Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-05-2015, 05:32 AM   #1
jrvariel48

Default 35-36 with T5

Has anyone with a T5 in their 35-36 had to pull the trans? I just wanted to see what's involved and if the motor has to come out. This would be for a clutch replacement.
Thank you,
Joe
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:28 AM   #2
TomT/Williamsburg

Default Re: 35-36 with T5

Well, this will all depend on how the installer did the setup. You will have to get under the car and see whether the design is one where the tranny can be dropped from underneath. That would some kind of removable mount require ng "X" frame mods. It should fairly obvious vs a stick frame. My avatar is one where I have to pull the motor and trans as a unit to do any tranny work. I will never build one that way again!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:44 AM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Yep, it is all going to depend on how it was installed. How about posting some photos?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:51 PM   #4
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT/Williamsburg View Post
Well, this will all depend on how the installer did the setup. You will have to get under the car and see whether the design is one where the tranny can be dropped from underneath. That would some kind of removable mount require ng "X" frame mods. It should fairly obvious vs a stick frame. My avatar is one where I have to pull the motor and trans as a unit to do any tranny work. I will never build one that way again!
Tom I did the install of the X member. It's made by Weedetr and it does have a bolt in bottom where the wishbones tie in. I think my main concern is do I have enough room to pull it backwards to clear the input shaft?
Old 11-05-2015, 05:11 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The rear mount for the engine/transmission is at the aft end of the transmission. Once the transmission mount is removed the rear of the engine/transmission should drop down enough to clear the top of the transmission. Remember to keep an eye on the fuel pump and stand and the firewall. You should only have to move the transmission back far enough to clear the clutch plate, after that you will have more room to more the transmission around.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #6
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
The rear mount for the engine/transmission is at the aft end of the transmission. Once the transmission mount is removed the rear of the engine/transmission should drop down enough to clear the top of the transmission. Remember to keep an eye on the fuel pump and stand and the firewall. You should only have to move the transmission back far enough to clear the clutch plate, after that you will have more room to more the transmission around.
Sounds great. I think I'll remove the pump & stand as a precaution!
Thanks!
Old 11-08-2015, 10:40 AM   #7
jrvariel48

Any clutch experts out there??
I'll pulled the trans yesterday without a problem. I had to pull it to get to the pressure plate and clutch plate. I just put the motor in on Wednesday and when I went for a ride and the clutch was slipping. The set up came from Fort Wayne Clutch so I had to send the parts back to them to get checked. I double checked the throw out bearing distance from the pressure plate to make sure it wasn't an issue.
My question is, could there be incorrect spring pressure on the pressure plate?
Could the fingers on the pressure plate have been set wrong?
The set up is a 1946 59 motor with a 11" flywheel re-drilled for a 9" clutch set up. I have a Pete & Jakes's pedal set up with a hydraulic slave cylinder that operates the cross shaft with the fork & throw out bearing in the middle of the shaft.
Any ideas's??
Thank you,
Joe
Old 11-08-2015, 01:46 PM   #8
1931 flamingo

Too late now, but was the slave cyl fully retracting??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

As 1931 flamingo pointed out the slave cylinder is good place to look for a problem. If it is not retracting (pulling the fork away from the throwout bearing) then it might not allow the pressure plate full clamping pressure on the clutch.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:30 AM   #10
jrvariel48

Yes it was retracting fully. At one point, I adjusted the throw out bearing to be a 1/2" out before it contacted the pressure plate, still had the same problem
Old 11-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #11
don35

You may want to remove the shifter to gain room to move the tranny back. (Only 4 bolts). They are right on top so you should be able to get to them by loosening the shifter boot.
don35 is offline   Reply With Quote