Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-15-2014, 08:00 AM   #21
woodiewagon46

Default Re: Station wagon build/questions

RAS, beautiful job. PM me, I have an original Model A stationwagon side mirror bracket and it's yours for free if you need it.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:56 PM   #22
RAS

Again thank-you all for the kind words. I didn’t think about it until reading TonyM’s post, I guess this is really my second Model A woody wagon. My first was a few decades ago, it was the Woody Wagon hot rod kit. It came complete with surfboards and a small block chevy, maybe an AMT kit.
Woodiewagon46, thank you for your offer, I pm’d you. If you don’t see it let me know I’ll try again.
I went to the spring Marion County Fairground Swap Meet Saturday, or the swap meet/mud bog as it was called down there. I found some pieces to get back to making door hinges. As most of you probably know the wagons use a continuous piano hinge. So I’m reworking 30/31 upper windshield hinges into my door hinges.
The trick is flattening the mounting part of the windshield hinge without any damage to the actual hinge. I also weld a ¼” strip to the windshield hinge to give the door more mounting surface. I cut from 3/16” plate the door hinge portion that fastens to the cowl, then I spot weld what was the upper windshield rail to the 3/16” plate. I included a couple of pictures from an original wagon door hinge to compare to my fabricated door hinge.
P1030887.jpg P1030891.jpg
P1030897.jpg P1030898.jpg
P1030899.jpg P1030901.jpg
P1030906.jpg P1030910.jpg
P1030913.jpg P1030666.jpg
P1030602.jpg P1030649.jpg
P1030606.jpg P1030663.jpg
RAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #23
RAS

I’m sorry that it’s been awhile since my last post but yard work has been cutting into my garage time.
First off thank-you to woodiewagon46 for his generous offer of a mirror bracket, it will probably be the only original wagon piece on my project.
P1040027.jpg
I tried my 4-door front seat idea but after seeing the pictures 31 Woody posted for me and finding a 28/29 seat back picture on the internet I decided I needed to try to make my own seat if I wanted to look like an original wagon seat.

29_L_side_rear.jpg

So I’ve put a picture of my failed 4-door seat idea and then what I’m working on now. Another picture I found of the 28/29 seat back shows a horizontal brace on the cushion side of the seat back that I still have to make. I don’t have a tig welder so I just take my time welding sheet metal with my oxy/acet torch. I’m building a woody wagon but between the cowl patch panels, door hinges, various corner brackets, tailgate hardware, and now a seat back I make a lot of trips to my steel supplier.

P1040024.jpg

P1040029.jpg P1040033.jpg

P1040040.jpg P1040043.jpg
RAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:57 PM   #24
31 Woody

As I now expect from you, your work is fabulous!
Old 06-17-2014, 01:32 PM   #25
Bruce

I'm building a Station Wagon right now, too. Mine was a wagon to begin with and it has a body that was crafted in New York. Putting it together has been a guess-and-by-golly adventure because there is not a set of "plans" available at the Station Wagon special interest group ... or elsewhere that I can find. There are lots of drawings in Woody Wagon's Newsletter that have been published over the years. Back issues of the news letters are for sale.
I've been fortunate to see several "Henry" winners. Each one is beautiful. But they each have some interesting departures from the others. All this is to send another pic of the seat/door jamb angle bracket. These are swapped side-to-side from the previous example. That puts the side of the angle the seat bolts to about an inch and a half to the rear. My tummy demands every fraction of inch of comfort, so this arrangement is BEST (IMHO). Again, the car around the bracket won MARC's highest award ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seat Support.jpg (32.7 KB, 34 views)
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote