Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-21-2016, 02:08 PM   #1
old28

Default Police Head

Got a friend that picked up a Model A police head and wanted me to get some information on the head. This head as made was 5.22 CR and had a flycut for the piston pop up in the head.

Will the head chamber take 1.7" intake valves?

If used on a 4" bore motor with 0 deck & .052" crush head gasket how much can be milled from head face surface to increase compression ratio a point or point and half (6.22 - 6.72)?
old28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:56 PM   #2
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania
Default Re: Police Head

Way back in the late 1960s, I acquired a blue 1930 Ford tudor sedan that had been purchased by the City of Fitchburg, Massachusetts in a fleet of new police cars. That automobile was that fastest Model A Ford I for one have ever owned or driven. Until modern times, the existence of a "police head" for Model A Ford cars was unknown to me. Have since speculated whether or not that old Ford may have had one of those type heads factory installed . . . If so, then such an item would no doubt enhance the speed of a modern day civilian's Model A Ford car.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:04 PM   #3
Dodge

Wont take the big valves, combustion chamber not great for going that high on compression. That head is great for a stock motor, but for a hop up get a proper head.
It's breathing as well as compression.
My 2 cents.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:19 AM   #4
old28

Dodge ---- I'm not an expert on model A stuff but what you said was what I told him might be the case. A good old used head for a stock motor, but with 4" bore, big valves & 2x2 intake he would be better off with one of Tod heads that would have a little more compression and flow better.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:10 AM   #5
PC/SR

What Dodge said. Get a head designed for that CR. Then check measurement for bigger valves and after you get the valves in, including Tod's heads. Have not seen anything about bigger valves on his heads. But, no matter what, measure anyway. Get a couple of tubes of Prussian Blue. If you do not assemble or measure it yourself, hope for the best.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:34 AM   #6
Kurt in NJ

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
most of the "B" marked police heads that I have seen have a crack through the center, I don't think thinning the gasket surface will help that tendenacy
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:34 PM   #7
old28

PC/SR ---- We are both old drag racers, built our own motors, and have done lots of clay measurements. As we have never worked on an A motor we will check everything 2 or 3 times and continue to ask questions. Hang with me and thanks for all the information & replies.

Kurt in NJ ---- This is a nice old "B" police head. It has been Maged & Pressure tested. I think he may go more into a stock motor build and use this head.