Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
rickmass

Default which way

Ok this a dumb guestion,which way does the motor turn on a flat head motor,I know there will be some guy,s running out to look at there,s Rickmass
rickmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
David J

Default Re: which way

Dunno bout newer stuff but a 33-34 crank only turns the motor clockwise and you kinda need to be looking at the front if you are cranking . Counterclockwise of course if you are behind it .
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmass View Post
Ok this a dumb guestion,which way does the motor turn on a flat head motor,I know there will be some guy,s running out to look at there,s Rickmass
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
Ronnie

Standing in front of the car facing the rad the engine rotates clockwise.I only know of one American engine that doesn't and that is a Corvair flat motor even tho the eng is in the back and there is no rad..Hope this helps.All v8 v6 in lines are the same.Any others will be soon be identified by fellow barners.

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
Willit Stop

If you're in doubt,turn ignition off,open the hood,shift the transmission into high gear and roll the front wheel forwards.Watch the fan (or the crank pulley),it will turn in the same direction as the engine.Or use the starter.
Willit Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:29 AM   #5
Mart

With only a very few exceptions, virtually all motor car engines turn clockwise when viewed from the front. The front being the end that doesn't have the flywheel on it. In a transverse application the front could be on the left or right, but when looking at the engine from the front it will turn clockwise.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:29 AM   #6
rickmass

Thank,s to all that reply.I just wonder how many guy,s went to look at there,s.Rickmass
rickmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
dieseldr

Hi all-

I'm new here, but this concept bears some thought more than you think. I've seen many guys find ads for a "container full of diesel engines cheap". Most always they are detroit diesels, and almost always they are former military salvage units from tanks or boats that use a LH and a RH engine in each vehicle. Lots of this stuff gets decommisioned, and put up for sale, and guys end up buying containers full of LH engines trying to pawn them off as RH (highway) applications. As the saying goes, if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
dieseldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
Bluebell

FWI, there are many left hand rotation engines.
Detroits can be built up in an incredible number of options (flywheel front or back, left or right rotation) I believe. (I am now out of my depth)
I have worked on a Chrysler 318 left hand rotation engine, in a Clarke forklift.
There are many matched sets of marine engines (a pair, 1 left rotation, 1 right hand rotation)
G.M built Stag hounds (WWII armoured cars) had twin engines, but I don't know if they were opposites or the same.
Left hand rotation engines usually have the big end drillings in different planes (so a different crank is required for each) That's not to mention camshafts etc.
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote