Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
AL in NY

Default More questions of fixing a rear main oil leak

Can't seem to get the rear main seal to stop leaking. I have a pressurized oil system that is pressure limited to 35 PSI. The main and rod bearings are inserts (block machining done by Rich Fallucca). The main bearing clearances were checked and found to be .0015 inches. Crankshaft end play is less then .004 inches. Schwalms did the countered weighted crankshaft and machined the slicker to the 2.090-2.100 dimension for the 2 piece cork/neoprene seal. The rear main oil return pipe is clear and not installed too far into the cap. I have tried twice to install the 2 piece cork/neoprene seal without success. The first time I installed it incorrectly by trimming it. Last month I installed it again (correctly I believe) and pressure tested it at 10 PSI and saw no leaks. I installed the engine and did the correct(according to directions) break in for the seal and saw no leaks. No leaks first the first 100 miles, but now it is leaking again. My first question: Is there some trick to installing this seal to keep it from leaking? I did think about installing the one piece Burtz seal, but my crank slicker is at the lower end of the size spec for using that seal, so I used the 2 piece seal again. Second question: Which seal would be better at sealing the rear main when using pressurization, the Burtz one piece seal (with my 2.100 size slicker) or the 2 piece cork/neoprene seal? Last question: Can high engine revolutions (3000 rpms) distort the seal during early break in operation, causing a leak? I'm getting very frustrated trying to get the rear seal to stop leaking. The engine runs perfect, it just leaves an 8 inch spot of oil anytime a stop. THANKS IN ADVANCE.