Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-29-2016, 03:37 PM   #1
Jakno

Default Powder coat or paint

attached is a picture of my 35 pickup wheel in Red paint or powder. I'm completing a paint job on the truck and want the wheel color to match the Dearborn Blue of the truck. Not sure if the red wheel is paint or powder. From the scratches on the wheel it's most likely paint. Any real way to determine and if it is powder can I paint over it ?.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35 Red Wheel.jpg (40.2 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 35 @ Steuben.jpg (46.8 KB, 67 views)
Old 04-29-2016, 07:08 PM   #2
grovesmr

Default Re: Powder coat or paint

short of asking the original painter, you could try swabbing it with mek to see if paint comes off, sanding the paint to see if there is primer and or other colors under it. look for runs in the paint.

if you dont want to throw them in the blast cabinet i think youd be okay with a really good and thorough scrubbing with a scotch brite pad, and even more thorough degreasing and wash and a good primer followed with your color coat within its chemical bond window. if any paint is flaking off you probably want to sandblast. the problem here though, is skipping a strip step is blindly trusting the previous painter to have gone through a good prep process. pictures dont say enough
grovesmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:47 PM   #3
39topless

Good advice. Strip or blast to see what you have. Then you get to decide how to finish. Great question.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:21 PM   #4
cas3

powder coat has no primer. so, any place that is chipped should be bare metal, or surface rust and no primer showing. its one of my beefs about it. if you have paint, and it chips, you have a 50/50 chance of being able to spot paint over the primer. powder coat is bare metal. and like paint, its all in the prep. bad prep=bad powder coat. wheels done at a truck shop for my pickup were cheaper than i could paint them for....but, rust brown in 6 months
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:36 PM   #5
34coupe

if its powder coated you'll have a hard time blasting the wheels, just do a scratch test on the back side if the red comes off easy its paint comes off hard their powder coated,
Old 04-29-2016, 11:18 PM   #6
RalphM

If it is powder coat you can paint over it.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:30 PM   #7
deuce_roadster

Cas3- good powder coating does have primer. That is one of the differences between poor and superior coating--the powder prime step. Always ask for it.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:50 AM   #8
deucemac

Just my 2 cents worth. I had my frame and rear axle/suspension powder coated and the powder coatings guy had a hard time matching available colors to match my '36 Washington blue. He is a long term, big shop that does great work on lots of various parts. He finally found US Postal insignia blue #2 which is almost dead on. I thought you might like the info in case you decide to coat the wheels the same color as the body. It may save your shop lots of time hunting the right powder.
deucemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:18 AM   #9
Jakno

Thanks to all who posted reply's for me. It's all great information to have in the decision making for a great result.
Good day to be alive, Thanks
Old 05-02-2016, 07:16 AM   #10
flatheadv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
powder coat has no primer. so, any place that is chipped should be bare metal, or surface rust and no primer showing. its one of my beefs about it. if you have paint, and it chips, you have a 50/50 chance of being able to spot paint over the primer. powder coat is bare metal. and like paint, its all in the prep. bad prep=bad powder coat. wheels done at a truck shop for my pickup were cheaper than i could paint them for....but, rust brown in 6 months
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
Cas3- good powder coating does have primer. That is one of the differences between poor and superior coating--the powder prime step. Always ask for it.
I am having the wheels on my 39 powder coated with the primer and epoxy powder coating. I will post pictures when I get them back.
flatheadv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:40 AM   #11
theHIGHLANDER

For paint over powder (if they're still nice) you want a thorough wash, maybe even something lightly caustic like Purple Power or Simple Green. Rinse well and let dry completely. 2 conservative applications of an adhesion promoter (I like "Bulldog", available in spray cans or qts) and let dry per directions. Paint it and forget it. Nothing short of a sharp screwdriver will chip paint off of powder.
theHIGHLANDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:56 AM   #12
flatheadv8

Should have a sample of the RAL 5011 color this week. That is the RAL color that I found was a match to my Jefferson blue on the easyrgb.com wed site. Thanks again to glennpm for the help!

I have heard of guys that powder coat their wheels to seal them, then spray the face to color match.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:55 AM   #13
flatheadv8

In case you want to powder coat, here is the RAL color code info for Ford Dearborn blue.

hex color code http://encycolorpedia.com/2c2036 I used this to get the RGB code

Then I go to the easyrgb site and type in the RGB code.

http://www.easyrgb.com/index.php?X=SEEK#Result type in 44 32 54

Regards,
Jeremy