Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
RcT

Default When to leave well enough alone

I was looking at the rubber parts of my coupe today, and they are probably original to the car and hard as a rock. The door bumpers are intact, but hard and the door almost sounds like metal to metal when one shuts it. This is almost just "busy work", so it seems, and I was wondering if it is a mistake to remove this stuff and install new...
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
Gord. B by the bay

Default Re: When to leave well enough alone

I would put that in the catagory of a couple of storne chips does it make the car run better so enjoy the drive. Gord, B by the bay
Gord. B by the bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
ford1

hard and brittle is never good, and squeeking is terrible, and as you suggested its an easy fix, it will give you something to talk about with your buddies, go for it
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcT View Post
I was looking at the rubber parts of my coupe today, and they are probably original to the car and hard as a rock. The door bumpers are intact, but hard and the door almost sounds like metal to metal when one shuts it. This is almost just "busy work", so it seems, and I was wondering if it is a mistake to remove this stuff and install new...
Richard,
The bumper kit for my '30 was no big deal, and some were missing. Made a big difference!
Also, suppliers have 2 sizes of "D" shaped hollow, self adhesive weatherstrips in rolls. I put the narrow stuff around the doors (you don't even notice it's there) and put wth wide one down the trunk lid drain, and MAN what a difference!!
I had to use a piece of the wide across the bottom of the doors, as that gap is a little wide.
If you don't get it just right, just pull it off and re-stick it. It'll stick & re- stick well 4 or 5 times. Man! what a difference in quietness! Bill W.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #5
Great Lakes Greg

I just replaced the rubber componants on my phaeton project doors, and had to do a bit of trimming to get the new stuff to fit. Despite this, they no longer have a "tinny" sound when they close. The kits are cheap and it took about an hour for four doors, so it isn't a big time investment either.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote