Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2024, 02:55 PM   #1
langus480

Default Serial Number and Year of production

Hello all,

As I proceed with this 1931 (Titled as a 1931, anyways) Pickup Truck, I have noticed my engine serial number is «A2746912« which dates the engine as made January 1930.

On the frame however, my serial number is «A260304(?). I am not sure if it is 6 digits long or 7. Taking into account that if the serial number is only 6 digits long, this could place the production of the frame in December 1929?

So, is it possible that the two variables, frame possibly built in December 1929 and the engine manufactured in January 1930, could the actually be a genuine 1930 Pickup Truck and licensed with the state as a 1931?

Could the truck have sat on the dealers lot for a year before it was sold, and then sold and licensed as a 1931?

I've heard that the small car manufacturers like Nash, Willys, ect would state the year of the vehicle based on the date it was SOLD and not the actual production date.

Could the truck be a true 1930 and not a 1931?
langus480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 03:22 PM   #2
alexiskai

Default Re: Serial Number and Year of production

It could be a 1930. There are ways to build a case based on the preponderance of parts. Early 1930s had a number of shared parts with the '29s, while still having 1930 styling.

The frame number would be identical with the number on the original engine. That's how it worked. The number was read off the engine at final assembly and copied to the frame. If the frame and engine disagree, that means the engine is not original (which is probably more common than the reverse). A six-digit frame code would put the chassis at Jan. '29 or earlier.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 05:38 PM   #3
langus480

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
It could be a 1930. There are ways to build a case based on the preponderance of parts. Early 1930s had a number of shared parts with the '29s, while still having 1930 styling.

The frame number would be identical with the number on the original engine. That's how it worked. The number was read off the engine at final assembly and copied to the frame. If the frame and engine disagree, that means the engine is not original (which is probably more common than the reverse). A six-digit frame code would put the chassis at Jan. '29 or earlier.

I would have to agree, because I have an early '28-'29 speedo and needed the dash panel. Sammie Gutherie at Arizona Model A's told me I had a '28-'29 Fuel Tank. I do believe that there would be a seventh digit, but with time and corrosion, has faded.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:45 PM   #4
Bob C

What sheet metal do you have? The trucks used 1928-29 sheet metal
until mid 1930.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 10:35 PM   #5
langus480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
What sheet metal do you have? The trucks used 1928-29 sheet metal
until mid 1930.

Bob C, I have the characteristics of the '30- '31 model A, but there is just certain things that point to an early '30 model A. The thing is, the truck was titled with the state as a 1931.
Old 03-28-2024, 11:11 PM   #6
ModelA29

After 90 years parts get changed. Somebody buys a project and then starts gathering the missing parts. For the most part everything interchanges so someone uses the best pieces they could find that fit. No one really knows - the engine or frame could have come from a Coupe or 2/4 door.
Here's a link to the subtle changes that the frame got over the years. http://www.plucks329s.org/frame.htm
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 11:21 PM   #7
brito36

I once owned a 1929 AA truck. The engine was dated November 1929 and the title stated 1930. The engine and frame number both matched. I have heard several times over my Model A years that sometimes vehicles are stored on the dealers lots prior to sale, and when they are finally sold, they are titled the date of the sale by the dealer.
brito36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 10:47 AM   #8
Bob C

This is what an early 1930 would look like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 82A Ford.jpg (20.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 03-29-2024, 11:18 AM   #9
gdmn852

Hello, I have seen that on Pennsylvania titled cars of that era , a 1940 Pontiac that was sold in December of 1939 , titled as 1939 .This was a two owner car with the original title.Also with Model A Fords engine change was so common, rebuilt engine available from Sears , it’s rare to find and original factory installed engine anymore.Titles weren’t usually issued until the car was first sold, so if it sat on dealer lot for awhile or they used it as a “demo” for the dealer, title would have been issued year it was sold.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 11:28 AM   #10
Keith True

I had an SC Rambler that was titled as a 1971,although it was a 69.My uncle and my dad were painting the inside of the Rambler dealership,and they had the SC on the showroom floor.It had been there for two years.My uncle liked it and bought it in 1971,and that's the year put on the title.First title was dated the year it was issued in.N.H. didn't issue titles until 1964.That car was pretty rusty when I got in in 1978.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 11:43 AM   #11
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I had an SC Rambler that was titled as a 1971,although it was a 69.My uncle and my dad were painting the inside of the Rambler dealership,and they had the SC on the showroom floor.It had been there for two years.My uncle liked it and bought it in 1971,and that's the year put on the title.First title was dated the year it was issued in.N.H. didn't issue titles until 1964.That car was pretty rusty when I got in in 1978.
You had an AMC HURST SCRambler? I always liked those but never had the cash back then to buy one. Wonder what they are going for today?
Old 03-29-2024, 11:51 AM   #12
Jim Mason

https://jmodela.coffeecup.com/numbers.html
Old 03-29-2024, 11:59 AM   #13
Keith True

That's what I had.It was not a popular choice for fast car guys around here back then.Most people that went to the Rambler garage weren't looking to buy something like that.When my uncle bought it he made a deal to get it painted by the dealer to get rid of that circus wagon color scheme.They painted it a solid blue.It was his regular car,and the salt had just destroyed it by 1977.If I shifted that car hard on a left hand turn the right door would pop open.I bought it for $600.and sold it for just a little more.It would no longer pass the tech inspection at the dragway here in town on Wednesday nights.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 05:38 PM   #14
Charlie Stephens

The first thing you need to do is to add your general location to your profile.

Next you need to get the paperwork straightened out before you invest any money and before the seller disappears. I am assuming you recently purchased the truck. It may turn out you have a stolen truck and a title from EBAY. What number is on the title and does that number appear anywhere on the vehicle? How about some pictures.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 07:02 PM   #15
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by langus480 View Post
I would have to agree, because I have an early '28-'29 speedo and needed the dash panel. Sammie Gutherie at Arizona Model A's told me I had a '28-'29 Fuel Tank. I do believe that there would be a seventh digit, but with time and corrosion, has faded.
Been my experience that hit a stamped number with a snadblaster and you can see everything!
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 10:23 PM   #16
langus480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
The first thing you need to do is to add your general location to your profile.

Next you need to get the paperwork straightened out before you invest any money and before the seller disappears. I am assuming you recently purchased the truck. It may turn out you have a stolen truck and a title from EBAY. What number is on the title and does that number appear anywhere on the vehicle? How about some pictures.

Charlie Stephens

I believe it is a genuine sale. The seller I purchased the truck came from Illinois. He gave me several new parts that still had the seller he purchased the truck from.

The story I was told was the previous seller was performing a restoration and passed away, thus the widow sold the truck to the person I purchased the truck from.

He drove all the way from AZ to Illinois to pick it up. I guess the seller also has family there in Illinois so the story seems reasonable. Also, looking at the title, the invoices, and the seller seems legit.

I work in aviation so its imperative to have genuine parts and not suspect parts, thus I combed over all the details before investing in a parted basket case truck.

However, like I pointed out and a few others on this channel, that dealers may have rebadged the date to a different date based on selling and not actual production time like I first suspected.
Old 03-30-2024, 10:20 AM   #17
Bob C

How about posting some pictures of the truck.