Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #21
RcT

Default Re: Do You "Save" Parts for a Rainy Day?

I read the Swap ads and once in a while I will run across an item wanted by somebody that I have, for example, a '28-'29 threaded gas filler screen. I had one on my car and a part like this will never wear out. I just packaged it up and mailed it to him... He was thrilled, I felt good and it was Christmas all around. Try it sometime... it feels good to be a good guy once it a while.
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #22
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcT View Post
I read the Swap ads and once in a while I will run across an item wanted by somebody that I have, for example, a '28-'29 threaded gas filler screen. I had one on my car and a part like this will never wear out. I just packaged it up and mailed it to him... He was thrilled, I felt good and it was Christmas all around. Try it sometime... it feels good to be a good guy once it a while.
Yo, RcT,
Givin' away stuff is GREAT FUN! Bill W.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #23
gunmetal blue

Send a message via Yahoo to gunmetal blue

would you be willing to sell some of them spare parts? If yes please e-mail me at [email protected] ) or call 574-221-1475
terry_rose2002

Last edited by gunmetal blue; 08-10-2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: it underlines the address and mark the _ out.
gunmetal blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #24
ericr

well the hoarding is part of the reality of the free market system, I guess. I thought that Bill Harrah hoarded a lot of antique cars. one could argue that anyone of us could do what the Model A hoarder does, given enough funding and time....two huge variables, however. the hoarded parts probably work back into the free market eventually. My dismay is more with the exhortations we read here to use original body parts without acknowledgement that many of the decent ones have long since been acquired....and hoarded.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #25
ken ct
BANNED

Thanks for the help Vince,keep your 34 pumps i'll find them elsewhere.ken ct. You and guys like you are the horders.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #26
Rainmaker Ron

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Man's tendency to keep "stuff" for no discernable reason is what makes our hobby. Reasonable people would have scrapped all the old A's and parts when cars "came back" in the early 50's.
For those of us that are string savers, I composed this:
Keep an orderly shop and an orderly mind
for you cannot use
what you cannot find.

Rainmaker
Rainmaker Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #27
Purdy Swoft

Here is some of my rusty stuff. I've been collecting since the late fifties when my cousin gave me a model A wheel.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 08-10-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #28
Purdy Swoft

I keep the ready to use parts in cans that are labled and orginized. The coffee cans near the door contain my Zenith carbs. The sedan is blocking the view. The walls are lined with shelves filled with model A parts.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #29
ericr

I doubt any of us are going to schedule an intervention for the hoarders LOL. I do hope that newcomers to the hobby read these comments to learn that they shouldn't flippantly part with original parts because savvy hoarders will snap them up without remorse. The newcomer only learns later that the shiny repro parts he thought would replace his aged parts don't work well.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #30
Purdy Swoft

I've got rebuilt generators and starters, generator and starter parts ammeters cutouts wiring harnesses ,horns,rebuilt water pumps, water pump cores, water pump parts and fans. I've
Old 08-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #31
Purdy Swoft

Some of my transmission cases. Gus is blocking view of some of the backend parts like geear sets bearings spider gears,axle nuts,axle keys, universal joints and housings To the left of the center window I have shock parts like levers links special mounting bolts and other stuff, speedometers, speedo drive gear assys.,cables and speedo parts, pitman arms, shortened and stock professionaly reballed steering arms, The other wall has steering wheels steering sectors new and used steering parts. two tooth housings rebuilt with needle bearings, spring shackles, king pins and much more. Some
Old 08-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #32
quickchange

I filled a 40* container out of Sacramento a couple of years back, Just to save from scrap. took 3 guys 5 days of cleaning & stacking. Great fun,
Question for PURDY, When is the sale ?????I need to come vist ???
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #33
Purdy Swoft

Engine parts, new ring sets in most sizes, wrist pins, new piston sets,used piston sets, rebabbited rod sets, good used rods and sets,main bearing caps and sets,valves and valve parts, timing gears metal and fiber, head stud and nut sets, main bearing bolt sets,early and late style,crank sh
aft pulleys and ratchet nuts and lots more. I try to keep the parts on hand so if I need to overhaul one of my engines, I'll be ready. Engine parts
Old 08-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #34
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange View Post
I filled a 40* container out of Sacramento a couple of years back, Just to save from scrap. took 3 guys 5 days of cleaning & stacking. Great fun,
Question for PURDY, When is the sale ?????I need to come vist ???
You are very welcome to visit, I don't have a sale planned. I've just been collecting so I would have what I needed for a lifetime of keeping my model A's running. I lucked up on a large barn full of model A parts in 1999. The barn find ended up being about an eighteen wheeler truck load.I already had a lifetime collection. I use to get lots of parts at swap meets.I've got a lot of parts from eBay. I like collecting parts as much as I do the model A's.

The problem about me selling parts is that most want them for less than I have in them.I guess If I could get half what I had in them it would be a lot. If I sold them by the pound, I've got tons .
Old 08-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #35
ctlikon0712

I thank those who hoard, they save the parts from a timely demise. And eventually they make it back into the market. I can't fault them for being at a juncture in the hobby that predated my need for a part. And if they are a gracious enough person to offer the saved part up to those who need it then all the more credit to them, then hats off to you!
Old 08-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #36
modeleh

I just can't fathom any decent, self respecting "Car Guy" not having a stash of old parts laying around. Lots of "conversation pieces" around my place for sure.
modeleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #37
RcT

One more thing to think about... I would guess the majority of the folks on here are getting a little "long in the tooth", and recently I have been unloading stuff I have save for years, mostly old Stanley woodworking tools. At my peak I had over 300 planes. The values have dropped dramatically and I have been giving them away to young guys who just can't find that quality anymore, and it really feels good, the receivers are thrilled and I get to see the smiles on their faces before I go.

I think it is great to collect something that might depict the evolution of the parts, such as carburetors, but to keep a stash just to say you have the stuff is pretty self-serving and not a benefit to the hobby and getting more people interested in the Model A Ford.

Think about that collection in Illinois that went up for auction last year. I don't recall his name, but you all remember the collosal mass of stuff he gathered over the years. He didn't any of it with him, it all went to auction, a lot of it had rotted at the wheels... to what end? Now there is a rich auctioneer.

I know my opinion will not go over big with everybody, and a certain amount of spare parts is to be accepted. But how many wheels, springs, hubs, etc. are stacked up in the garages of old farts doing good to nobody? Think about what will happen to your goodies if you drop tomorrow... better to see it go to good use while your still here.
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #38
modeleh

RcT, you are right on.
modeleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #39
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctlikon0712 View Post
I thank those who hoard, they save the parts from a timely demise. And eventually they make it back into the market. I can't fault them for being at a juncture in the hobby that predated my need for a part. And if they are a gracious enough person to offer the saved part up to those who need it then all the more credit to them, then hats off to you!
You have kind thoughts but I kinda doubt much of that happens, does it? The old Clymer Model "A" book from the '50s showed a guy's collection in, I believe, Pennsylvania, of several hundred Model "A" cars, all stored outside, and said he wouldn't sell any cars though he might sell a needed part to a restorer. I don't know what happened to his collection.....rusted away, I suppose.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #40
ken ct
BANNED

Who in the heck needs 34 [count] fuel pumps as spares,come on Vince let some of them go. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote