Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 02:03 PM   #61
29Cabriolet

Default Re: Farewell to Sears, (not 'A' related.....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
. . . . if you buy out of state you pay no taxes. . . . .
That might depend on how honest you are when filing state income taxes. In CT you are required to report out of state non taxed purchases and of course pay the tax due.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:14 PM   #62
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Back in the day, A warranty was an Ins policy against crappy material and workmanship! Then they figured out how to use "weasel Words" to use the warranty to sell the product, but not asa liability that is eventually going to cost them anything. I use to love the warranty on tools, till I found out about the "Precision Tool" exclusion. "Precision Tools" are only covered for 90 days. So my two years old Craftsman Torque wrench couldn't have been returned when the spring broke!
Terry
My first "real job" was in the Sears tool department in San Diego. Got $1.10 per hour and a 1% commission on everything I sold. I could spend hours posting the different ways customers abused the Craftsman life time warranty. One example that resulted in a visit to the manager's office for a lecture on how to treat customers. Guy comes in with a 3/4" drive ratchet beat to hell and wants a new one. I suggested that he also buy a good hammer so that he didn't have to use the ratchet as it wasn't designed to be used as a hammer. He filed a complaint with the manger.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:47 PM   #63
Jeff/Illinois

Look at the pre-cut Sear house after THESE guys got done with it

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...5bcaa9f45d.jpg

Larry.... "There's nothing pre-cut about this house. Every board is too long."
Moe... 'If that puddin' head hadn't burned up the plans we would have saved plenty of work."
Old 03-24-2017, 07:29 PM   #64
Michael M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
The local Sears store still had a very good bulk candy counter in the early 70's, but then prices were also rapidly rising, and when they price of cashews shot up to 68 cents a pound I quit buying them. The bulk candy counter was removed about a year later. Sure would be nice if we could turn the clocks back to the mid 50's to mid 60's.
I remember the bulk candy section very well. Always had to stop there when in the store. Most often the reason to be there was for the Record Department. They had a great selection of music.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:44 PM   #65
Terry, NJ

That was a real clout in the asss! That torque wrench was $75. I kept it in a special place where it wouldn't get hurt. And I always back off the spring to where the was very little tension on it. It did not get abused!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
My first "real job" was in the Sears tool department in San Diego. Got $1.10 per hour and a 1% commission on everything I sold. I could spend hours posting the different ways customers abused the Craftsman life time warranty. One example that resulted in a visit to the manager's office for a lecture on how to treat customers. Guy comes in with a 3/4" drive ratchet beat to hell and wants a new one. I suggested that he also buy a good hammer so that he didn't have to use the ratchet as it wasn't designed to be used as a hammer. He filed a complaint with the manger.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:34 AM   #66
mshmodela

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
My Dear Wife, Pat, (RIP) taught a class @ I.R.S, on accepting CHANGE. Workers didn't want to accept NEW processing changes.
CHANGE is inevitable & we MUST accept them, or be left in the DUST while COMPLAINING & BITCHING---Spare me!
Bill Happy
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
Old 03-25-2017, 07:43 AM   #67
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.
Yes, change is inevitable, change is good but only when one doesn't forget the past. Forget the past, one can't really enjoy the change.....there is no appreciation, but with that said.......why is vinyl 78s on there way back????

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 03-25-2017, 09:55 AM   #68
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29Cabriolet View Post
That might depend on how honest you are when filing state income taxes. In CT you are required to report out of state non taxed purchases and of course pay the tax due.
Check your PM, good story concerning this, and I'm not alone
Old 03-25-2017, 09:59 AM   #69
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
Yes, change is inevitable, change is good but only when one doesn't forget the past. Forget the past, one can't really enjoy the change.....there is no appreciation, but with that said.......why is vinyl 78s on there way back????
Yes, there's a reason the folks in Germany are ditching CD's and going BACK to vinyl records, the old fashioned record player.

Ever notice too, how after a time CD's develop 'rust' and delaminate in many cases? Start to pixelate? Lousy sound and video quality if at all? Are they going to stand the test of time? They don't seem to be even now.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:06 PM   #70
Chuck Dempsey

Quote:
Yes, there's a reason the folks in Germany are ditching CD's and going BACK to vinyl records, the old fashioned record player.

Ever notice too, how after a time CD's develop 'rust' and delaminate in many cases? Start to pixelate? Lousy sound and video quality if at all? Are they going to stand the test of time? They don't seem to be even now.
My vinyl records never stood the test of time.... pop, click, skip, warp.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:40 PM   #71
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Dempsey View Post
My vinyl records never stood the test of time.... pop, click, skip, warp.
True and that depends upon the owner. I have over 80 78s all original from 1924-1938, all jazz, blues and swing. All are in mint to excellent condition. Some I paid big bucks for, some I got for a dime.....but it all goes back to the owner's and how they treated them. That pertains to just about everything, not just vinyl's but Model As, guns, wines, stamps, coins, etc, anything of value increases in value by condition.

I have broke two, quite angry at myself and still am.

We have all said, Damn!!! wish I had kept that or treated that better or wish I hadn't have sold/traded that, etc. "Hindsight is 100% better than foresight.........."

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 03-25-2017, 05:50 PM   #72
Chuck Dempsey

I always heard vinyl got 'cheaper' as time went on. I've got some 78s too and they seem WAY more sturdy than LPs from the 70's.......
Old 03-25-2017, 06:02 PM   #73
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Check your PM, good story concerning this, and I'm not alone
Any chance you'd share that story with the rest of us? Thanks!
Old 03-25-2017, 06:06 PM   #74
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Dempsey View Post
I always heard vinyl got 'cheaper' as time went on. I've got some 78s too and they seem WAY more sturdy than LPs from the 70's.......
Exactly....but actually the better "vinyl" was 'shellac" which made them easier to break but held out better against abrasives and scratches. As 'vinyl became for 'flexible', the quality of the sound produced went down and abrasives and scratches were more abundant.

"These 'vinyl' records, however, are easier to scratch or gouge, and much more prone to warping compared to most 78*rpm records, which were made of shellac." from wiki........

Old 03-27-2017, 09:44 AM   #75
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Any chance you'd share that story with the rest of us? Thanks!
Condensed version. Ill. State tax returns. You have to pay State tax on stuff bought over the Internet 'Don't leave this space blank' are the instructions. I try to do the worksheet, pay what I guessed was the tax, (don't really buy all that much on line) and the State keeps sending me a refund check for the amount I claimed I owed for tax.

A CPA told me 'I do as they say, and don't leave the space blank. I just write a 'zero' in there.'

They need to get a better system I guess.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:38 PM   #76
2935ford

Many years ago one of my first "real" jobs was at Sears.
It was part time in the tailor shop (yeah, remember them!) that afforded me my first brand new car!
I got a 10% discount on anything I bought including sale items and they had a really nice, inexpensive cafeteria.
Lots of good memories with some very nice folks that worked there.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:24 PM   #77
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2935ford View Post
Many years ago one of my first "real" jobs was at Sears.
It was part time in the tailor shop (yeah, remember them!) that afforded me my first brand new car!
I got a 10% discount on anything I bought including sale items and they had a really nice, inexpensive cafeteria.
Lots of good memories with some very nice folks that worked there.
I'll attest to that. One year during the college years early 70's, I had a summer job working at a Sears Warehouse. Great job, good pay, nice people they were like family, everyone helped each other. Plus yes we got the 10% discount on Sears merchandise. Sadly for some reason this has all gone away. I'd bet on poor management.

I bought all the Sears Craftsman tools I could afford. Still got 'em.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:23 PM   #78
Mikeinnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
Sears was a big factor in anything done locally when I was a kid.I still have an Allstate scooter that either my uncle or grandfather bought new.There had to be a dozen of those in town back then.Sears had a special on them,$129.99 ??? maybe? I still have an Allstate 250 motorcycle,We had a lot of Allstate cars around too.(Henry J)I'm still running a set of Sears tires on one A.My toolboxes are loaded with Sears stuff,my houses have Sears water pumps and tanks,a lot of Sears guns,one Sears furnace,(Homart)Still have some Sears tractors and chain saws.(David Bradley)You can look in any of my buildings and find a half dozen things Sears sold.After the storm last week I shoveled the roof of a house that was sold by Sears as a kit.The owner told me he had framed it and roofed it in two weeks by himself in the late 50's.
Try getting any replacement parts for a Sears tool that is more than ten years old.... "DISCONTINUED "
Closed Thread