Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
squidnation

Default Help in finding any part of my dad's historic Model T

Hey all this is my first post on here and I am by no means a Model T enthusiasts but I got a great story about my dad and would love to be able to find any part of my Dad's historic 1927 Model T ford.

In 1951 my father who was 21 and lived in Asuncion, Paraguay was talking to his buddy who owned a 1927 Model T Ford. They were debating about how far they could take the car. One guy said Argentina, another said Peru. My dad said I will take it to Mr. Ford's doorstep. So after securing some funds from personal saving and some sponsors he, the owner and the owner's wife set out for Detroit, Mi. To make a long story short - and I would be happy to share the entire story if you guys would like they were for the most part successful in their journey. The adventure lasted 2 yrs. They made it as far as NYC in 1953. They tried desperately to contact the ford company to take the vehicle to Detroit but Ford showed no interest at all. So they ended the trip in NYC. The car was sold to some auto shop in Northern NJ and never heard of again. My dad moved to Washington DC where he raised a family of 5 along with my mom and grandmother. He was a GM mechanic for his entire career here in Maryland.
In 2001 he wrote a book documenting his journey which is called The Adventure of My Life. It was written at the insistence of many Paraguayans and Americans. It has been published in Spanish and English.

Dad is still alive today but not in very good health and suffering from Demensia (sp). Anyway - It would be my dream to find any part of this vehicle. If there is some interest at all in helping I would be happy to post some pictures of the vehicle. I will scan a few now and post them.

Thanks
Bill
squidnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
[email protected]

Default Re: Help in finding any part of my dad's historic Model T

So what your saying is; you're looking for any part of a 1927 Model T Ford that nobody has seen in nearly 60 years. Ok that won't be a problem. What's the serial number on the engine and is it the same as the one marked on the frame? Is it a roadster, touring car, fordor sedan or tudor sedan, maybe a coupe or a roadster pickup? Just a little more information now and I think we'll be able to help. What color was the vehicle? Now can you give us the name of the auto shop in New Joisey that your family sold it to?

Ok, well I guess if anyone in New Jersey owns a car that once came from Asuncion, Paraguay and they're still alive maybe they could let squidnation know.
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.

Last edited by [email protected]; 04-07-2012 at 11:39 PM.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:52 AM   #3
40 Deluxe

Well, as the 'T' was still likely just and old car in '53, it was probably scrapped by, oh, '57 or so, melted down and became part of a new Edsel, which died in '65 and was reconstituted as a new Mustang, which lasted into the '80's and was then sold for scrap that ended up in Japan, where it became a new '85 Toyota Corolla, which someone is now hoarding as the next great classic!!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:44 AM   #4
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Well, as the 'T' was still likely just and old car in '53, it was probably scrapped by, oh, '57 or so, melted down and became part of a new Edsel, which died in '65 and was reconstituted as a new Mustang, which lasted into the '80's and was then sold for scrap that ended up in Japan, where it became a new '85 Toyota Corolla, which someone is now hoarding as the next great classic!!
Either that or the squidster is driving it and owns a piece of the t without even knowing it.
Let's go.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
squidnation

I am going to my brothers today. They have many of the original pictures. I will scan and post some pictures. My mom and dad will be there as well. I will ask if they still have the serial number. Thanks all. I obviously know its a long shot but they had some advertisers stickers and emblems on the panels on the side. That would incredible if someone decided to keep them. They were sponsored by Vidol or Veedol Oil. I do remember that.
squidnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
[email protected]

Now your starting to come through with the kind of information that might get you somewhere. Let us know and post those pictures.
Let's go.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
[email protected]

Squidnation, When I consider what your attempting to do by searching for your Dad's old Model T I really can't help but think how great it would be if you actually found it. The story itself is really pretty interesting. I can't imagine what the roads were like during those years. And when you stop and think of a Model T making it all those miles when 26 years have gone by since it was built and the guts it took to drive it. Try to get those pictures posted soon. See if there's some way you can trace ownership through the DMV once you've got the vin number. What you've given any of us to go by so far isn't very much. The only way anyone is going to know if they've seen the car is by only knowing the history of it if it was passed down with it as time has gone by. They made over 15 million model t's. The depression and World War 2 took care of a lot of them. but several have made it through. I own a '21 and a '26. And from the looks of them they've been to hell and back too. But the bottom line is they're still here. and if I can do something to keep them around for another 90 years I'll do it. Good Luck.
Let's go.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
Tudortomnz

This is an interesting story ; I wish you well in trying to find your Dads Model T.
Coming from Paraguay, would not this Model T have been RHD?? This may help you to find out if it survived.It could also have proved its demise, as having 'foreign registration' it may have been wrecked for parts. The Model T club may have data on any RHD T's in that area.
You could try a message on MTFCA Forum.

Last edited by Tudortomnz; 04-08-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

OK...I have found the New York Times story on the trip.
It is on page 23, 10 Apr 1953...I have no idea how to post it here, it is a messy PDF of the original article one column wide and a full page tall...
Almost anyone could see it microfilm or on computer at the nearest library, or I think I can email what I have to someone who can pot it.
The article may develop some leads--there is probably a Georgia news story as well.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
[email protected]

Bruce email it to me. I'll get it on here. email = [email protected]
Let's go.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #11
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Story sent!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #12
1921Runabout

Squidnation,

Very interesting story. I wish you the best in locating the car or at least some evidence of what ever happened to it after your dad sold it.

I encourage you to also post your story and photos on the MTFCA site, as there are many Model T folks there that may recognize or know something related to the car.

The MTFCA site address is:
http://www.mtfca.com

The more Model T folks that know your story and efforts to locate your dad's car, the better chance you have at locating it or at least finding some evidence of what happened to it.

I wish you the best,

Orlando Ortega Jr.
1921 Runabout
1924 Touring
1921Runabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #13
[email protected]

Here ya go. Your model t's story. Good Luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pdf(1).pdf (197.0 KB, 172 views)
Let's go.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #14
john_b

Squidnation first posted his request on April 7. On April 8 he again said he would scan and post pictures. He has not written anything since then (11 days ago) or posted any pictures that I can find. Or, am I missing something?
john_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #15
John Otis

Send a message via AIM to John Otis Send a message via Yahoo to John Otis

One thing about this........ We all know that chances are that this car was scrapped decades ago. Remember the Thomas Flyer that did the around the world race? It was rescued from the scrap heap by Henry Austin Clark and this was a terribly importamt car that everyone seemed to have forgotten.
The chances of even finding the number plate from grandpa's car are very remote. That being said however, I knew an old man ages ago who as a boy had been paid a dollar to drive a T to the dump. He brought a friend along and partway to the dump he drove the T down over the bank and crashed it. They were both unharmed and walked back home. Years later he tried to find the car with no luck. Then after looking at old maps he discovered the road had changed. When he went back to the route of the old road he found the old T down over the bank where he had left it so many decades ago.
I guess there is always hope.
John Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #16
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidnation View Post
I am going to my brothers today. They have many of the original pictures. I will scan and post some pictures. My mom and dad will be there as well. I will ask if they still have the serial number. Thanks all. I obviously know its a long shot but they had some advertisers stickers and emblems on the panels on the side. That would incredible if someone decided to keep them. They were sponsored by Vidol or Veedol Oil. I do remember that.
Hey Squid, buddy, John B has a real valid concern. We haven't seen anything of a serial number or photo's since you started this thread. If you're not going to follow through on your part of this deal, we'll be glad to consider this thread as dead. But you probably should tell Bruce Lancaster thankyou for finding the newspaper article and to be honest with you, it wasn't an easy process getting it put into a form that I could download onto this site. So if there's something you can give us that'll help you might want to post it.
Let's go.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #17
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Well, THAT guy wandered off, leaving a good yarn stuck right where it lies. Good trip to find out about, though.
Howabout rebuilding this thread into one on EPIC Model T trips, both those from when T's were common and modern ones??
Can anyone put a handle on this: It is a dim memory from when I was a kid digging through stacks of old Popular Science/Mechanics/etc. type magazines around 1960. Someone was running a Model T the length of the Americas...I do not remember which direction or nationality of the people. Anyway, the cool part was the Darien Gap area between Panama and Colombia...no roads at all, heavy jungle, some tribal peoples who SERIOUSLY dislike intruders, no way in hell a land vehicle of any type could get all the way through.
Chicken out and take the ferry??
NO!!
These people slung a pontoon under each running board on the Model T, threw the rear axle and wheels into the back seat, and mounted a propeller on the end of the driveshaft...and DROVE across the water until they reached an area with roads.
I would love to find out where I saw the little story and find out more about the adventure.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:16 AM   #18
Super Dave

Fast Forward 2 years.....Squidnation is my buddy named Bill. His very cool Dad recently passed. I just re-read the book about his journey. AMAZING!
Bill, pick this up again man. Do you have the VIN and/or pics?

Note - does this thread automaically go to his email?
Super Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:30 AM   #19
yachtsmanbill

Copy and paste it and Personal Message (PM) him. I agree that he needs to follow up on the story, even if theres no proof, at least his take on it! ws
Old 04-15-2014, 08:55 AM   #20
Jack Innes

I am sure I have a wheel that is off that particular RHD Model T!