Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
wrndln

Default Sandblasting powercoated parts

Has anyone tried to sandblast the powdercoating off any parts? I have heard that powdercoating is a very hard finish and wondered if I need to remove powdercoating from some parts, would sandblasting work best. I have a good pressure blaster that works good for regular paint and rust.
Thanks
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
Craig Lewis

Default Re: Sandblasting powercoated parts

The sand pretty much just bounces off.
I've found the best way is a propane torch and wire brush, then finish up with a good sharp grit like black nickel slag in the sandblaster.
I had very limited success using gel paint stripper.
Of course there's different grades & quality of powdercoat & I've worked with only one brand so your results could vary.
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
James Rogers

If the part is compatible you can use a caustic tank to remove the powdercoat. I had a wheel that didn't coat right and used the tank to strip it.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

I pretty much find the same as Craig. I did sandblast a few small parts and it took a while to remove the powdercoating, but finally got it off.

I once had the lower steel water pipe powdercoated inside and out, only to find out later that you should never powdercoat the inside, because the powdercoating comes off and plugs the radiator tubes. I use 50% antifreeze, so I wonder if it's the hot water, or the antifreeze that removes the powdercoating?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
Jazzjr

Here is a link for Pads that are used on a grinder, specifyed to remove Powder Coated Parts, but I think you could buy them Local.

Chemical strippers will remove powder coating. Again, powder coating is very tough, so you must find a stripper that will work. Home Depot sells a heavy-duty stripper for industrial finishes including powder coatings, but it takes a long time.
Industrial strippers made for removing aircraft paint are supposed to be pretty good
for powder coat.

http://64.78.59.162/merchant.mvc?Scr...ry_Code=SIDBLK
Jazzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
CCWKen

I use a commercial stripper. It takes off powder coat in about 30 seconds, paint in 10 seconds and skin in about 3 seconds if you're not protected. It even removes anodizing from aluminum. It's not something to play with or use without safety gear so I would take it to a powder coater to remove. You can try the "industrial" marked strippers but I don't know any that work. At least within a day. Probably the easiest way for the home-shop to remove it would be to torch the surface to flash-burn it then sand blast.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
TechNova

If it won't sandblast off you have found a good powdercoat company.
Not all powdercoating is equal, use the one that doesn't sandblast off.
TechNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
Kevin in NJ

Oven cleaner is one method suggested on powder coat forums. Never tried it so I do not know.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:54 PM   #9
Benson

FYI:
When torching powdercoat do so in well ventilated area. See red text below.

11-04-2010, 06:22 PM #4 rob mcdonald

Re: Powder Coating

Brent Terry totaly rebuilt the front end steering, steering gear and brakes with the new drums on my 29 Tudor in 2005. Brent powder coated ever piece including the steering tube. The results were great plus the coating is very robust compared to paint. That is why decks on most lawnmowers are coated. To clean you can use glass cleaner. Brent had the powder coating process down to a science in 2005 and knows the ends and outs of the process.

One item I will add is there are some fumes from powder coating that are dangerous particularly if you over heat the process. Also for a powder coated piece that one may later weld do so in a well ventalated area.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
Doug in NJ

If you have an old barbecue grill lying around, try roasting it off. Throw the parts in, crank it up, and leave it for 30 minutes or so.

This technique will also remove grease and caked-on filth and of course ordinary paint. I think it will also loosen up the tough black rust, the stuff that sandblasting seems to take forever to remove. A couple of my window glass channels had that sort of rust in the bottom of the inside of the channel. My bead blaster would not touch it. After the roasting treatment, the stuff came right off in the bead blaster. Perhaps the heating and cooling causes enouigh expansion and contraction to break the rust particles loose.

Doug
Old 11-07-2010, 12:53 PM   #11
popcorn-guy

Did a google seach http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 and found this particular product that may be of interest.

http://solventkleene.com/pcstrip.htm This may be a good way to go for the hobby shop as it doesn't have any inherent dangers to one's self.

If you use the above search you will find a host of others that will prove to be interesting.
popcorn-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:35 PM   #12
sandman

yeah, most powdercoating is a pain to get off with the abrasive bouncing back.

I have used aircraft stripper before and it works fairly good but I just can't stand how nasty that stuff is.

-Eric

Last edited by sandman; 01-26-2013 at 07:26 PM.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:52 PM   #13
rob mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
FYI:
When torching powdercoat do so in well ventilated area. See red text below.

11-04-2010, 06:22 PM #4 rob mcdonald

Re: Powder Coating

Brent Terry totaly rebuilt the front end steering, steering gear and brakes with the new drums on my 29 Tudor in 2005. Brent powder coated ever piece including the steering tube. The results were great plus the coating is very robust compared to paint. That is why decks on most lawnmowers are coated. To clean you can use glass cleaner. Brent had the powder coating process down to a science in 2005 and knows the ends and outs of the process.

One item I will add is there are some fumes from powder coating that are dangerous particularly if you over heat the process. Also for a powder coated piece that one may later weld do so in a well ventalated area.
May I suggest getting the facts first hand? All manufacturers are required to provide a Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) that give information on the possible hazards of materials. Please keep in mind materials vary from one supplier to the next. Also don’t underestimate the risk short term or long term.
rob mcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote