Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2023, 03:54 AM   #41
ronn

Default Re: How Old Is Too Old?

on the club chicken Barb, just leave it at the next meet and pretend like you forgot it............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 09:53 AM   #42
Big hammer

Different strokes for different folks, it’s not your age, it’s if you’re able
Old 08-09-2023, 03:04 PM   #43
Planojc

Like someone here once said, " You are never too old to have a happy childhood. "
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 04:48 PM   #44
john in illinois

I turned 80 this year and am celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary. We have
Lifted weights and exercised for about 20 years. We are both in good health.
I still work in the shop and drive my A’s . We used to take big trips every summer. Now we have scaled back and take short day trips or weekend trips. I do not think I will ever do another restoration.
I have slowed my pace and enjoy my blessings at 80.
I am glad to hear others are enjoying old age.

John
Old 08-10-2023, 01:48 AM   #45
stevemclark

George Burns told Johnny Carson that anyone who was ten years younger than him was young and anyone who was ten years older than him was old. Then he said he didn't know anybody who was old anymore.January 20, 1896 – March 9, 1996, 100 years young.

Last edited by stevemclark; 08-10-2023 at 02:07 AM.
stevemclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 01:37 PM   #46
Russ B

The thoughts brought up by Bob B, the original poster, have largely been lost. An automatic transmission and power steering are clearly not everyday modifications to our A’s. When I started rebuilding my cabriolet I was about 65, now am 77, and was particularly concerned with steering effort and the heavy clutch pedal. Rather than go to extreme lengths, I just worked on the edges to reduce pedal and arm strength needs. Shorter clutch lever and shorter steering box arm were two fairly easy modifications that changed the geometry enough to make driving much easier.

The issue of too old or not has little to do with actual age, as everyone ages differently. For me, a big factor is the need to keep moving every day.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 01:57 PM   #47
Benson

Smile Re: How Old Is Too Old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarrett View Post
To me, this inspiring story underscores this topic perfectly:

I met am older gentleman a couple of years ago in our community who was in his early 80's and had severe COPD an other serious health issues and lived alone. He was on oxygen and other medications and his daughter was told to bring in hospice to care for him - it was touch and go for a while; they weren't sure he was going to make it. During this ordeal, he started reading about Model A's while confined at home and somehow got bit by the Model A bug. He found a '29 Tudor on Craigslist, bought it and had it delivered to his home. He got really interested in driving and working on the car some when he had the strength. After a short time, he was driving the car more - almost daily and went everywhere in it...with his oxygen bottle and breathing medications in the seat beside him!

On an outing a few months later, he was out in his Tudor and got his shoestrings tangled up in the pedals and couldn't get his foot on the brake pedal and hit a pole. Crumpled up the left front fender pretty good. Undeterred by that setback, he had the car taken to a body shop, had the fender repaired and was back on the road in no time attending some Model A driving events and short tours. He told me that he credits buying that Model A with giving him a new lease on life!

Never give up on what you love to do!!

Now I know why my Drill Sergeant told us in 1967 to tuck the SHOE STRINGS inside our boots!!

SSG Lawyer must have been a Model A guy!

"Book 'em Dano"

Last edited by Benson; 09-01-2023 at 10:31 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 02:01 PM   #48
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ B View Post
The thoughts brought up by Bob B, the original poster, have largely been lost. An automatic transmission and power steering are clearly not everyday modifications to our A’s. When I started rebuilding my cabriolet I was about 65, now am 77, and was particularly concerned with steering effort and the heavy clutch pedal. Rather than go to extreme lengths, I just worked on the edges to reduce pedal and arm strength needs. Shorter clutch lever and shorter steering box arm were two fairly easy modifications that changed the geometry enough to make driving much easier.

The issue of too old or not has little to do with actual age, as everyone ages differently. For me, a big factor is the need to keep moving every day.
Russ B, not to argue but aren't the clutch arms longer? https://www.brattons.com/CLUTCH-RELE...uctinfo/11270/

"This steel arm is made a little longer which will reduce the clutch pressure by about 30% which makes for easier pedal depression."

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 08-31-2023 at 11:45 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 02:11 PM   #49
Russ B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Russ B, not to argue but are the clutch arms longer? https://www.brattons.com/CLUTCH-RELE...uctinfo/11270/

"This steel arm is made a little longer which will reduce the clutch pressure by about 30% which makes for easier pedal depression."
In my case it made a big difference in pedal effort. And yes the aftermarket arm was longer the the old one. I also recall that I heated and bent it a bit to improve angles.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 11:29 PM   #50
Dave Mellor NJ

We have a guy in our club who's 96. He drives his 26 T touring to a cruise most every week
Dave Mellor NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 06:17 AM   #51
nkaminar

Maybe 120 years old is too old. Depends.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 06:56 AM   #52
Keith

We have a young gentleman in our club who up to last year at 91 was driving his A and just recently I met a gentleman from FL on the National Tour who was 89 and going strong.
Old 09-01-2023, 09:26 AM   #53
Bob Bidonde

Wow you all! My new goal is to live to be at least 100 and drive my Model A's till then. I am anxious to take my great grandchildren for a ride in a 100+ year old Model "A"!
Old 09-01-2023, 04:42 PM   #54
Bokobob

Never too old in numbers of years. If you can still do it, do it. I don't have an old car, but love motorcycles and finally sold my last one two years ago at age 85. I know I ould still ride, but my adult kids harassed me and I just gave up and sold.
Run your own race. I didn't and regret it.
Bob
Bokobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 05:09 PM   #55
Marshall V. Daut

After about age 90, George Bruns would always have a new quip about his age for the press on subsequent birthdays. One I particularly like - and can now identify with - was on his 95th (?) birthday. George said: "Today I am 95. I can still do everything now that I could do when I was 18, which should give you some idea of how pathetic I was at age 18". Sound familiar to any readers here? Good old Nathan Birnbaum (George's real name)!!!
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 08:01 PM   #56
stickshift

There's no replacement for George Burns...Say Goodnight Gracie.
stickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 09:25 PM   #57
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
I will be 81 this coming October, and since 2008 I have survived B Cell Lymphoma three times. I just finished a six-month chemo therapy, so I am out of shape. However, I am still driving my Victoria and soon will start refurbishing my 1931 Coupe since driving it 50,000 miles (restored in 1980). Model A's are great therapy for us Gen X folks. May God bless us all!
Bob, I too have been down that damn Lymphoma Road(twice, two different kinds of Lymphoma but both bad) and it is rough. I understand what you are saying.

I had a Stem Cell Therapy at Chicago NW Hospitals in June, 2022. Of course you have to go thru all the prep crap before that and there in lies my 'problem'.

The SC was successful at least so far, but the RICE chemo ruined nerves in my legs and feet. It is a slow process coming back. It really tears you up.

But enough of that my point in regards to Model A's is, I was sure last year I was done with old cars and would never be able to enjoy them anymore. Slowly, I have come back somewhat. I can drive a stick shift again. It is still a bear at 6'6" climbing in and out of our '30 Roadster but hell it was like that before all of this started anyway The trick is being able to maneuver your feet to drive the car. Model A's are a bit tight.

I'm in Physical Therapy working on building my legs and all back up, it is helping. I am determined to get back to where I was before. I don't do meds, I stay as far away from them as I can. Try to eat the right foods instead.

So in summary, if any of you guys are dealing with this crap, or know someone who is, please hang in there and force yourself to get physical like Olivia Newton John used to sing. Work it, build those muscles back up. That is the key try not to sit around too much even though that is the more comfortable thing to do!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 04:47 AM   #58
Bruce of MN

Great advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Bob, I too have been down that damn Lymphoma Road(twice, two different kinds of Lymphoma but both bad) and it is rough. I understand what you are saying.

I had a Stem Cell Therapy at Chicago NW Hospitals in June, 2022. Of course you have to go thru all the prep crap before that and there in lies my 'problem'.

The SC was successful at least so far, but the RICE chemo ruined nerves in my legs and feet. It is a slow process coming back. It really tears you up.

But enough of that my point in regards to Model A's is, I was sure last year I was done with old cars and would never be able to enjoy them anymore. Slowly, I have come back somewhat. I can drive a stick shift again. It is still a bear at 6'6" climbing in and out of our '30 Roadster but hell it was like that before all of this started anyway The trick is being able to maneuver your feet to drive the car. Model A's are a bit tight.

I'm in Physical Therapy working on building my legs and all back up, it is helping. I am determined to get back to where I was before. I don't do meds, I stay as far away from them as I can. Try to eat the right foods instead.

So in summary, if any of you guys are dealing with this crap, or know someone who is, please hang in there and force yourself to get physical like Olivia Newton John used to sing. Work it, build those muscles back up. That is the key try not to sit around too much even though that is the more comfortable thing to do!
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 09:44 PM   #59
Darrell Kinnan

I'm 88 with arthritis and get along ok. Plan to drive my Model A as long as I can
D.Kinnan
Darrell Kinnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 09:21 AM   #60
Bob Bidonde

May God bless us all and keep us safe in our Model A's regardless of how vintage we are!