Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-04-2022, 08:30 PM   #1
SoCalCoupe

Default Inside Door Window Frame Loose

I have a 1941 Business Coupe (short door) and am trying to get rid of some annoying door window rattles. Took off the inside door trim panels and can now see pretty clearly that the inside door window frame holding the horizontal window channel isn't holding the glass tight enough to the outside horizontal window frame window channel. There are four screws, two at the top of the frame and one on each side. There are no screws at the bottom.

Seems like there should be fasteners on the bottom of the window frame to snug and hold it against the door but there aren't.

I'm probably being too picky worrying about rattling windows but it's annoying.

One answer I suppose is to remove the inside window frame and bend, form, manipulate it by hand so that when it goes in with the four screws it's tighter.

Anybody dealt with this or have a better idea?
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 03:59 PM   #2
highbeams

Default Re: Inside Door Window Frame Loose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoupe View Post
I have a 1941 Business Coupe (short door) and am trying to get rid of some annoying door window rattles. Took off the inside door trim panels and can now see pretty clearly that the inside door window frame holding the horizontal window channel isn't holding the glass tight enough to the outside horizontal window frame window channel. There are four screws, two at the top of the frame and one on each side. There are no screws at the bottom.

Seems like there should be fasteners on the bottom of the window frame to snug and hold it against the door but there aren't.

I'm probably being too picky worrying about rattling windows but it's annoying.

One answer I suppose is to remove the inside window frame and bend, form, manipulate it by hand so that when it goes in with the four screws it's tighter.

Anybody dealt with this or have a better idea?
I removed my '33 3w passenger window frame to clean it up. It weighs three pounds! Personally, I'd take a little time to focus on your problem. Rattles/rattling is not pleasant to listen to; it never 'goes away' as we all know. DO IT! . . . one frustration in life outta the way. You'll be glad you did each & every time you 'climb in' and start the car, which means lotsa happy returns for doin' what hadda be done. ALSO: This is not an emergency - wait until you have thought about it, then do it with a positive mind and energy which will help a great deal. Wait until 'the right time'. There is a right time as well as a wrong time; you'll know when it is the right time, with a grin. To stack the deck more for you, accept a helping hand if not just for beginning the first attempt. This is solid advice based on past past past experiences. I'm 75 . . . . .

Last edited by highbeams; 06-05-2022 at 07:33 PM.
highbeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 07:35 PM   #3
john worden

Default Re: Inside Door Window Frame Loose

Before you remove anything give careful consideration to tightening up loose parts with discretely placed shims.
Consider webbing material, gasket material or thin/thick bits of rubber for shimming stock.
A simple fix just might work.