Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2015, 05:49 PM   #1
mrtexas

Default Very nice brake job

Nice but expensive brake job from Snyders, new cast iron drums trued to hubs, shoes arched to drum and all new parts inside, woven shoes as original. Somehow Fedex delivered 3 out of 4 drums from Snyders. I guess the other one will come tomorrow.

Someone else will be enjoying the fruits of my labor. If I can ever get them done I'll be selling a 29 roadster with fresh restoration and 28 early open cab pickup fresh restoration, both with new brakes. The 28 has many early features, more like name the parts that aren't early. Next on the agenda is shimming the body so the hood will fit on the 29. I tried an 1/8 inch shim on the front and it lines right up. Then respray the hood. This was my first paint job and didn't get enough paint on the hood so it doesn't match the body color. Wish I had known to spray 4 coats of color... Then off to get new LeBarron Bonney interior and top. I already had a new top and interior but I bought it 7 years ago when I thought it would be cool to have a 30/31 style interior and top on my 29. Back to stock. The 28 needs the passenger side door painted. Two cars at a time to finish makes for long days. Nice to be retired but have been working on 5 cars since Jan 2010. 3 almost finished plus two Model As

Last edited by mrtexas; 04-23-2015 at 06:06 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:00 PM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Very nice brake job

After all that work and expense it is a shame you won't enjoy it. For whatever reasons I wish you good luck. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:03 PM   #3
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
After all that work and expense it is a shame you won't enjoy it. For whatever reasons I wish you good luck. Wayne
Got to thin the herd a little. I have 2 model As, a 36 Ford, a 49 Ford, and a 63 Corvette with a 3 car garage. Need three lifts to store everything. Next step on the 28 is send out the brakes to Snyders. It has left hand brake and no separate ebrakes on back.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:05 PM   #4
CWPASADENA

Looks like you are doing a first class job. The car will be very nice when you finish it.

Brakes are expensive to do correctly but when the car is finished, it will be a real pleasure to drive knowing the brakes will work as they are supposed to do.

Keep up the good work.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:59 PM   #5
Mitch//pa
BANNED

just working on them is enjoyment. a labor of love
very nice job TEX

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 04-23-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:02 PM   #6
jax55

Looks like someone will get a very nice 29 when it is done. Great job so far.
jax55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:19 PM   #7
mhsprecher

I think that just about everyone on FB, if a genie would give them three wishes, at least one would be for a bigger garage.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:27 AM   #8
Will N

Those backing plates, shoes and drums look beautiful. But don't forget the rest of the braking system! If the brake pedal is loose on its shaft, and the brake cross shaft bushings are sloppy, and if the clevis pins are loose in their holes, only a fraction of the pedal motion is going to make it to those lovely new brake shoes.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:03 AM   #9
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
Got to thin the herd a little. I have 2 model As, a 36 Ford, a 49 Ford, and a 63 Corvette with a 3 car garage. Need three lifts to store everything. Next step on the 28 is send out the brakes to Snyders. It has left hand brake and no separate ebrakes on back.
Always nice to hear that cars get sold by choice. Too often it is out of necessity !
Good luck ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:47 AM   #10
jwaldrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
I think that just about everyone on FB, if a genie would give them three wishes, at least one would be for a bigger garage.

Aint it the truth!

jwaldrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:10 AM   #11
Dick Carne

Your drums and shoes look great, but I have concerns about using woven linings with cast iron drums. From my own experience, I have found that the bonded linings will work much better with cast iron drums - seems the woven linings work best only with the original steel drums. Again just my opinion. It appears that your project is well on the way and shows a lot of time and effort. Good luck with your project and best wishes toward a speedy completion.

Dick
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:19 AM   #12
vet999

Very nice! Love the color combo. What are the colors/codes?
vet999 is offline   Reply With Quote