Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-29-2014, 05:18 PM   #21
FrankWest

Default Re: removing the oil pan

if the pan is clogged with tar then should not the oil pump be removed and cleaned?
Is the pump easy to put back in and align after it is removed?
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #22
MikeK

The drain thread bung is soldered into the pan bottom from the inside. They DO come loose on some pans from corrosion working its way under the solder. Now would be the time to inspect and re-sweat or braze it if necessary.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #23
JerseyGator

My son and I finally undertook the job of removing my oil pan. A pan bolt was sheared off and oil was leaking like a sieve. I bought cork gaskets and engine pans (from Bratton's) over 3 years ago. So I've definitely procrastinated.

Taking it off was easy. Looking bewildered when the pump dropped in the pan was priceless. (Immediately wondering how I was going to get it to stay in place on re-installation.) I do have a good friend (Walt) that is very good with Model-A's and gives me lots of advice. He explained that I would use a special bolt that would go in the oil plug hole on the side of the engine. Another call to Bratton's! While I was at it I ordered paint (for the pan), gasket sealer, and new bolts (as you can't buy just one.).

After I cleaned and painted the pan (Did an okay job painting. Much better than it was though.) and removed the sheared off bolt (I got a handy bolt removal tool at the NYC auto show this year. It worked like a charm! Was very impressed.) Then I cleaned the block. Painted the clutch housing and some spots on the engine that had the green paint coming off. Also, cleaned up the frame where the engine pan bolts attach.

Before stumbling forward with installation I decided to come to FordBarn and check out any threads on the topic. Figured I should read up before I screwed something up. I'm good at that... Screwing things up!

I got a few good laughs when I read that some folks recommend taking out the engine! Are you kidding me! Not this guy... I do want to thank everyone that contributed to this thread. It was VERY helpful.

Anyway, I'm ready to undertake the re-installation tonight. All pieces are in place. Will take pics and follow-up with my struggles and/or successes. I am going to stop by Home Depot today and pick up some guide bolts and more rubber gloves. I like the idea to align the pan and using a jack. I do have my son, so I may omit the jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethkestenbaum View Post
I've documented (with photos) my adventures in dropping the pan on my blog. I made some errors along the way, but it may be helpful to look over. Good luck.
I'd like to give a special thanks to Seth for keeping a wonderful blog of his adventures. If you haven't looked at it, you should. Thanks Seth!
Oh and I live off the NJT Exit 8A. If you ever want to do a cruise or just get together to discuss old cars.

'31 Model A Pickup (My grandpa's truck. In the family since 1937)
Restored 1995 by Pioneer Valley Model A in Granby MA
JerseyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #24
sethkestenbaum

Hey Peter, Thanks for the mention. I'm glad to hear my posts were helpful or at least amusing. I should be posting some more goodies towards the end of the month. I'm happy to join on a cruise or grabbing a beer if you even come up this way.