Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-01-2014, 10:23 PM   #1
carguybill

Default What are differences between vintage & repro body

I am considering the purchase of a model A roadster pick up and would prefer real vintage Henry built body parts. I am not knowledgeable about Model A details. Are there some things that I could look for to let me know if it is real or repro? Bill
carguybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:17 AM   #2
19ED30

Default Re: What are differences between vintage & repro body

Go to Ebay , look threw Model A part's,
You will soon see the diffrents in the detain of Original part's compaird to repo ( braces /panel / brackets/rivet's/& so on
Then you will have a good start to spot Original FoMoCo Body & parts
All so do a google search will help.
19ED30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:25 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Wow, that is a tall order as it takes a lot of experience to differentiate the differences between original parts, NORS (Replacement parts manufactured during the era) vs. Reproduction parts manufactured 4-5 decades ago. It has been my experience that very few eBay sellers know what they are selling, so I would not put much credibility in using eBay to differentiate.

Do you have R P/U vehicle in mind now, or is this something you are planning to look for?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:08 AM   #4
carguybill

July 4 04 Cold Stream 1.jpg

July 4 04 Cold Stream 2.jpg

July 4 04 Cold Stream 3.jpg

The model A I'm looking at is the one shown in these photos. I think, based on the pass car grille, that this is a 1931 but not sure. It is being offered to me by my cousin. I have seen this car in the past and it looked like it was largely original but, like I said, I'm sure not an expert or even a well informed bystander. I do know that the car was "restored" about 12 years ago or so.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:19 AM   #5
Roadster62

That looks like a nice roadster pickup, and at first glance even in a photo would think it is a Brookville rather than one that left the Ford factory. What differance does that make to you? Looks like a 10-15 thousand dollar vehicle that yopu could have a lot of fun in. Bob
Old 09-02-2014, 07:20 AM   #6
carguybill

Wow, Brent. I just looked at your web site and specifically at the '28 rpu that you show during the restoration process. Assuming that the pu I'm looking at is at least similar to the '28 I will have lots of good photos to use for comparison. Thanks. Bill
Old 09-02-2014, 07:54 AM   #7
larrys40

Bill,
The '28 that you are seeing is way different than a '31, although looking at Brent's processes and photos you can see how a high quality restoration is completed. There were few '31 roadster pickups produced/survived. I'm not looking up the number right now but when Brookville started making them it multiplied the number of them you see out there today. They do make a nice body... just know that it is a reproduction and when purchasing and original style vehicle that is a factor in value/price, etc.

If you want a decent driver and the price is fair and it works for you then go for it.
As Brent said, it takes a lot of learning and experience to identify and differentiate .
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:46 AM   #8
JohnLaVoy

The bodies from Brookville Roadster are pretty nice. The one in the picture is created from all repro parts. They are all metal and go together with out a lot of fitting issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RP Mt Shasta low res.jpg (50.5 KB, 91 views)
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:11 AM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguybill View Post
Wow, Brent. I just looked at your web site and specifically at the '28 rpu that you show during the restoration process. Assuming that the pu I'm looking at is at least similar to the '28 I will have lots of good photos to use for comparison. Thanks. Bill

My website does not show all the vehicles we have done, but this link may help you see details of another Roadster P/U we have restored that is the same year as the one you are concidering;

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151513747803642.602338.92143058641&type=3

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #10
Big John

Bill, nice looking pickup, kids think so too.... John.... That looks great,,, and no whitewalls... Big John.....
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:03 AM   #11
Jeff/Illinois

VERY nice. Good job!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #12
carguybill

Unhappy Re: What are differences between vintage & repro body

Well I did get a chance to go and see the truck. I took a few photos best I could because it's in his garage surrounded by misc boxes.

BUT, I'm going to have to pass because I can get into it only with considerable difficulty. There is not sufficient clearance between the front of the door opening and the front of the seat for me to get my legs with new knees inside. Once inside I had sufficient room but getting in and out was both difficult and painfull.

Thanks to all who responded to help. Bill
Old 09-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #13
redmodelt

So get in on the passenger side! I have to do that in some Model A's, because of an motorcycle accident I can't rotate my left foot much, I don't even try in 26-27 Model T open cars.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:48 PM   #14
KGBnut

The pickups have the least leg room. Connect with a local club. You will get an opportunity to test fit yourself in a variety of body styles.

Good luck.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:04 PM   #15
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguybill View Post
Well I did get a chance to go and see the truck. I took a few photos best I could because it's in his garage surrounded by misc boxes.

BUT, I'm going to have to pass because I can get into it only with considerable difficulty. There is not sufficient clearance between the front of the door opening and the front of the seat for me to get my legs with new knees inside. Once inside I had sufficient room but getting in and out was both difficult and painfull.

Thanks to all who responded to help. Bill

Bill, a lot of the Model A's are a little tight to get into. I am rather tall so what I do is put my right leg in first with my left still on the floor. Then move my left in and it works for me. Don't know if this helps but good luck.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:31 PM   #16
19ED30

[QUOTE=BRENT in 10-uh-C;938637]Wow, that is a tall order as it takes a lot of experience to differentiate the differences between original parts, NORS (Replacement parts manufactured during the era) vs. Reproduction parts manufactured 4-5 decades ago. It has been my experience that very few eBay sellers know what they are selling, so I would not put much credibility in using eBay to differentiate.

He ask how to tell the difrents between Ford and repo parts ,
If you happen to look on Ebay (lets say ) and you see a new Repo front fender ,
And (if seller's have good photos) you see a few Original fenders , you will learn
What to look for,, I have seen a few items on ebay that the seller says it original & its not . 90s repo or even 60s repo , but you do learn what to look for in detail ,if you know what to look for , you can tell the diffrents between A ford Roaster
Body from a Brockville body ( & not just the bear body's )
19ED30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:13 AM   #17
BRENT in 10-uh-C

[QUOTE=19ED30;939216]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Wow, that is a tall order as it takes a lot of experience to differentiate the differences between original parts, NORS (Replacement parts manufactured during the era) vs. Reproduction parts manufactured 4-5 decades ago. It has been my experience that very few eBay sellers know what they are selling, so I would not put much credibility in using eBay to differentiate.

He ask how to tell the difrents between Ford and repo parts ,
If you happen to look on Ebay (lets say ) and you see a new Repo front fender ,
And (if seller's have good photos) you see a few Original fenders , you will learn
What to look for,, I have seen a few items on ebay that the seller says it original & its not . 90s repo or even 60s repo , but you do learn what to look for in detail ,if you know what to look for , you can tell the diffrents between A ford Roaster
Body from a Brockville body ( & not just the bear body's )
Ok, let's use your front fender analogy, ...what is the difference between a repro 1929 front fender and an original one? Can you list the details?? I doubt you would be able to distinguish between the two unless one were in new metal. Taking that to the next level, how do you tell a repro fender from 30 years ago that was just taken off of a tired 1970's restoration? Many Sellers would claim it as "original" and the majority of eBay sellers use vague pictures taken from a phone.

As far as telling the difference between a Brookville and Original, I'd bet I have assembled a few that you can't! I also know of others that have done the same camouflaging too.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-03-2014, 08:37 AM   #18
Barry B./ Ma.

[QUOTE=redmodelt;939114]So get in on the passenger side! I have to do that in some Model A's, because of an motorcycle accident I can't rotate my left foot much, I don't even try in 26-27 Model T open cars.[/QUOTE

I have a 30 standard roadster with a Brookvile body and I find it has more leg room than my 29 coupe and with my 6-2 height and new knee I have no problem getting in and out. ]
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:26 PM   #19
Charlie Stephens

Sort of off topic but I think Brookville makes an extended cab that would benefit the "big guys". After the cab is extended I don't know what else is done to get everything to fit.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #20
JohnLaVoy

The extended cab does give you more room, they shorten the bed to make up the difference.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote