Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-06-2016, 01:03 PM   #1
Bill Cal.

Default Borg Warner overdrive questions

Could folks that know please give their thoughts on the Borg Warner overdrive for a model A? How do they compare with the Mitchell in turns of reliability and performance? Are they known for any problems? Easy to repair?Have they been around as long? Thanks for all and any information, Bill
Bill Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:19 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Borg Warner overdrive questions

Borg Warner has been around since the 30's and almost all my Studebakers use them. They've been totally trouble free for me, but when they are adapted to the Model A you have to be sure they are locked out of overdrive before backing up, or you can mess up the overdrive unit. I'd like one in my Model A.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:27 PM   #3
tbirdtbird
BANNED

let us know how you make out

Last edited by tbirdtbird; 02-03-2017 at 12:32 AM.
tbirdtbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #4
CarlG

My Dad's Fords and my Mercury from the '50s all had Borg Warner Overdrives. They worked great.

As for my preference in "MY" Model A, I chose the F150 Tremec 4-speed overdrive. I think it's great, but that's just me.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:48 PM   #5
Tom Endy

My recommendation would be a Mitchell overdrive. They are factory made, come with a warranty, and have a gear ratio of 26% that is better suited for a Model A with a standard 370 ring & pinion. They are a straight forward shift and require no electrical help.

The Borg Warner Model A overdrives are all a product of a cottage industry. Some were made well, some were not. Back in the 1970's the Borg Warner conversion was all that was available for a Model A and they served the purpose. Most have a 33% gear ratio that is too high for a Model A. They require a pull cable shift and electrical assistance. They are prone to failure due to oil starvation. You have to be careful not to attempt to back up with the electrical engaged or you will likely do damage. You also have to remember to disengage the electrical when parking as a dead battery will result unless the governor is included in the circuit.

There are several articles on the web site of the Santa Anita A's recommended in a post above about both the Borg Warner and the Mitchell overdrives.

Tom Endy

Last edited by Tom Endy; 12-06-2016 at 04:43 PM. Reason: top paragraph should read 378
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:32 PM   #6
duke36

Have had them all; Ryan (Colorado), Borg Warner, Mitchell, F150. The Mitchell is great, all mechanical/no elec. involved, variable ratios available and fine customer service. Used to be problems getting 6 volt Solenoids, seals and other parts for the Borg Warners but not sure currently.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #7
harryc

I have had a Borg Warner and a Mitchell. My vote goes for the Mitchell.
harryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:08 PM   #8
31a

I had a BW for 2 years they are somewhat high maintenance, and require some thought when using. I changed it out for a Mitchell and am very pleased with it.
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:15 AM   #9
AL in NY

My vote is for the F150 OD 4 spd. All synro and ZERO maintenance problems. Also, there is no noticeable change in the appearance of your Model A and the price is comparible to the Mitchell and BW.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:41 AM   #10
modelAtony

Get the Mitchell and never look back , it will be the best money you will ever spend. I have been involved in driving many miles using the 4 speed ford and the 5 speed Indy, area unit . If you do go Mitchell you will never be sorry. Have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:57 PM   #11
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL in NY View Post
My vote is for the F150 OD 4 spd. All synro and ZERO maintenance problems. Also, there is no noticeable change in the appearance of your Model A and the price is comparible to the Mitchell and BW.
I will second that motion.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:07 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL in NY View Post
That would also be my first choice.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:27 PM   #13
Bill Cal.

I want to thank everyone who responded to this thread. I have been looking for many years for the right Victoria to tour in and one came up sale with a Borg- Warner in it. I have learned a lot from all of your help. Thank you very much, Bill
Bill Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:37 AM   #14
Jason in TX

I have a Borg Warner and two Volvos. One in my 1931 and one in my 1934. I love the Volvo. Electric switch for on and off, no cable, just a hidden toggle switch. you can split all forward gears, so you get 6 speeds forward. I was passing cars with the tremic F150 4 speed in the Colorado tour because I was in second and Volvo unit on, so it was like being in 2.5, but less than 3rd. The F150 cans split first and second gears so they were lugging in 3rd and revving too high in second going up the mountain

Love the Volvo.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5911.jpg (100.3 KB, 251 views)
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:38 AM   #15
Dodge

Bill the Borg Warner unit is a good one although a little antiquated but that's what I like about them. They look a little more period correct. You can can find them used for about
$750 to $900 used.
I have three of them and they work well but more combersome than the Volvo unit or the Mitchell.
The Mitchell is a well thought out and built unit. It is definitely the best of the bunch.
They are very straight forward to install with some mechanical savvy. If you don't think you can do it check with a local club, you will probably find several people to help that have done it before.
The other thing about the Mitchell is the gear spread with a 3.78 rear end and the 26% overdrive is the shift from 3rd to overdrive has a nice spread feeling like a 4 spd. Trans just going to the next gear.
I have installed several in customer cars and they are a real pleasure to drive.
So....on the cheap a borg warner and to go deluxe..the Mitchell

My 2 cents...
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:52 AM   #16
jhowes

Tom W. and others? Why is it that the Borg Warner is a problem when backing up that we have to be careful of? I had a 51 Studebaker that had a Borg Warner and never was concerned about backing up, so what is the difference? Plus, unlike Volvo, it is a 6 volt unit. Looking to put one in my 31 Willys open drive shaft. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:29 AM   #17
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowes View Post
Tom W. and others? Why is it that the Borg Warner is a problem when backing up that we have to be careful of? I had a 51 Studebaker that had a Borg Warner and never was concerned about backing up, so what is the difference? Plus, unlike Volvo, it is a 6 volt unit. Looking to put one in my 31 Willys open drive shaft. Jack
The factory setup has a rod in the tranny that moves to lock out the overdrive when the tranny is shifted to reverse. When the overdrive is removed and installed in the middle of the driveshaft, this lock out rod isn't in play, so you have to be sure to pull the cable to lock it out of overdrive.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #18
Bob Wright

I'm in agreement with post #7, Have had both the B.W. & the Mitchell & find the Mitchell to be the the winner,hands down.
Bob Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:45 PM   #19
jhowes

Thanks Tom, it is nice to know the technical reason for things. It sounds like I will have to keep that in mind if I put one in my
Willys even though it will be next to the transmission. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote