Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
partridgekelley

Default AA parts

I picked up 2 AA trucks , one is a 1930, 131-1/2" and the other is a 1931, 157". I want to build the 30 chassis but the 31 is in better shape. My question is, are the front axles the same? Are the brakes, drums, and wheels interchangable? They look like they are the sam. I just don't want to run into trouble later in this project. The 31 has a 30 engine, that seems to be in runable shape, and a 4 speed trans that might be OK(I hope). The 31 also has the longer shaft between the trans and driveshaft, can it be shortened or should I be looking for the shorter shaft. I have 10 wheels to choose from at this point. Are the duals on the rear the same as the single rears? Back to the rust! Thanks
partridgekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: AA parts

30-34 front axles are the same except the 30-31 wishbone is shorter. The wheels are interchangable
but there was minor changes is design over the years. Look by the lug holes and they will have a date
stamped on them to help match them . The 1930 in the picture has the earlier wheel, the reinforced wheel
came out in April 31 I think.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 69V_1.JPG (78.6 KB, 21 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by partridgekelley View Post
I picked up 2 AA trucks , one is a 1930, 131-1/2" and the other is a 1931, 157". I want to build the 30 chassis but the 31 is in better shape. My question is, are the front axles the same? Are the brakes, drums, and wheels interchangable?
Yes

Quote:
I just don't want to run into trouble later in this project. The 31 has a 30 engine, that seems to be in runable shape, and a 4 speed trans that might be OK(I hope).
How did you determine the 157' is a '31? No trans in the other truck?

Quote:
The 31 also has the longer shaft between the trans and driveshaft, can it be shortened or should I be looking for the shorter shaft. I have 10 wheels to choose from at this point. Are the duals on the rear the same as the single rears? Back to the rust! Thanks
There were a variety of wheels at different times so I'll put it this way. Front and rear wheels matched on a vehicle but not all wheel types could be used as duals.

If your short coupling shaft is bad or missing get the correct one. It shouldn't be difficult.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
partridgekelley

I figure the 157" and the 131" wheelbase by measuring the wheelbase. The differance in the frames is made up by the length of the intermediat shaft - or so it apears. The frames are very much the same except for the section where the shaft goes. I'm not building a show piece , just having fun! Need roll around tires , have extra parts to trade.
Thanks all!
partridgekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
pat in Santa Cruz

the long drive coupling shaft should be kept around for a long shaft AA. There are short shafts out there. In 31, the wheels had a reinforcing bead around the center disc to help prevent cracking. It also served to offset the wheels so duals could be run without the tires rubbing. The 30 wheels do not have that reinforced center disc.

when you get to the differentials, check to see if one is high speed, because that's probably the one you will want to use.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #6
columbiA

The short & long W B "AA",s should have the same brakes & front axle assy.The wheels should interchange between F & R, but originally the tires were 600 or 650 x 20 F&R if on duals,or if on singles they were usually 32x6 on the rear on the same wheels.Starting March 1930 a higher speed crown & pinion was offered as an option.The hi-speed gears are 5.14-1 & lo-speed gears are 6.6-1 ratio.The # of teeth on the R&P are stamped in numbers 1/2" high on the axle hsg. The std ratio was not stamped on hsg.If you want to drive at speeds approaching that of an "A",then keep an eye out ror an "AA" Warford aux trans that fiits in place of the coupling shaft.It will give you an under,direct & overdrive. The Warfords were also made for the "TT" as well but they are different. get a repro of the Service Bulletins & it will give you more info.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote