Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #1
wyonorm

Default Seller

Hi all,

Does anyone know David Carner? I exchanged email with him and he sounds like a fine person but I thought I should do some checking before I send him $125. for parts.

Thanks,
Norm
wyonorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:23 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Seller

I don't see him when I do a search. You might ask him his screen name. I like to check to see if a person only sells stuff or if their posts show they have cars and are interested in the hobby. I checked out one person and he came back zero, when I asked him about it he had a good explanation that checked out. Are you buying from an ad he posted, if so you can click on his name and see other posts. Have you seen even one post by him, if not it is a bad sign. Maybe you could have him send you the parts before you send the check, trust has to start somewhere and why can't it be on his end. Does what he has seem to good to be true, a bad sign.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 02-18-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
wyonorm

I suggested he list it on ebay. That would give me some protection.

Thanks Charlie
wyonorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:57 PM   #4
rockfla

Be careful, if your supposed to trust him to send the parts after you send the money, then the street should work the other way too. He should be willing to send parts and then get the money. I'd try and find another way to do the transaction.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:57 PM   #5
Lanny

[QUOTE=wyonorm;1036024]I suggested he list it on ebay. That would give me some protection.
=================================================

Yes, then you could bid on the part, along with the rest of the world.

What is his Screen Name here ?
Will he give you his phone number ? Most scammers won't.
Will he give you his address, or does he want payment via Western Union ?

Old 02-18-2015, 02:06 PM   #6
Tony, NY

PayPal gives you some protection. See if he will do PayPal. That's the same as on EBay.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:05 PM   #7
TJ

Did he answer a want ad posted by you? If so, be very careful. Did he want a money order or money gram? Can he send you photos of the part?
TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:32 PM   #8
Mike in Mass

wyonorm everthing that has been offerd above is spot on ! ! been there ,done that ,, The FORDBARN used to be a close-nit kinda small little community of friends ,say Maybe 500 or so members , (I may be off a tad) and I think of everybody as my FORDBARD FRIENDS ! In the last couple years it seams like the world-wide web and all its ills, has found us out ! OH WELL We have to grow, and most all new members are great ,,,but ,,,,,.. there is no place like here welcome to the BARN
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:50 PM   #9
hb32

PayPal does not offer the protection people think it does. A seller can delete his account shortly after getting your money and you have little to no recourse. Granted for $125 would not be worth it. On the other hand, payment by money order constitutes mail fraud if the seller bails. I know this from past experience and the reasons I deal only in money orders both selling and buying. If the seller provides their contact information including a phone number, I feel comfortable and have never had any issues in the past 10 years. I recently bought parts for my pickup from a seller in Ohio for many $$$'s and thru many emails with his contact info, had no issues durring the process.
hb32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:15 PM   #10
Lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb32 View Post
PayPal does not offer the protection people think it does. A seller can delete his account shortly after getting your money and you have little to no recourse. Granted for $125 would not be worth it. On the other hand, payment by money order constitutes mail fraud if the seller bails. I know this from past experience and the reasons I deal only in money orders both selling and buying. If the seller provides their contact information including a phone number, I feel comfortable and have never had any issues in the past 10 years. I recently bought parts for my pickup from a seller in Ohio for many $$$'s and thru many emails with his contact info, had no issues durring the process.
================================================== =======

I too have used Postal Money Orders and heard that the Gov Officials
would help with restitution incase I got wrong parts or No parts at all.
I finally asked a few people at my Post Office, and ALL of them said that
the only way I would receive help is if the M/O was stolen... Good Luck.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:34 PM   #11
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
He should be willing to send parts and then get the money.
You're kidding? No way I'd send a part without payment. I have 500+ transactions on ebay. I only had trouble with slow sellers once on Fordbarn but got the part in the end, yankee mike is slow. I had one Fordbarner cheat me as well. I bought a 40 brake drum from him. He pounded out the hub and sent me the ruined brake drum then demanded the same price for the hub.

Last edited by mrtexas; 02-18-2015 at 10:41 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:37 PM   #12
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb32 View Post
On the other hand, payment by money order constitutes mail fraud if the seller bails. I know this from past experience and the reasons I deal only in money orders both selling and buying.
I used to do that until in idiot PO lost one of my USPS money orders. Could only find one receipt so was out $65. Had to PAY the PO $5 to look for the MO. The other MO showed up 4 years later. It's paypal for me even if it costs 3% I ask the buyer to pay it.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:39 PM   #13
hb32

Sound like we have all had bad and good experiences either way.
Enjoy some reading here as well http://www.paypalsucks.com/
hb32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:40 PM   #14
barnfind

Buy from eBay if u can't develop a trust relationship via PM and email exchanges.
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:24 AM   #15
rockfla

There are many many issues with dealing in "trust" and all the options that have thus been discussed in this thread "ALL" have more advantages and "protections" for the thief than the honest. The money order route is no more safe than any other, specifically in your case because of the "value" many if not all local police will not worry about $125, it has to reach a certain dollar amount before they will take it. The same for the postal inspectors, unless there are several complaints about the same person/address. Many years ago we were scammed on a pines winerfront here on the barn, the value at the time was $800. and after a year and a half we got our money back for the following reasons, 1... He had scammed three others for the same part and fortunately all parties were able to contact the local sheriff (in a coordinated and combined effort) and get a investigator that cared. 2.... the investigator never let up tacking the guy down and 3...technically the police had NO real footing to stand on via false addresses, hard to track change of email addresses, lack of hard proof etc. etc. and the investigator basically told me he relied on the fact that the scumbag didn't know the law and he basically (illegally) threatened him....and he paid all parties back under the threat of prosecution (which legally couldn't of happened) ... which was a miracle! There is NO EASY ANSWER>
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:43 AM   #16
Mike51Merc

So is this David Carner a member here or are you just asking blindly if anyone here knows him?
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:59 AM   #17
xix32

He did answer my wanted ad for a `32 door lock, last week. I asked for photos. He sent me photos of a pair of new Chinese Vintique repro door handles with the locks built into them, sitting on the Vintique box, And he wanted $100. for the pair, that's more $ than others have them listed for at buy-it-now prices on the auction site. He doesn't phrase his email words the way we Americans speak. That makes me suspicious.
xix32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:13 AM   #18
malpais

You can often find out is someone is "straight" or at least exists from the social media sites (especially the professional one). Specially if you have a middle initial or a location.

Let the kids or grandkids look 'em up.

Gordon
Old 02-19-2015, 11:21 AM   #19
32phil

My advice would be to call the guy and speak to him personally. You can get a pretty good "feel'' if a guy is honest or not. Then decide. If you get burned for that amount of money ...post his name on here to warn everyone else.
My experience on the "Barn'' has been 100% positive. I typically send out any keys/locks repairs etc. without getting paid first. On a couple (very few) I have waited for payment...just to be safe. I usually call the person , tell them their stuff is done , how much they owe and that I am mailing it out that day. I accept personal checks so no need to run to post office for a money order. Nobody on the "Barn" has burned me. The only bad experience I had, was some guy on the Thunderbird site, he ultimately burned me( after 5 or 6 attempts to collect) for $6.
he shall remain nameless....'cause no one would believe who he was...
Old 02-19-2015, 11:39 AM   #20
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xix32 View Post
He did answer my wanted ad for a `32 door lock, last week. I asked for photos. He sent me photos of a pair of new Chinese Vintique repro door handles with the locks built into them, sitting on the Vintique box, And he wanted $100. for the pair, that's more $ than others have them listed for at buy-it-now prices on the auction site. He doesn't phrase his email words the way we Americans speak. That makes me suspicious.
This doesn't make any sense at all!! This is about as obvious as a scam gets. And why would you be wanting to pay more for an item than you can get it from other sources? Just a strange post.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote