Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

View Poll Results: Relay rally across America poll- Would you?
Volunteer as car/driver 50-75 mile legs, in your State 56 81.16%
Volunteer as support - tow, repair, parts , etc, in your State 27 39.13%
Volunteer as meet and greet at way points, in your State 27 39.13%
Can't volunteer but support the idea 7 10.14%
Volunteer as State Road Captain, planning, organizing your State 6 8.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2016, 12:35 PM   #1
burner31

Default Relay across America - POLL

Would you be willing to participate in a relay rally across America, by driving your Model A through your State in a measured relay leg of 50 - 75 miles?
Avoiding all major highways, stopping at historic points of interest in a timely but unhurried pace?
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:59 PM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Relay across America - POLL

As per your post on the other thread you might well want to add he question, are you willing to donate a sum of money for each mile you drive!
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:24 PM   #3
30ccpickup

Piling on idea's for the next one.... It might be fun, instead of pony express style, go from club to club as a tour relay with multiple cars on each leg. At the end of each stunt the next club in the relay can host a thing to see in their town and help plan for a hotel if need be. Like I said, next idea, this one is great!!

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.

Last edited by 30ccpickup; 05-25-2016 at 03:45 PM.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:27 PM   #4
burner31

I should clarify that this is NOT a sign up.

Just wish to gauge the level of support for this type of event.

Don't be shy...be honest
Old 05-25-2016, 04:32 PM   #5
mhsprecher

A neat idea.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:56 PM   #6
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

I knows one person who cares not to participate in any of the above items in your Poll......our resident One Star Bandit!!!!!

The person needs to get a life.....IMO.

I'm curious on how many from each state will be interested in participating because that will depend a lot on the route to be taken if this comes together.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:20 PM   #7
Y-Blockhead

We just need to learn to ignore the star rating...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:40 PM   #8
Marcus

Burner31: I volunteered for the first three categories; willing to help any way I can. When you start planning routes, and traveling through Mississippi, please consider the beautiful Natchez Trace - runs from Nashville, TN all the way to Natchez, MS. Speed limit is 50, sightseeing encouraged and NO commercial vehicles permitted. I am located 15 minutes off the Trace, and have the capability of rescuing anyone who might need help. Certainly NOT an expert "A" repairman; however, can supply the "fix-it" space!
Old 05-25-2016, 07:46 PM   #9
DJ S

Very interesting idea. I'm more than willing to participate if this ever truly becomes a thing.
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:36 PM   #10
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Turley View Post
What is the route you are suggesting that this adventure is to follow? That will greatly affect who might be interested in participating.
That will depend upon who and how many from each state wants to participate. Say, if only one from one state volunteers, is he/her going to drive the whole distance across their state? I think it could go all around a state as long as it does get eventually passed to another state. Lot's of co-ordination will be needed. Can't be me at the moment, I'm involved with something that is making my hair fall out, keeping me up at night and it's not a woman.

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 05-25-2016, 09:37 PM   #11
Barber31

I voted in the can't volunteer column because I read the relay thread after I read this thread. So being that this could possibly take place in 2018 I may be In a position to participate. As of right now body and chassis are seperated for restoration.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:44 PM   #12
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Burner31: I volunteered for the first three categories; willing to help any way I can. When you start planning routes, and traveling through Mississippi, please consider the beautiful Natchez Trace - runs from Nashville, TN all the way to Natchez, MS. Speed limit is 50, sightseeing encouraged and NO commercial vehicles permitted. I am located 15 minutes off the Trace, and have the capability of rescuing anyone who might need help. Certainly NOT an expert "A" repairman; however, can supply the "fix-it" space!
Marcus:
I thank you for your enthusiasm and support.
But I think the originator of this idea has the right tack on the route planning for each State...let each State, State road Caption and participants determine the final route.
Keep it grassroots and keep it simple

If this truly does come into being, "you" can help plan for your State.

Please do not think for one minute that I had anything to do with the creation of this idea, I am just as enthusiastic and all in as you...

This gem of an idea belongs to the originator...one man..31 Model A
Old 05-25-2016, 09:47 PM   #13
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber31 View Post
I voted in the can't volunteer column because I read the relay thread after I read this thread. So being that this could possibly take place in 2018 I may be In a position to participate. As of right now body and chassis are seperated for restoration.
There's always "meet and greet" along the route in your State.
A smile and a wave are always welcome.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:48 PM   #14
modelAtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
Would you be willing to participate in a relay rally across America, by driving your Model A through your State in a measured relay leg of 50 - 75 miles?
Avoiding all major highways, stopping at historic points of interest in a timely but unhurried pace?
So like a mini great american race. Make it more interesting run about 100 - 150 miles give or take. might work have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:16 PM   #15
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelAtony View Post
So like a mini great american race. Make it more interesting run about 100 - 150 miles give or take. might work have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA

May have to do 100 miles or so in Texas, seeing as how their State is as big as freak'n Europe. A Nation in their own right.

But once again...that would be up to the State road Captain, the participants and of course the number of cars/drivers.

Could have just one car/driver per State, but then what fun would that be for the hundreds and hundreds of other cars/drivers that wish to participate.

Guiding rule...keep it simple, keep it fun...as many Model A's that can be reasonably accommodated per State.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:28 AM   #16
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelAtony View Post
The 50-75 miles was just numbers off me head, there wouldn't actually be any restrictions, per se. The only restrictions would be individuals putting restrictions on themselves and their A. I know one member of our club that thinks nothing about jumping in their A and driving a few thousand miles. Larry is another one that has no restrictions, per se....that I know of. I was just taking into consideration old bones, old tires and not getting too far away from home, being able to participate going and returning in one day....comfortably.

I see the interest is growing..............

Old 05-26-2016, 07:51 AM   #17
kenparker

Here is one Texan that would be willing to help in any way necessary, even to driving the whole way across, from Sabine River to ElPaso. I would even try to get the two clubs I belong to to get involved.

One of my trips on my bucket list is t recreate a trip by some model A frieds from 15 years ago - Trip around perimeter of Texas. someday. ken
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:06 AM   #18
Don/WI

I think it's a great idea and am willing to support it as much as possible. I will bring it up at our next meeting to rally support. Don/WI
Don/WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:54 AM   #19
JohnLaVoy

Sounds like an interesting idea, I'm just curious why it needs to be a separate event instead of making it an organized part of something already being put together. Make plans to travel to a MAFCA or MARC national meet in 2018. Lay out the route and have things planned along the way, that way you get your rally and support a national organization. Just my opinion.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:37 AM   #20
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLaVoy View Post
Sounds like an interesting idea, I'm just curious why it needs to be a separate event instead of making it an organized part of something already being put together. Make plans to travel to a MAFCA or MARC national meet in 2018. Lay out the route and have things planned along the way, that way you get your rally and support a national organization. Just my opinion.
Although most everyone belongs to a MAFCA/MARC Club, I was just thinking "We Band of Barners".............. Nothing says that state clubs can't be a part. Most state clubs from North to South, East to West know of each other and I think, that being, the state relay from entry to exit would be easy to co-ordinate.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:07 AM   #21
Don/WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
Although most everyone belongs to a MAFCA/MARC Club, I was just thinking "We Band of Barners".............. Nothing says that state clubs can't be a part. Most state clubs from North to South, East to West know of each other and I think, that being, the state relay from entry to exit would be easy to co-ordinate.
I totally agree. This is a good way to participate without the need to travel a great distance. Don/WI
Don/WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:11 AM   #22
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLaVoy View Post
Can't it be/do both?

Can't an independent effort support a National Organization, and vise-versa, can't a National Organization support an independent effort?
Old 05-26-2016, 11:36 AM   #23
31 Model A

A good example, I'm between two clubs, one directly East and one just South in St Louis, there are quite a few north of Springfield, I joined the club in St Louis, they were a bit closer but Istill I can't participate in many of their outings or even meetings but as an individual, for example, if the relay came into Illinois from Indiana directly east of one club, a member could drive over, meet up and head back west, now I could meet them in their home location and then drive it over to Missouri or, it could be handed over to me here, then I would drive it over to Missouri, just an example, it could tour a whole state before being passed over...........Club or individual, get your name on the list to your state Capitan, tell him/her where you are, tell him/her how far you can or want to drive in one direction. He/she puts you on the mission board and location along with contact info. It also doesn't have to run continuously, it could spend the night due to foul weather or other encounters along the way, home cook meal for example, parade through small towns, etc etc.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:09 PM   #24
burner31

Zagkly
Old 05-26-2016, 06:22 PM   #25
31 Model A

Quote:
Zagkly
I can see this coming together.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:47 PM   #26
Gary WA

International Model A Ford Day! What a way to show off all those Model A's and the people who keep this Hobby alive. This would be a great day to do this!!
Old 05-26-2016, 11:04 PM   #27
burner31

Crunching numbers, I figure 107 days minimum, Model A Day being just one of them, who will be the lucky drivers on that day? What event awaits them? Be like winning the lottery, a story for the grandkids thats for sure.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:09 AM   #28
31 Model A

Bump..............

There have been six volunteers as Road Captains.............this project will need enough states participation to get from the East coast to the West Coast. Anyone else for now? A good winter project to organize your state for next year.

Old 05-28-2016, 04:18 PM   #29
loubob

I like the idea very much!
Count me in!!!!
loubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:23 AM   #30
31 Model A

If you're old has petrified dog shite like I am and your memory is called, "the ole grey mare", I can only remember a certain thing over a few weeks. Thought I'd bump this and see what new interest it might generate.

Any suggestions in naming this adventure?

Old 06-04-2016, 09:28 AM   #31
31 Model A

Relay Across America "The Model A Way" .

I've been up all night so please, humor me today!!!!

Old 06-04-2016, 01:25 PM   #32
burner31

I was thinking:

Trans-American Model A Relay

TAMAR 2017
Old 06-04-2016, 02:11 PM   #33
31 Model A

We need 57 State Captains and so far we only have six...and that's not even enough to go in a direct line from east to west/west to east.

Old 06-04-2016, 02:29 PM   #34
31 Model A

Quote:
I was thinking:

Trans-American Model A Relay

TAMAR 2017
Actually, Barners now are in the 'doing' mode instead of the 'planning' mode. Come 1 Nov, I believe more planners for the coming year will emerge and this might get more motion forward for it to happen in 2017.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:18 PM   #35
mshmodela

I think this is great idea, in fact it should happen very year....

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:25 AM   #36
kenparker

OK Barners, how do we get this thing started. It can take several months to get the organizational work done. 2017 sounds lke a good target to start the Relay.
First -we need a National Coordinator or captain
Second -State or Regional coordinator or captain
Third - someone/s to make the decision of route and timing. (approximate timing).

I am going to speak to my club (Autumn Trails Model A Ford Club) about this today at our monthly meet.

Got another idea to add to the Relay that just might peak some other interest. One, approach FORD about using the local FORD dealers as ronduvou (sp) ponts at small towns across the nation. Two, use the Relay and the media exposure to raise $$$ for a group like Wounded Warriors. For expmple $1.00 raised for each mile driven.

Fordbarn, Facebook, Twitter etc could be used as the nation communication network.

Enough of my rambling. Lets get this thing started. Ken
Old 06-05-2016, 07:29 AM   #37
kenparker

One more thing.
I like 31 Model A's name idea with a small tweek.
Relay across USA the Model A Way. almost rhymes. ken

way.