Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-08-2016, 05:38 PM   #1
mike657894

Default Are there maps that lay out under 55 routes????

Is there a resource for routes all over the united states that avoid all free ways?
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:41 PM   #2
flatford39

Default Re: Are there maps that lay out under 55 routes????

Yeah...it's called a road atlas. What we all used prior to the computer and then the internet. I still keep one in my truck.
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:43 PM   #3
DaWizard
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to DaWizard

Auto Club "trip map"
'28 left brake ccPickup
'31 SW Town Sedan
'28 AA Stake Bed
'30 Cabriolet
'42 Super Deluxe 4door Sedan

"If it don't fit, get a bigger hammer.
If it breaks...... ya needed a new one anyway!!"

Doing a good job here is like wetting your pants in a dark suit.
It gives you a warm feeling, but nobody notices.

Never pass up a bathroom
Never neglect an erection
Never trust a fart
DaWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #4
Ed Saniewski

I use the walking route on AAA maps and MapQuest. It keeps you off the interstate highways and is easy to plot. Just be careful they don't try to send you over a river on a walking bridge. where are you trying to go to?

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #5
WTSHNN

I use google maps for all my travel both in my modern and in my "A".

Just select "Highways" and "Tolls" under "Avoid" and it'll keep you on Model A friend roads.

-Tim
Old 12-08-2016, 06:41 PM   #6
c. sefton

Gazetteers
Old 12-08-2016, 06:46 PM   #7
springerpete

Rand McNally " Road Atlas."
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:07 PM   #8
CarlG

On tours with our club, I just follow the Blue Tudor. No problem.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:13 PM   #9
mike657894

I do have an atlas. Used last it when I got off the turnpike north of chicago and did a rural tour around the big mess in my everyday truck. But all these internet sights seem to just give you the high way route no matter the setting or just say no way when you put walking or biking route from say bay city mi to Minneapolis mn. Ill try some more. But the tattered 6.95 atlas from the joplin misssouri walmart will work better when I need it. I need to stow a compass too.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:30 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

A compass is really handy to have. I picked up an engine last night from 60 miles north of me in some small town and when I left his house my GPS told me to turn left, but I knew I had to turn right. It was dark and unfamiliar territory so I drove around the block and headed what I thought was south. Luckily it was the right way, but it's hard to tell directions at night or on very cloudy days.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:31 PM   #11
John Stone

We use state issued maps. Just contact them on the internet and they will send you the current map. Great resource.
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:33 PM   #12
WTSHNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike657894 View Post
But all these internet sights seem to just give you the high way route no matter the setting or just say no way when you put walking or biking route from say bay city mi to Minneapolis mn.
So, using what I suggested in my previous post I went to google maps, put in Bay City, MI to Minneapolis, MN.

Without any restrictions selected it gives you a 727 mile, 10 hour 58 minute drive, that's if you go south around Lake Michigan and Chicago. It's 11 hours and 1 minute if you go north through the UP.

Choosing to avoid highways and tolls takes you on a 758 mile, 16 hour 8 minute drive.

Looking over the directions provided without highways and tolls shows that at no point do you get on a US Interstate.

I've put several thousand miles on my '31, in at least 5 different states, using this method and have never had a problem.

I know technology isn't everybody's thing but it works.

So, FWIW, try it.

-Tim
Old 12-08-2016, 11:14 PM   #13
H. L. Chauvin

I always use Tim's reply 5 & 12 suggestions and use Google Maps for traveling on "unknown" back roads.

The different Google travel times indicated between each different point of departure and arrival location is very accurate and takes into consideration actual posted speed limits along a particular route.

For example, for traveling 150 miles:

A. One back road may have a quick travel time because of a 55 mph speed limit for all of the 150 miles; and,

B. If selecting another unknown back road, it may indicate much more travel time because of a mixed 25 mph & 35 mph speed limit plus several traffic lights for all of the 150 miles; hence, Google will indicate more travel time required for this particular route.

C. Next Google also list in writing where to turn right and/or turn left on different numbered highways or streets and indicates the distance in miles between turning points.

D. Not all rural areas maintain their road signs ..... but with distances listed between signs, one knows where and which way to turn even if a sign is missing.

Lots of people travel in circles all of their lives ..... just no way to help them. LOL
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:25 AM   #14
J Franklin

Here in Oregon we have had people die using onboard map systems to nowhere.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:20 AM   #15
H. L. Chauvin

Per #14, over the past 20 years of reading Model A Forum questions, countless Model A Forum members could not find an electrical wiring short when using a test lamp/multi-meter while looking at a Model A electrical diagram ......... following lines indicating roads on a road map is not that much different.

So many foot soldiers also get lost annually while on patrol, in daytime, even with a map in their hands ..... and many construction workers on a project shiver when asked to interpret plans and/or mechanical/electrical diagrams.

Appears Map Reading 101 is just one (1) subject that might be a very helpful elective at any level of education, to help anyone navigate through some of the obstacles in life .... might even help some Congressmen to better understand the constant rapid upward direction of the 19 Trillion Single Line Debt Diagram. LOL
Old 12-09-2016, 06:37 AM   #16
mhsprecher

Some people can't read maps, as HL says. One of my best friends and an old car guy, can't. I love maps and enjoy reading them. I suspect it can be learned, but some people's brains don't work that way. My sister can't use a GPS, much less a map.

I planned a short tour for this weekend and learned one thing that maps I was using didn't tell me, which was that some roads I chose were gravel. Some old car folks don't want their cars driving on gravel roads, understandably, but if I had not driven my proposed route beforehand, I would not have known this. We are trying to stay off of some of the primary roads due to traffic and speeds.

AAA is a good source of maps, too, for those who are members. If you really want to stay off of the beaten path, which we are attempting with our short tour this weekend, those maps aren't much help. Finding those county map books that were once so common is getting hard to do. I used a combination of hard copy maps, Google Maps and Map Quest on my computer to plan the route.

Lastly, I think GPS makes you stupid. It is a huge help, but if you rely on it too much, you turn your brain off.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:06 AM   #17
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post

So many foot soldiers also get lost annually while on patrol,
A friendly correction....a soldier never gets lost, he gets 'mis-orientated'. A Marine, sailor and flyboys get lost.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #18
BILL WILLIAMSON

While WALKING, I got lost, in the middle of D.C, on a CLOUDY day????
Bill Vertigo
Old 12-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #19
SSsssteamer

Quote:
Is there a resource for routes all over the united states that avoid all free ways?
Here in Washington state, we have bicycle touring maps. I always refer to them when mapping out an old car tour. They avoid steep up hills, fast traffic, and usually they travel the scenic back roads. I pick them up free from the Chamber of Commerce. A person could travel across the United State using the bicycle tour routes. Pick them up at the different Chambers of Commerce offices as you drive across the country.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:26 AM   #20
Tacoma Bob

A good friend is a retired long haul truck driver. He delivered yachts all over the continent. These drivers need to map out the trip avoiding overpasses and bridges and freeways. If you know any long haulers they may have exact reference material you need.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:31 AM   #21
Steve Plucker
BANNED

[QUOTE=mhsprecher;1396856]Some people can't read maps, as HL says. One of my best friends and an old car guy, can't. I love maps and enjoy reading them. I suspect it can be learned, but some people's brains don't work that way. My sister can't use a GPS, much less a map.

I planned a short tour for this weekend and learned one thing that maps I was using didn't tell me, which was that some roads I chose were gravel. Some old car folks don't want their cars driving on gravel roads, understandably, but if I had not driven my proposed route beforehand, I would not have known this. We are trying to stay off of some of the primary roads due to traffic and speeds.

AAA is a good source of maps, too, for those who are members. If you really want to stay off of the beaten path, which we are attempting with our short tour this weekend, those maps aren't much help. Finding those county map books that were once so common is getting hard to do. I used a combination of hard copy maps, Google Maps and Map Quest on my computer to plan the route.

Lastly, I think GPS makes you stupid. It is a huge help, but if you rely on it too much, you turn your brain off.[/QUOTE]

HA! Exactly! That is exactly what the Dish Network guy did last week in trying to find our place...After telling them three times how to get here, their GPS unit took them right by our place and still took them 15 more miles to the north and ended up at the Snake River Bridge!

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 12-10-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:29 PM   #22
Jeff/Illinois

I have very little faith in GPS. I've been fouled up by it too many times to count.

I still use the ole Rand McNally maps, gets me thru every time. But not the spiral bound Atlas the old fashioned flat book works best.

Once in France, running around looking at WWI battle sites, the Somme, a GPS tried to run us down what amounted to a cow path, literally, with sharp rocks, leading out west of the big Lochnagar Crater outside of Albert, France that the Brits blew up under the German lines. If any of you are familiar with this area you will know how agricultural it is. There is NO WAY an automobile could travel THAT route and not get blown tires. Plus there is still barbed wire fragments and steel rods left over from the trench fighting. The farmers pile it up in the corners of their fields every spring, the stuff keeps working it's way up to the surface even 100 years later.

Not a good dirt road to travel unless you are in a tracked vehicle w/o tires
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:46 PM   #23
denis4x4

If you're in Durango and punch my address in to your GPS, it will take you 2 miles further so that you pass a Conoco station! As a volunteer at th USFS book store, I heard countless horror stories from map buyers as to how their GPS screwed up. GPS is great on a boat, now so good when you're touring the back roads in the west .
Old 12-09-2016, 01:54 PM   #24
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
What research did you do that failed. Did you google, try auto club, etcetera? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 04:30 PM   #25
w.michael

I have planned tours using MapQuest in the past, but can't anymore. I used to just put in the beginning and ending points and let MapQuest make a route. Then I would look at the route, and drag the blue line over to the local roads that paralleled the highways. This used to work very well, but no more. MapQuest improved their site so much that you can't drag the route lines in the new version. Now MapQuest is useless in mapping tour routes.

Tom, my smart phone has a compass feature on it that seems to work.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:56 PM   #26
Tom Wesenberg

I agree about MapQuest going downhill. When something works great, just leave it alone. Photobucket also changed about 5 years ago, and now I can't post to Ahooga, and I can't even get back into my old photobucket account.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:16 PM   #27
Tom Foster

[QUOTE=w.michael;.

Tom, my smart phone has a compass feature on it that seems to work.

W. Michael[/QUOTE]

I think it depends on the mapping app. My phone has one called Here, that found a couple of addresses in Louisiana that Mapquest and Google Maps could not. Plus it's Bluetooth enabled, so it plays through the speakers or my phone audio either.
Fearless
Tom Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:19 PM   #28
H. L. Chauvin

Could not help but to add this if traveling through pasture land in your Model A in rural areas.

Cows: Just try looking this up on the internet.

Some swear that if cows are eating, it is said that they either face north or south ..... take your pic. No limit to what is written on the internet.

Checked it out the other day going to work ...... somebody must have demagnetized this whole herd. LOL
Old 12-09-2016, 11:36 PM   #29
mike657894

I went to google and it did give a south cycle route which is windy but would get it done. these things are getting better.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:49 PM   #30
Charlie Stephens

The navigation system in my 2007 Mercedes has the ability to route you not using freeways. Check your navigation system and see what it has.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:53 PM   #31
mhsprecher

I am never lost. Sometimes I don't know where I am, but I am never lost. ;-)
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:04 AM   #32
hotrodalley

I use a 1950's Road Atlas. Its great and uncluttered with any interstates.
hotrodalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:22 AM   #33
Tom Foster

Back to the original question, you might look for region or area maps. I have Texas Hill Country, Central Texas, South Texas, that are quite a bit more detailed than the TXDOT map which leaves out a lot of stuff. You can find state atlases which go over a whole state page by page. Finally, if you're really serious you can find a Butler Motorcycle Map which is incredibly detailed, down to dirt roads accessed by gates, and rates them by difficulty, Grade One, Grade Two, etc.

Or just stay off the Interstates.

Fearless
Tom Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:38 AM   #34
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
I am never lost. Sometimes I don't know where I am, but I am never lost. ;-)
Never lost............just exploring new territory.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:57 AM   #35
ian Simpson

We are members of our local Motorists Association. They give out free maps of every province and state. They also have street maps of a few major cities. Lots of help.

But then, I was actually taught to read maps in Geography class.

I also have a talking GPS and compass apps on my phone that I seldom use.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:49 AM   #36
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Never lost............just exploring new territory.
agreed, on nice days I just pick a direction and go. As long as I know what side of the Il river in on I can never be lost.

anyways my Garmin GPS has ability to avoid highways and unpaved roads. Very rarely does it spaz out and not take me where I need to go. I usually just have it and have it on so I know where I am and use it as a scrolling map.

I should also note in highschool drivers ed part of the class was map reading, the teacher would pick a spot in the state and you had to get back home by writing out turn by turn directions with distances! Also I think in cub scouts we had to plan a family trip and use the map along the way giving directions.