Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-22-2024, 11:42 AM   #1
kurt v

Default 32 b frame for v8

what was the difference between the mod A frame and model B frame for the v8, will a flathead be to much for a mod A stock frame ?
kurt v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 12:04 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: 32 b frame for v8

All '32 passenger car and commercial vehicle frames were the same at any point in time during the '32 model year, whether for a four-cylinder or V8 chassis. "32 frames have nothing in common with Model A frames.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 12:46 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

First I want to be sure I understand the question. You are looking for the difference between the 1928-1931 Model A frame and the 1932 Model B frame? You intend to use a flathead V8 engine? Either frame should be ok for normal driving with a normal flathead. If you use the Model A frame you will need to make front motor mounts. You will need to make a rear transmission mount. You will need to make a mount for the suspension wishbone. You will need to make a mount for the clutch and brake pedals (they were attached to the bell housing on a Model A and the frame on a 1932) and a mount for the master cylinder (assuming you are going to use hydraulic brakes). If you use the 1932 Model B frame you only need to make a bracket to mount the master cylinder. I have included a photo showing the way I mounted the master cylinder on my 1932 frame. The 1932 parts will be more expensive but the work will be a whole lot less. If I misunderstood your question please clarify. What is your whole project?

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Card1 032.jpg (86.1 KB, 157 views)

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 04-22-2024 at 01:18 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 12:55 PM   #4
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
First I want to be sure I understand the question. You are looking for the difference between the 1928-1931 Model A frame and the 1932 Model B frame? You intend to use a flathead V8 engine? Either frame should be ok. If you use the Model A frame you will need to make front motor mounts. You will need to make a rear transmission mount. You will need to make a mount for the suspension wishbone. You will need to make a mount for the clutch and brake pedals (they were attached to the bell housing on a Model A and the frame on a 1932) and a mount for the master cylinder. If you use the 1932 Model B frame you only need to make a bracket to mount the master cylinder. I have included a photo showing the way I mounted the master cylinder on my 1932 frame. The 1932 parts will be more expensive but the work will be a whole lot less. If I misunderstood your question please clarify. What is your whole project?

Charlie Stephens

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 08:26 PM   #5
alchemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
All '32 passenger car and commercial vehicle frames were the same at any point in time during the '32 model year, whether for a four-cylinder or V8 chassis. "32 frames have nothing in common with Model A frames.
Wasn’t there some early production that didn’t have chatter rod mount holes for the V8?
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote