Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-29-2014, 10:35 AM   #21
grumpys hot rods

Default Re: unisteer steering

Thanks expavr. I Agree With You Also !!!
grumpys hot rods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:55 AM   #22
HELENT

Good Morning everyone! I have finished the work on my black 1946 Ford Super Deluxe coupe long door with posie dropped front axle 8.8 ford rear end with disk brakes all the way around, 5 speed t-10 transmission. 15 x 8 tires all the way around, air condition, flat head ford with electric fuel pump and a holly 600, 4 barrel carb, with electronic ignition, and alum heads and headers.

Now the unisteer electric steering is in the car, it works great, well satisfied, you can steer the car with the palm of your hand, easy installation, I mounted mine under the dash, braced the pump off where the steering column mounts to the dash up top. No problems with clearance. Any questions you can feel free to contact me. I feel like that was money well spent, the best money spent on the car. 843-933-1472
HELENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:12 PM   #23
47Merc

Good to hear you are happy with it. Which unit did you use?

Photos please.
47Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #24
40cpe

Yes, please post pictures and put them in your album. Also, there has been lots of interest in AC on a flathead, we would be interested in pictures of that installation.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:32 AM   #25
scooder

This was asked earlier but I'd like clarification.
If the electrics fail for whatever reason, does the steering effort go back to as it was before installation, or does it become real heavy due to having to turn a now parasitic electric motor and it's gearing?
Thanks,
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:00 AM   #26
BILL WZOREK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
Yes, please post pictures and put them in your album. Also, there has been lots of interest in AC on a flathead, we would be interested in pictures of that installation.
As far as the AC goes who's unit did you use?
And yes pictures of the dash area as well as under hood Please.
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:00 AM   #27
expavr

[QUOTE=scooder;919564]This was asked earlier but I'd like clarification.
If the electrics fail for whatever reason, does the steering effort go back to as it was before installation, or does it become real heavy due to having to turn a now parasitic electric motor and it's gearing?
Thanks,

Martin
I had driven the street rod for two years without power steering. After it was installed I pulled the fuse to make sure that if it failed I could steer it. I can't guarantee that my muscle memory was the same as before, but the steering was more than adequate to get out of traffic and make a turn if need be. One thing I did notice is that the EPS smoothed out the quirky hitches in the Borgeson U-joints which might be a problem if you weren't mentally prepared for a failure.
The failure of EPS in the Cobalt and Toyota gave it a bad rap, but IMO when the failures happened the drivers either weren't used to manual steering and/or the gear ratios in the rack and pinions on those cars were too tall to deal with the failure.
It took me a few days to get used to the feel of EPS vs manual steering, but 600+ miles later I'm glad I made the switch.
O/T I finally pulled the shift linkage on the truck to take some photos and am in the process of putting a spec sheet together.
Les Williams
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:28 AM   #28
scooder

Thanks Les, I asked as I had driven one of the modern little cars that have eps. Power failed to the steering, and it became brutally heavy. As you stated, prolly due to the rack ratio be engineered for use with eps, and without it working, is silly heavy.
Thanks for the shifter update mate,
Looking forward to receiving the info.
your a star,
Martin.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:38 AM   #29
HELENT

Good Morning! To answer the question for what happens to the steering if the esp quits, i disconnected mine last night and drove it and there was no difference. It was like it was originally it was just hard as hell to steer.
HELENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:07 PM   #30
scooder

Thanks for the feedback.
Martin.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #31
Chisel

Don't you have a neighbor that has a camera?

Evil Lurks...for those that don't carry a side arm!!!
Chisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #32
117harv

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemy View Post
Isn't this the Ford Barn? I can understand talking about OHV conversions on flatheads, or maybe even electric fuel pumps, but electric steering conversions?

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expavr View Post
??????? Many of the topics on this forum such as T5 transmissions, Mitchell O/D's, 12V electrical systems, alternators, supercharging, travelogues, etc relate to the driveability or the enjoyment of our early Ford vehicles. The use of electric power steering to enhance our driving experience (like the use of an electric fuel pump) is IMO a topic that some on the Barn might be interested in considering. Kudos to HelenT for stepping up to the box and attempting that installation.

Really? here is what Ryan has to say on the subject, if you feel it should be different, maybe talk to him.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Display Modes
12-19-2010, 02:00 PM #1 Ryan
Administrator

Hey Fellas... Some Clarification...
I've gotten a bunch of private messages as of late about this and thought I had better speak up.

Quote:
Question: Is the Ford Barn about stock/restored early Fords?

Answer: YES!

Question: Is the Ford Barn about hot rodded or customized early Fords?

Answer: No... That's not our focus on The Ford Barn. The Jalopy Journal focuses on that stuff.
All that said, I understand there is some overlap. A great example is a guy with a '40 coupe that he likes to drive quite a bit. For drivability, he might stick a dual carb intake and maybe even some heads on his mill. Advice on such modifications is, of course, welcomed.

I realize (and I'm sure you guys do as well) that there is no broad line of separation between hot rodded and stock early Fords. This would be easy if there was... But it's important to remember that the Ford Barn focuses on the stock restorations while The Jalopy Journal focuses on hot rods and customs. Sure, we will have some "sidebars" on each site covering more bases, but the general premises remains.

117harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:39 AM   #33
expavr

"All that said, I understand there is some overlap. A great example is a guy with a '40 coupe that he likes to drive quite a bit. For drivability, he might stick a dual carb intake and maybe even some heads on his mill. Advice on such modifications is, of course, welcomed."

117harv

I won't presume to interpret Ryan's thinking on the term "for drivability," but suggest that HELENT's steering modification might qualify as appropriate in this context. As I indicated previously there are many topics on this Forum that are peripherally related to our Fords and have little or nothing to do with "stock/restored" Fords but are of interest to everyone in that they give us a different perspective on how to enjoy our vehicles and to enhance their performance. It would be a shame not to use this venue to expand this source of knowledge and experience. If Ryan disagrees I stand corrected.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:55 AM   #34
Ol' Ron

I think the braves people, are the purest that restore their cars to the original. I have a nephew that does this for a living. These people spend time and many dollars to accomplish this. Unfortunately, not all people interested in returning their old cars back on the road. Realize that the original car is not compatable with todays traffic. Disk brakes, auto trans, OD, and PS. among other things make these cars safer to drive. Yet they all have our beloved Flathead engine, it may have a modern ignition system a better carb, or even an engine management system. But all this is to insure the reliability of the car in question. You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend to the death, you have the right to say it. Nuff said on this subject.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote