Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #21
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: my alternator that look like a generator

I picked up a John Deere lawn tractor alternator at a swap meet. It's small and shaped like a powerhouse and puts out 40 amps. I don't recall the JD model it fits, but check ebay and you may see one. They're also black. You would have to change the pulley for the wider 5/8" belt.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #22
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
I wonder how much work it would take to put one in a powerhouse case. I might look into this further later this year. Rod

I have one right here at my feet that I am looking at which has a 12v Hitachi alternator inside of it.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #23
Modelakid31

Send a message via AIM to Modelakid31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
I like it!

I understand why guys run alternators, but when you see a Model A engine compartment with a conventional alternator bolted on it is mentally akin to a rattlesnake jumping out at you, it takes away from the rest of the car.

You know, butt-ugly.

THIS is a far better cure to butt-ugly.

I feel the same way! I think this is a route worth going.
Modelakid31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #24
AL in NY

oljoe001, do you have any other photos of your genernater build. What did you make the case out of?............Thanks, AL.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #25
1931 flamingo

Looks like an opportunity for a new "cottage" industry??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #26
anteek

Brent,any chance of pics of the Powerhouse/Hitachi?
anteek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #27
oljoe001

Hi AL, I don't have any other pictures of it off the truck but I can tell you I used 20 Gg sheet metal for the housing the back I used a strip of sheet metal and bent it in a brake the shrunk the eges till it was round and tig welded it in then tigged nuts inside to hold the generator back on. its quite a lot of work. I also welded up my 2" pulley and machined it so it would fit. if the Hitachi will fit the original housing I would go that route. I probably would have had I known. I do believe the Hitachi is about 300.00 if I am correct. also I believe it has an external fan that might cause issues??
oljoe001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #28
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by anteek View Post
Brent,any chance of pics of the Powerhouse/Hitachi?

Yeah but it looks just like any restored P/H generator so there is nothing to see. On the regular units, the only detection is on the band there is a 1" square hole cut to allow air to escape.

I realize some that have never seen, --nor used these units will be skeptical but here's the deal. They are very realiable for up to about 35 amps of continuous use before the housing becomes hot. Remember that the housing and the case are machined for a press-fit so the case becomes a huge heat-sink for the alternator's manufactured heat. An aftermarket scoop air deflector will take all the heat away at 35 amps where it runs cool but that is about going to be the limit. So here's the deal in my view, if you have an air conditioner compressor, a downdraft carb., an aftermarket cyl. head, an electric fan, yada-yada on your Model A engine, the look of the modern alternator does not look anymore 'out of place' than the rest of this stuff. Therefore, whats the use of going to the trouble or expense of this type unit?

The benefit of the hidden alternator IMHO is for someone who has a very stock-appearing restoration that has taken re-silvered original reflectors and mounted halogens in place of the incandescent bulbs for additional lumens. For continuous night-time driving with plenty of lighting will require an output of around 20 amps which can be a little stressful on a stock generator for prolonged periods. I put this item in the same category as someone who installs a Mitchell synchro-ed transmission. Like having the cake and eating it too, ...and not everyone likes looking at their cake.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #29
Kurt in NJ

I would like to know how many have tested their alternator for output on their car, just because it is a "40", "60"etc amp alternator doesn't mean that it will have that output after it warms up, or that the drive system can transmit enough horsepower to make that amount of amps --many of the alternator installations I have seen would be hard pressed to make as much as the original generator due to the small belt contact area of the needed small pulley, for many years I used 50cp bulbs, and had to crank up the generator to 18+ amps to make them bright, now I have Halogen bulbs --15 amps is enough to have a + charge with the lights on, and I can see better, as for "stressing the generator", it has worked for 40 years , I see very little mentioned about any wiring changes when an alternator is used, if the alternators actually made the 40-60 amps i would think there would be many reports of the 20 amp wiring burning up.

Does anyone have a good picture of the high output police, and bus generators for the A, and B engines?
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #30
oljoe001

I think one of the benefits of running a modern alternator is the fact that I have a regulator plus the extra power I am running halogen headlights I have a hidden power source for GPS or what ever I want. I will be installing a secret radio that you wont even see at all, not speakers or the control panel. You see I believe you can have your cake and eat it too.. with a little ingenuity and my alternator doesn't even get hot matter of fact its always cooler than the motor by far.
Thanks
Joe
oljoe001 is offline   Reply With Quote