and Americans are the friendliest people on the planet (except the one vendor who gave me heck for putting my coffee cup on his supposedly $6K rug). Lol!
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 08:22 AM   #22
Model51

I don't lift a finger to make the Hershey show happen, don't participate in the set up or clean up, don't have to do any paperwork or all the other chores associated with a big show. I just show up and walk around.
I also don't have to drag my stuff into a vehicle, unload it, haggle with folks all day, deal with the weather, then load the unsold back into a vehicle, drive home, unload and pay for this privilege. I just get to look at what everyone one else brought to the show and hope to find some treasures.
Sure it could be like the old days with all the stalls filled with great parts, but unlike days of old, I buy parts on-line from the comfort of my home all year long.
Sure I'll half-heartedly complain about golf carts, empty spaces and such, but every year attending Hershey is a highlight and I wouldn't miss it for anything. Even with all the changes, it's a wonderful thing.
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 09:40 AM   #23
woodiewagon46

What get's me is the people on their golf carts "hugging" the flea market vendor tables and expect you to get out of their way so they don't have to get out of their cart. I'll stand their for 10 minutes if I have to to make them back up and go around me. Last year, my 55th year, I witnessed some jerk riding around on an old Harley, dozens of golf carts and some guy with a motorized cart that he would sit on and drive with his parts on. However, the last thing the A.A.C.A. wants is to have any of their workers confronting any of these jerks.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 11:44 AM   #24
Tim Brown

Id love to attend Hersey this year, 2024, and be a vendor for EV8 parts. My RV is 24 ft long and I haul a 12 foot cargo trailer. If anyone has available spots or room in their spots I would certainly be interested. Even if the spots were not connected, I could make it work. Like drop my trailer and then camp across the highway. Anyways, just startin to look early... Thanks, Tim
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 06:21 PM   #25
woodiewagon46

Tim, that's not how it works. All flea market spots come from the A.A.C.A.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 12:30 PM   #26
32phil

Just a quick idea of what it takes to have a vendor spot at Hershey:
Must be a member of AACA
Must have a current Pennsylvania Dept. of Revenue Tax ID number.
Must have your Tax ID present on the spot at all times.
Must file and pay taxes TWICE a year if you have qualifying sales.
It's an honor system so if you think you can fib and say no sales + no tax. I suggest you try that two or three filings in a row and they will take your Tax ID back. No sales for the midyear filing is OK as Hershey is only once a year. Still gotta file tho.
Remember No Tax ID no Spot.
Don't forget Hotels the closer you get the more expensive. We're at the Mainstay Suites about 3 miles from the fields 4 nights almost $700 plus meals. I already put down $180 deposit when we left in October for 2024.
We just registered with the AACA and paid (Yes $300 for 3 spots) for next year in December.
All this planning and paying is done almost a year in advance.
I'm already in for 2024 to the tune of $480
I have no idea if I'm going to be able to attend in 2024 but I must commit and pay now.
Want your own personal Porta Potty? That will be $200. You can pay that in August. Then at least you really do get to Go.
A lot can happen in a year Sooo After all of your planning and paying and preparing we have a Hurricane or just a miserable rainy cold 4 days you get to stay in your Hotel or follow the Commander around Dollar General.
Every empty spot you see represents someone who paid and didn't get to attend.
Sounds like I'm Complaining? Nope I love it. 2023 was my 50th. Year attending. Never missed one except for Covid when it was cancelled.
I'm going to keep going till I can't. I told my kids when that happens discreetly spread my ashes. At least I won't have to deal with the Tax Filing BS any longer.

Last edited by 32phil; 01-05-2024 at 12:34 PM. Reason: spelling
32phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 03:21 PM   #27
Kurt in NJ

Some people only sell on one day, the other times they are out looking.
You don’t need a tax number if you only display but don’t sell anything.
My space usually only has my car, a couple things in the car laying on the dash for sale, everything else is on the tables next door.
I solved the hotel problem by sleeping in the car.
Even with the empty spaces there are still many more vendors than in the 70, 80s
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 05:44 PM   #28
ronn

32 phil- you summed it up well. PA turnpike fees have at least doubled and on and on.

I do miss the old Hershey, but frankly get so much more done with the internet. I have never been so productive and grateful for my computer. Many vendors no long er attend, not because they dont want to or cant- but because its just not feasible any longer.
Change will always occur and I havent been to Hershey in 10 years. I doubt I will ever attend again, and dont find that a bad thing. Just is what it is.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 11:13 AM   #29
my2nd40

Just be glad that Hershey happens. It’s all good for me, even dealing with the occasional “Barney Fife” volunteer.
my2nd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 11:47 AM   #30
DavidG

If traveling from the west, try I-80, US 322, and US 22; no tolls and about the same travel time.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 04:48 PM   #31
greenie-reddy

The space fee increase will encourage some vendors to reduce their number of spaces; and it might decrease the number of folks renting a space solely for parking. The future may bring a contraction in the number spaces rented. Nothing lasts forever. Enjoy Hershey for as long as you can.

As for the large number of “mobility devices”, we are all headed there. If it helps some enjoy the Meet when they would otherwise stay home- great, I’ll keep dodging the able-bodied fools. No one who is a serious shopper at Hershey rides a scooter unless they have to.

Don’t complain about the Fall Meet- get a space, bring some parts, make it better.
greenie-reddy is offline   Reply With Quote