Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
Vetcol

Default No Spark

I have no spark at the points. This the check that I have run so far:
6 volts at the battery
6 volts at the starter terminal
6 volts at both wing nuts on the terminal box
6 volts on both sides of coil
No volts at the points and no spark.
What should my next move be and what to check. Thats about the extent of my electrical knowledge.
Vetcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
johnbuckley

Default Re: No Spark

1) seperate the points with a slip of cardboard and recheck voltage at points, if still no voltage at points the fault lies between coil and points (eg possibly wire to ign switch, ign switchitself or within armoured cable ).
2)If you get a reading with the points seperated the fault may be within the distributor therefore -
3.)... remove ign cable from distributor body and rechcheck at tip of cable- ( if no voltage the fault lies in the circuit leading to the points from the coil.
4).... if you have Ok voltage at tip of armoured cable when its removed from distribuotr then the problem lies within the distributor( possibly a short under the lower plate.)
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
700rpm

A good next move would be to do a search for this subject on this site. If you can't find the answer there, come on back and we'll describe a diagnosis.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Franchise_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
A good next move would be to do a search for this subject on this site. If you can't find the answer there, come on back and we'll describe a diagnosis.
We will all have to remember that answer next time you ask a question. If that's all you've got to say it'd be better to just not say anything at all.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
Vetcol

I'm trying to get a problem solved with a person interaction. It seems every time I ask a question here I get a few smart azz people to answer my questions. But thats another subject.
I have no volts with the points open, no volts at the tip of the armoured cable, now what do I check.

Serious answers please, streetrodding it is looking better every day.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
johnbuckley

No smart azzes this side of the pond I assure you, mostly grease monkeys- if no volts at tip of armoured cable with the cable removed from the distrib the fault lies in the circuit between the coil to dissy. do you have volts at pop out switch ? is the switch working good? If switch is passing the volts through OK the problem lies from switch to dissy.
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
Vetcol

John I sent you a pm.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
newshirt

FYI, This schematic below is good for tracing out shorts like this.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ight=schematic
Old 08-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
dave in australia

If you have an aftermarket ignition switch, the outer terminal can touch the tank and give you ignition problems. Also, don't screw the armoured cable all the way in to the distributor, it will distort the contact plate on the lower distributor plate. Another thing to look at is if you have an aftermarket armoured cable, the switch end of the outer winding is a poor finish and has a pointed barb from being cut, when you wind it in to the distributor, you can cut the insulation of the power wire in the center and short it out. All three of these happened to a friends A, which I was giving a hand to, when he was trying to start it for the first time.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
31Tudor

Just remember that you would not have 6 volts on the tip of the armoured cable unless the switch was turned on. Then you should have voltage to the tip of the cable. Not sure if you had the switch on or off for your check. If you dont have voltage to the tip with the switch on...then it could be the switch itself.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
Vetcol

Tested both ways on and off still no juice. I've got 6 volts at the red wire going into the switch, but how do you check if you have juice comeing out?
Old 08-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise_24 View Post
We will all have to remember that answer next time you ask a question. If that's all you've got to say it'd be better to just not say anything at all.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
Vetcol

Yes, it does. I had the same thing in the V8 forum, and my 35 Humpback goes pretty good with the GM drive train and motor. So, remember there are no such thing as dumb or bad questions, because all of us are not as stupid as the people who have smart azz answers as they know nothing at all.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post
You are not supposed to have voltage with the points open, nor at the tip of the armored cable. It is a ground path.

Maybe thin skin goes farther in street rodding.
Voltage should show all the way to the movable points contact if they are open and the key is on. If the ignition switch is on and good, and the rest of the ground side of the coil circuit is good then the entire ground side from the coil ground post to the points should show no voltage with the key on and points closed. Open any circuit whether it's the power side or ground side and you should show voltage to the open spot. Since the coil shows 6 volts on both posts we know it's not seeing a path to ground, so we know it's not shorted to ground, but rather has an open somewhere. My first guess is the ignition switch isn't working.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #15
Vetcol

Is there an easy way to check the key switch?
Old 08-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #16
28Annie

I had these exact symptoms earlier this year. After much head-scratching & poking around the issue ended up being that the wire inside the armored cable was broken inside of the housing where it screws into the side of the distributor. An experienced Model A guy told me that this happens on occasion because the cable gets unscrewed a number of times throughout the years & it twists the wire. The only way to make sure you aren't doing this is to remove the distributor & turn it into the ignition wire housing & then replace the distributor once the wire is set in place.

Good luck with tracking down the problem. There really are a lot of people on this board who genuinely are trying to help out.
28Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #17
Roadster62

Has anyone ever done and PRINTED a step by step test of EVERYTHING elictrical you need to get a Model A running? EVERYTHING, bit by bit, how do you test it and with what tools? If every part was known to work, and installed correctly I would think more cars would be running. We can repair dents because we can see and feel them, electricity is somewhat like religion you have to believe in something you can't see. Bob
Old 08-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #18
Steve Wastler

I don't see where Rays reply would be considered smart ass, It was a good sugestion, as there has been much written regarding this and many A issues. I think your reply to him was smart assed. It seems that people now all want an easy route, and don't want to spend time doing a search. As my neighbor says "if it was easy everybody would be doing it"......
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:05 AM   #19
Vetcol

Before posting I checked the search and really didn't get an answer.

IF EVERYBODY DID THE SEARCH AND ACCUALLY GOT THERE ANSWERS, WHAT WOULD WE NEED THIS FORUM FOR?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:08 AM   #20
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetcol View Post
Before posting I checked the search and really didn't get an answer.

IF EVERYBODY DID THE SEARCH AND ACCUALLY GOT THERE ANSWERS, WHAT WOULD WE NEED THIS FORUM FOR?

The forum not only continues new discussions, it also stores all of them for future use.

This is general forum etiquette and has been for many many years.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote