Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
Big_Guys_baby

Default Still Battling this clutch problem. Help!!!

A while back I posted a thread about diagnosing my clutch problem that ultimately resulted in my determining that there was NO clutch freeplay. This was a replacement clutch kit from carpetners and as such was off shore production. The lobes of the fingers were riding directly on the Throw Out bearing all the time causing a mess of problems.

Unfortunately the original clutch that came out of the vehicle got thrown away in a move and I didn't have that to reference. The questionable integrity of the offshore clutch was an issue so I purchased a rebuilt kit from Fort Wayne Clutch.

Doing all of this with the engine in the vehicle was difficult and stressful so I pulled the engine and with that decided to drop the oil pan and have the flywheel resurfaced (which I did not do on the original installation).

I reinstalled the flywheel, bolted the clutch up. I ensured that the correct side was facing the flywheel. I tightened the bolts very slowly in a random order to ensure even pressure was being applied. I torqued the bolts to the spec I found on Mac VP's site. (18-20 ft pounds I believe).

I just test a test run of bolting the transmission up to the bellhousing and lo and behold my problem remains. When I turn the engine over by hand the throw out bearing is moving along with the clutch. I am extremely frustrated and not sure what to do next....

I took the tranny off and have taken a few pics. Any suggestions are welcome. I have not contacted FWC that to ask their advice, that will be forthcoming. The fact that I have had the same issue with two different clutches is telling me that perhaps I am messing up or overlooking. The pressure plate bolts I used are ones that came with the carpenter's clutch kit, not sure if that is a factor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutch1.jpg (174.7 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg clutch2.jpg (85.1 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg clutch3.jpg (168.6 KB, 126 views)
Big_Guys_baby is offline   Reply With Quote