Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Droobie

Default uncovered upholstery panels

Hey yall, I was wondering if anyone on here has any experience with the bare interior panel sets that Cartoche and LB sell? From what I read they come ready to go just cover them in the material of your choice. They even come with the fastners....?

Last edited by Droobie; 05-01-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Droobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
Doug in NJ

Default Re: uncovered upholstery panels

"just" cover them?

Making an authentic-looking set of panels, with pockets, etc. would be a lot of work, and you would really need a special upholstery sewing machine. Cutting panels from scratch would be an easy part.

But if you want panels that are simple, just covered with fabric, it's probably worth getting them pre-cut.

BTW, I am in the middle of installing a nice mohair L-B interior, and I am finding that most of the panels are a bit oversize. On a lot of the panels I am having to peel away the fabric on one or two edges, and trim the cardboard down about 1/8" to 1/4". I cannot say if this is an issue with their panels in general , or just for my body style. Also, the thick mohair fabric (which seems quite high-quality, nicer than what Ford used on the panels) makes the problem worse. If I were going to install another S/W interior kit, I would consider having them send me the cut panels for me to test-fit, and I would trim them as necessary and send them back to be covered.

Doug
Old 05-02-2011, 03:05 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droobie View Post
Hey yall, I was wondering if anyone on here has any experience with the bare interior panel sets that Cartoche and LB sell? From what I read they come ready to go just cover them in the material of your choice. They even come with the fastners....?
You mean the "kick panels" under the gas tank and on the cowls, correct?

No, I've not yet had to use them.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
Keith True

I've used them on three trucks.A 28 RPU,A 30 RPU,and a 30 closed cab,and have one more set to cover for a 31 closed cab.Cutting them out is easy enough,but at the time I bought them the price difference between buying raw panel stock and buying the pre-cuts was something like $12.If you can buy panel stock locally you might save,but if you have to have it shipped it will be oversized,and nowadays that is a big factor.The pre-cuts are not oversized,at least not for the pickups.Absolute authenticity is not an issue for me,so I didn't have to sew or bind.I live near LB,and watching them cut the panels is the best part of the operation.Lay the stock on the table,program the machine for the application,line the stock up in the grid and push the start button.In a few seconds you have a panel with all the cutouts and holes.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
Droobie

Hey there fellas! Thank you for your input.. Doug I understand what you are talking about but i am trying to do everything possible by myself to my Tudor. I just dont have the extra money to be spending on those expensive interior kits. Thank you for your input though.... Mike, No these are the peices cut out of backing board before they get covered and sewn.. Kind of a cool idea for someone that has little money but wants to have fun in an A.... Keith, Thank you for input on this. I thought for a minute that I was maikng these up in my head haha. Authenticity is no big for me either. I just want something that covers the doors and up around the back. Thanks again gents!!

Drew
Old 05-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #6
Steve Wastler

Droobie, if you were closer you could borrow my industrial sewing machine! It's an older model and works great, but when my wife found out i could sew.......
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #7
Droobie

LOL Steve I really appreciate the thought. My grandmother gave me her old singer machine last year and I have played with it here and there...... wife has no clue of course. Thanks again!
Old 05-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
31Tudor

Drew, I sent you a private message.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote