Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
wrndln

Default Coil id

I bought a couple of old coils at a swap meet last week. I am posting a picture of the two coils below. One has "Autolite" on it (slant pole) and the other coil has a Ford script with a oval circle around the Ford on the upper part of the coil. I am not sure if they are 6V or 12V. Does anyone know how to tell what voltage they are? There are no markings by the terminals or anywhere on the case (except what I described above) I can see. I am not sure if they are any good, but I didn't pay much for them so it is no big loss if one or both are bad. Tom W. told me how to test the coils, but I can't remember how to do it as I didn't write what he said down.
Thanks for any help with how to tell if they are 6 or 12V and if they are good or not.
Rusty Nelson

Last edited by wrndln; 05-02-2011 at 06:36 PM.
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Re: Coil id

First problem is that they were both more than likely oil filled coils and the oil may be gone. Shake the coil to see if they have any liquid.
Measure across the positive and negative terminals with ohm meter. meter should show fro 1 to 5 ohms, then go from one small terminal and the secondary output terminal connection--ohms should be in the 1000s like 3,000 to 12,000 ohms . If continuty is shown on both tests they are more than likely functional coils.
Based on age i would guess 6 volts. The other issue would be positive or negative ground????
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Coil id

Connect the condenser between the two coil primary terminals. Clip one battery post to one coil primary post, then touch the other battery post on and off several times to the other primary coil post while holding the high tension wire 1/3" from either primary post, and you should get a good blue spark each time the battery wire is disconnected from the coil primary post.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote