Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #1
oldskool

Default running boards 41 ford

im trying to remove my running boards to install new covers but the bolts holding the running boards are rusted and just turning is there any access to these nuts that im not aware of. any help appreciated
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
42ford

Default Re: running boards 41 ford

You can use a hole saw to cut a hole in the top side of the rocker box to try to get to the cage nuts. If you do that you can then patch the holes you cut which will be covered by the floor mat.
Dick
42ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
416Ford

I would thing you would prefer to cut the head off the bolt before cutting holes in the rocker.
Once the boards are removed you would need to either find a way to weld or hold the nut from the bottom side and remove the leftover bolt. Option two is to punch the bolts in and replace with new.

Back to your original question " is there any access to these nuts that im not aware of"
Not from the factory.
Dave W
416Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
42ford

These bolts go into cage nuts , if you cut or punch them out, just how do you recomend holding the new bolts on. Have you ever seen a rocker box?
Old 10-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #5
416Ford

Replaced both sides on my car.
You can weld a nut into the hole if you punch them out or you may be able to install new cage nuts.
416Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
41Fordor

Depending on your patience and skill level...I had good rockers and cut windows (from the bottom) with a cutoff wheel and welded new stainless steel cage nuts in then welded back up. Not visible once the running board is installed. With the body on the frame the frame rails limit cutting a window from the back side of the rocker

On the B-pillar I just used windows and for a 5/16 U-nut widely available from Mustang vendors
41Fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:53 PM   #7
42ford

It will work from the top or bottom just as well. The bottom is covered by the running board and the top by the floor mat. I just found it easier to work on the top than the bottom. The thing about using cage nuts instead of welding a nut to a hole is when you are installing the running board the cage nuts will allow a little movement to align better
Old 10-25-2011, 12:29 AM   #8
fordor41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ford View Post
It will work from the top or bottom just as well. The bottom is covered by the running board and the top by the floor mat. I just found it easier to work on the top than the bottom. The thing about using cage nuts instead of welding a nut to a hole is when you are installing the running board the cage nuts will allow a little movement to align better
I cut holes above the bad bolt/nut and replacedwith a nut welded to a metal strip. Belt the strip in a "L" shape, lowered into the rocker box and threaded the bolt. use anti-sieze. has worked for 18 yrs. and removed numerous times.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #9
Big Al

Hi,
as i remember the "l" shaped brackets that hold the running board to the frame are secured with bolts and nuts. Rather than trying to remove the board from the bracket, it might be easier to work on it if the bard is removed trom the car itself. You might consider using all stailless steen hardware. No rust remember, "rustless"
stainless steel will not attach itself to a small magnet. Some so called "stainless" steel has too much steel in it . I hope this helps.

Big al
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote