Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
BlueSunoco

Default E-Bay oddity

Something new happened to me today... was bidding on an item, there were no bidders until Sat. Item ended today. Was on E-Bay a week. Not big money. The first and only bidder stood at the opening bid of $5.00. I was waiting until close to the end to bid.

I put in a bid, all was going well until 1 minute before the sale ended when I was ' knocked out', my bid became $0.00, and the other 'bidder' " won" the item at five bucks. I got a notice of 'Error. Zero dollars bid" at that time. All was well before that??

Anybody have this happen before? Odd. Been doing E-Bay for probably 10 years or so and never had this happen before.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:29 PM   #2
Fred
BANNED

Default Re: E-Bay oddity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunoco View Post
Something new happened to me today... was bidding on an item, there were no bidders until Sat. Item ended today. Was on E-Bay a week. Not big money. The first and only bidder stood at the opening bid of $5.00. I was waiting until close to the end to bid.

I put in a bid, all was going well until 1 minute before the sale ended when I was ' knocked out', my bid became $0.00, and the other 'bidder' " won" the item at five bucks. I got a notice of 'Error. Zero dollars bid" at that time. All was well before that??

Anybody have this happen before? Odd. Been doing E-Bay for probably 10 years or so and never had this happen before.
I just had the same thing happen..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
ct1932ford

Sounds like ebay stopped us from doing that late bid in order to inspire more bidding. Just a thought but would not be surprised. Never enough profits!
Old 08-31-2014, 09:28 PM   #4
darrylkmc

I won a bid last night for a pair of sunglasses on Ebay, I was the only bidder until 8 seconds to go when someone bid against me, but they lost.

I have had a bad connection, or something, while trying to bid at the last second and my bid was not acknowledged.

Darryl in Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:27 PM   #5
jr-41ford

There is a program that people use to bid on items listed on eBay. It's called "Auctionsniper," many of us called it Snipe. It will automatically bid up to your maximum amount at the last 10 to 15 seconds of an auction. I don't know what percentage the developers charge these day when used to win an auction.

The best way to bid on an auction is to just bid your maximum amount you are willing to spend on an item and wait or use Snipe.

http://www.auctionsniper.com/
jr-41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:39 PM   #6
holdover

looks interesting, I am sure I paid more on some items than I could have because I bid early on an item when I was going to be away from my computer. I usually bid what I feel the item is worth to me.. win some lose some
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:21 AM   #7
mcorrell

I've never had that happen to me even though I usually watch an item and bid within the last minutes my max bid or multiple bids, just like I would in a real in-person auction. There are times I get up in the middle of the night for the right item. I like the excitement of bidding myself. I've never used a snipe program.

1964 Buick Wildcat convertible
mcorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:58 AM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I just put in the price I'm willing to pay if the part was in front of me at a store. If I lose I lose. Siting there at the last moments trying to get it as cheap as possible does not make sense to me.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:38 AM   #9
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
I just put in the price I'm willing to pay if the part was in front of me at a store. If I lose I lose. Siting there at the last moments trying to get it as cheap as possible does not make sense to me.
I think Mike, among others who are rational, has it right. Appraise an item and decide for yourself what you would pay. Place your high bid and if you win that's it, period. Your bid will go up incrementally keeping pace with any other bidders. Trying to snipe defies the logic behind an individual's high bid; if you want to pay more than me you can have the darn thing. I may be disappointed that I lost but feel secure in my mind that you over-valued the item.
Call it "sniping", or sitting up all hours of the night, or what ever you want but it makes no sense to me.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:43 AM   #10
ronn

sniping is the "only" way to go if you really WANT something. You set the bid with no emotion and walk away. You either get it or dont. By bidding early, you drive the prices to crazy levels and the seller loves you for your $.

you can buy on emotion or you can just pay what you are willing to pay................. your choice.
ronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:00 AM   #11
chl

a week ago I entered a last second bid and the bid went through at an amount far less than what I bid and I didn't get the item,Still trying to figure out how that happened.
chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #12
redmodelt

I agree with put a bid in at what you will pay and walk away but on the other hand there nothing like getting the ticker going in a good bidding war.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by chl View Post
a week ago I entered a last second bid and the bid went through at an amount far less than what I bid and I didn't get the item,Still trying to figure out how that happened.
We like to think when we hit the keyboard things happen the speed of light. The fact is there are a whole lot of things the signal needs to go through before it ends up at the other side and you cannot guarantee the the moment you hit the key your bid is recognized and entered in that split second.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #14
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
I agree with put a bid in at what you will pay and walk away but on the other hand there nothing like getting the ticker going in a good bidding war.
Hm, did your ever like jumping off roofs or out of trees..or playing no-limit holdem

Note:
I've found that when placing last second bid, that in the excitement mentioned here, that a guy has to remember to 'confirm' the bid IN TIME for it to count
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #15
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
I've found that when placing last second bid, that in the excitement mentioned here, that a guy has to remember to 'confirm' the bid IN TIME for it to count
Hardtimes, that's usually what I do. Takes about 6 seconds for the bid to be accepted, so I put a bid in with around 13 seconds left in the auction. The other day I put in a small bid several hours earlier before the sale ended and that is the one I got 'booted' out of with 1 minute to go!! Only one other bidder and he won the auction, unless something fishy is going on that did cross my mind...................
Old 09-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #16
H. L. Chauvin

In my case it always depends on the "geographical" location of the internet connection and/or a different type of computer.

At my office, 8 miles away, connection is always great, computer is always fast, & E-bay always receives my last minute bids within a few seconds.

However, with a different computer at home, (again 8 miles distance), connection is always "iffy" with no connection at times, & computer is always much, much slower; hence, if I bid 2 minutes before bid ends, E-bay may or may not receive my bid on time.

If I bring my fast office laptop home, it cannot be trusted for fast bidding because the internet connection is "iffy", sometimes fast, sometimes slow, sometimes non existing.

Just one experience.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:35 PM   #17
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
In my case it always depends on the "geographical" location of the internet connection and/or a different type of computer.

At my office, 8 miles away, connection is always great, computer is always fast, & E-bay always receives my last minute bids within a few seconds.

However, with a different computer at home, (again 8 miles distance), connection is always "iffy" with no connection at times, & computer is always much, much slower; hence, if I bid 2 minutes before bid ends, E-bay may or may not receive my bid on time.

If I bring my fast office laptop home, it cannot be trusted for fast bidding because the internet connection is "iffy", sometimes fast, sometimes slow, sometimes non existing.

Just one experience.
do you have alternative providers..
or maybe you can upgrade the speed
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #18
TDO

Never had any luck bidding, so I just go to but it now.
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:04 PM   #19
J Franklin

Did you ask Ebay what was going on? Maybe hackers or a virus.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #20
hardtimes

Hey BlueSunoco,
Yeah, ebay is NOT as it used to be, so something 'fishy' will not be ruled out by me ! I tried to forget this recent story, but here goes. I put an engine up for sale. Long story short, ebay let it go for seven of ten days, then pulled the ad ...just when 'things' were getting hot bidder wise. Man was I stunned when it disappeared. Sooo, I called ebay and spent the NEXT 4 HOURS on the phone with robots/idiots..disquised as employees and qulp..'supervisors' The bottom line here, after calming myself (yoga), I did what 'they' ordered done..to put it in their recommended area. The next day it ended up back in the area that 'they' said it shouldn't be in So now it is in TWO areas. Some pissed off bidders and me eventually got thru ebay BS and I believe that I lost money on account of it. So, do 'fishy' things go on at ebay....YES THEY DO !!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #21
chl

I was using one click bid. I bid $27. and the bid showed up as $12. strange.
chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:17 PM   #22
Super88

I usually wait until near the end of the auction to bid, but I think I've actually won more auctions where I put my maximum bid in early because I wasn't going to be able to watch it. A pleasant surprise when you open your e-mail and find out you won.
Super88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #23
tbirdtbird
BANNED

wake up out there. Yes decide on your max bid early on.
But don't bid early or else you will just drive up the price!
Wait until the last hr
Old 09-01-2014, 10:36 PM   #24
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Mitch,

My 3 sons & daughter tell me that at home, the present rural connection is as good as it can get -- not worried, I very seldom use my home computer -- at the office where I need it, everything is fine -- dual monitors, clouds, the works.

Thanks for your kindness.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 09-01-2014 at 10:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-02-2014, 08:49 AM   #25
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chl View Post
I was using one click bid. I bid $27. and the bid showed up as $12. strange.
Same thing happened to me. I bid $8000. The seller lowered his reserve to $7105. Ebay told me it was lowered to a dollar over my $7104 bid.

Something smelled fishy so I just let it go.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #26
Bruce Adams

I do not know what happened to your bid, but I have used BIDNAPPER for ten years and they SNIPE at the last second, also warn me if others are sniping higher so I can raise my maximum if its my pleasure. It takes a lot of the pressure off bidding and generally I either win or lose to the maximum I originally set while in a relaxed, non-bidding frame of mind.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:10 PM   #27
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
I do not know what happened to your bid, but I have used BIDNAPPER for ten years and they SNIPE at the last second, also warn me if others are sniping higher so I can raise my maximum if its my pleasure. It takes a lot of the pressure off bidding and generally I either win or lose to the maximum I originally set while in a relaxed, non-bidding frame of mind.
I still cannot see the benefit here. If you establish your maximum there is no pressure to bid-your bid increases automatically and incrementally to keep pace with any other bids, up to the high limit you have set. Once your high mark is surpassed should you decide to bid more, then in my estimation you had never really set your top bid. Only then would the pressure increase.
I bid early and see no advantage otherwise. I decide how much I would pay for an item and in effect my bid is a proxy, it will go up and allow me to win, unless someone else values that widget more highly, or maybe just has more money and sees more value or scarcity. Sniping cannot be open-ended, it only pays to your limit just as an early bid would.
The snipe program purports to do something special, but in fact it does the same as an early bid. The only difference is it will notify you should your high bid be surpassed. Did you really decide up front what you would pay, or will you bid more in a "pressure" situation upon notification? That is the only difference.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #28
ronn

Fordors, where you are missing it is the fact that if you snipe at the last minute, others dont know that you existed. Whereas, when you bid early, you have set a warning and every idiot and his brother starts bidding against you. Therefore you have shown your hand early.
Think of it as a good game of blackjack....................
Old 09-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #29
Mike V. Florida

You are correct Fordors! If I have a bid for $100.00 on first day and someone enters a esnipe bid for less, it makes no difference, he loses the same as if he entered the first day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Fordors, where you are missing it is the fact that if you snipe at the last minute, others dont know that you existed. Whereas, when you bid early, you have set a warning and every idiot and his brother starts bidding against you. Therefore you have shown your hand early.
Think of it as a good game of blackjack....................
Let the idiots bid more then it's worth. I have a set amount in mind to spend. If want to be an idiot also, I will place a bid 10 times what the part is worth and I'm almost guaranteed to win every time. How many people are going to out bid 1000.00 for a 100.00 part.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #30
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
I still cannot see the benefit here. If you establish your maximum there is no pressure to bid-your bid increases automatically and incrementally to keep pace with any other bids, up to the high limit you have set. Once your high mark is surpassed should you decide to bid more, then in my estimation you had never really set your top bid. Only then would the pressure increase.
I bid early and see no advantage otherwise. I decide how much I would pay for an item and in effect my bid is a proxy, it will go up and allow me to win, unless someone else values that widget more highly, or maybe just has more money and sees more value or scarcity. Sniping cannot be open-ended, it only pays to your limit just as an early bid would.
The snipe program purports to do something special, but in fact it does the same as an early bid. The only difference is it will notify you should your high bid be surpassed. Did you really decide up front what you would pay, or will you bid more in a "pressure" situation upon notification? That is the only difference.
The problem with bidding early is there are bidders who will just chase
your bid until they are the high bidder. If you snipe your bid they have nothing to chase. Look at some items where a bidder will bid ten time
until he is the high bidder but he still looses to a sniper.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:30 PM   #31
H. L. Chauvin

1. E-bay is very similar to a Model A Forum.

2. If one sees zero (0) responses, it can stay like that for quite some time.

3. Then after one (1) entry, one wonders why all of a sudden everybody got interested & has something to offer.

4. Human nature? Curiosity? Fear to be first in line? Not sure what?

5. FWIW:

If one sees an unanswered question on a Model A Forum, & one sees the individual is not getting helpful responses, & you sincerely want to assist this person, just ask him if he changed his condenser lately, or anything .......... & in one hour, one can scroll down to read all 12 responses.

6. Hope this helps guys seeking Model A advice, and/or, helps to one acquire Model A parts on E-bay.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #32
Fordors

So? No one knows my high bid until theirs exceeds it. If they see more value, or just have more money, then they can have it. I have never entered a bidding war yet I win my fair share. Is something really rare, or in demand? Then I would bid accordingly, but again- if you see more value you bought it. My disappointment will always be tempered by knowing my impulses were not larger than my wallet.
To me ronn you make it sound as if no one else would surpass your high bid just because it was a snipe. Doesn't work that well in real life, your high snipe could be $XXX at 3 seconds 'til end of auction. A higher bid set early will beat that every time, and that is the bottom line.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #33
CarlG

This may or may not help me, but this is the way I have approached items that I really would like to win on:
1) place the minimum bid early on, just to get my "name" on the board.
2) Watch the progress throughout the bidding period.
3) If the item is still within my pre-set price range, bid that amount within the last minute to 30 seconds. If I'm successful, great. (I bought my Pickup that way) If someone else beats me to it or ups my bid in that last 15 seconds, Oh Well!

Now, if I really don't care whether I get it or not, just place my "best & final" whenever.
If someone else beats me to it, Oh Well!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:55 PM   #34
Jeff/Illinois

[QUOTE=H. L. Chauvin;938839
If one sees an unanswered question on a Model A Forum, & one sees the individual is not getting helpful responses, & you sincerely want to assist this person, just ask him if he changed his condenser lately, or anything .......... & in one hour, one can scroll down to read all 12 responses.

.[/QUOTE]

H.L.------ sadly it seems that more and more when someone comes onto FB with a question, often times they are belittled and attacked. I'm to understand that a number of VERY knowledgeable Model A Ford folks who were frequent posters here are no longer.

This is totally off-topic from the original thread I realize. But, this has been an extremely serious development here, and if it doesn't end soon there will be no reason to look here any more for information. I come here to learn and have learned a LOT. Hope to continue doing so.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:33 PM   #35
dlfrisch

I have had a couple of things, that has happened to me, dealing with you know who.
First one - I listed my new (only used about 2K miles) enclosed trailer. Put it in for bid, for 7 days. I had a $2.5K dollar Buy Now and thought it was a reserve. I had about $2.8K dollars in the trailer. The end product …someone bid it the last second or two for $1.5K dollars and won. Legally, I had to sell it and of course, I lost a lot of money. Nothing wrong, except me the dummy, did not know the correct procedure to have the Reserve issue written into the bidding agreement. I learned an expensive lesson !.
Second item - Again no real problem. Just a questionable thought. I listed my Model A and I DID have the proper Reserve written in. I only had one bid and early (first day) for all the agreed listing days. I’m not sure, it may have been my own starting bid. In the last few seconds someone bid a few dollars just over my Reserve. It seemed a little awkward, because it was an odd dollar $ reserve. I certainly wanted to get more money and I‘m happy, that it sold. My question is - how does someone know, want the item enough to bid $ on it and bit at just the last moment and just at the upper dollar end of the Reserve? The Reserve is suppose to be extremely private. Joe, public can’t get the Reserve. Makes me wonder, if there might be a loop-hole in that system or is it just bidders luck.
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #36
Super88

It's just like how people like their Model A's, everyone has their own preference.
Super88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:58 PM   #37
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrisch View Post
I have had a couple of things, that has happened to me, dealing with you know who.
First one - I listed my new (only used about 2K miles) enclosed trailer. Put it in for bid, for 7 days. I had a $2.5K dollar Buy Now and thought it was a reserve. I had about $2.8K dollars in the trailer. The end product …someone bid it the last second or two for $1.5K dollars and won. Legally, I had to sell it and of course, I lost a lot of money. Nothing wrong, except me the dummy, did not know the correct procedure to have the Reserve issue written into the bidding agreement. I learned an expensive lesson !.
Second item - Again no real problem. Just a questionable thought. I listed my Model A and I DID have the proper Reserve written in. I only had one bid and early (first day) for all the agreed listing days. I’m not sure, it may have been my own starting bid. In the last few seconds someone bid a few dollars just over my Reserve. It seemed a little awkward, because it was
an odd dollar $ reserve. I certainly wanted to get more money and I‘m happy, that it sold. My question is - how does someone know, want the item enough to bid $ on it and bit at just the last moment and just at the upper dollar end of the Reserve? The Reserve is suppose to be extremely private. Joe, public can’t get the Reserve. Makes me wonder, if there might be a loop-hole in that system or is it just bidders luck.

If your reserve is 5003.02 and the guy bids 6000.00 he will get
it for the reserve.

Bob
Old 09-02-2014, 05:56 PM   #38
ronn

Hey, Frisch,
have been bidding ebay since its inception-very easy to find out what a reserve is......

take an ordinary tudor A, bid a ridiculous 30,000 bid and you will hit reserve and see what the sellers reserve is-then go and withdraw your bid and now you know what the reserve was.
Had that happen to two of my brothers cars last month and it goes on all of the time and ebay allows it.
Also have had several bidders buy cars and never respond after winning, that is why I suggest car sales at approx 60% of reality and that is being kind on ebay.

I guess for you guys who like to bid early, keep doing what you're doing and I'll keep winning auction after auction getting exactly what I want at my price.....

Guess my analogy of backjack wasnt understood...........
Old 09-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #39
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Jeff,

Humble Opinion:

1. In the first place, it takes a very brave person to ask any Forum question. He/she should be highly respected.

2. Secondly, it takes a brave person to try to reply to any Forum question. He/she should be highly respected.

3. Lastly, it appears that most of us check the obituary columns every day to see if any of our friends passed away; however, it might be helpful if we think about how our announcement will read ...... will they remember us for respecting others .... or will they say the old know-it-all SOB with the Model A finally croaked.

Just one opinion.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 09-02-2014 at 06:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #40
BudP

I didn't croak! I'm still around!
BudP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #41
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Bud,

Good point !!!!

When we see Model A Forum questions & comments, this means we are "still" kicking.

After this doctor gave a half-hour long radio explanation on how seniors should exercise, the announcer asked the doctor if there was just "one" most important thing for seniors to remember about exercise.

The doctor replied, "Yes, if you keep moving, they cannot bury you."

Hope this helps guys to think twice before trying to buy a Model A "For Sale" sign.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:53 AM   #42
Lona

While most sellers won't do it, last car I bought on eBay, I called the seller about some questions on the car & then asked him what his reserve was and he told me. Makes bidding easier if you get lucky.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:39 AM   #43
Karl

I snipe all the time I use Gixen and it's free.

I decide what I am prepared to pay for a part and set my snipe at that level and leave it at that. If I miss out that is the way it was- the part was to expensive for me . However often I will get the part for much less than than what I would have been prepared to pay for it . Why would you not snipe and save yourself some dollars ? Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:09 AM   #44
whirnot

I copy and pssted this right out of my email. As you can see I had a bid of $8K. The seller lowered his reserve to $7105, which Ebay told me about. (I thought the reserve was supposed to be confidential) and for some reason they changed my bid to $7104 instead of 8K

Good news! The seller has lowered the reserve price on this item to less than your maximum bid of US $8,000.00.

You are now just $1 away from meeting the new reserve price.

Ford : Model A 1929 (Item #201151860838)Seller's NEW reserve price:US $7,105.00
(reserve not met)

Your maximum bid is now:US $7,104.00Place a bid of US $7,105.00 to meet the reserve.

View the item you're bidding on:

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
Old 09-03-2014, 09:15 AM   #45
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Hi Jeff,

Lastly, it appears that most of us check the obituary columns every day to see if any of our friends passed away; however, it might be helpful if we think about how our announcement will read ...... will they remember us for respecting others .... or will they say the old know-it-all SOB with the Model A finally croaked.

Just one opinion.
I LIKE that!!
Old 09-03-2014, 09:16 AM   #46
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
I copy and pssted this right out of my email. As you can see I had a bid of $8K. The seller lowered his reserve to $7105, which Ebay told me about. (I thought the reserve was supposed to be confidential) and for some reason they changed my bid to $7104 instead of 8K

Good news! The seller has lowered the reserve price on this item to less than your maximum bid of US $8,000.00.

(reserve not met)

Your maximum bid is now:US $7,104.00Place a bid of US $7,105.00 to meet the reserve.

Bill, that looks like a good buy at that money!! Congratulations have fun!!
Old 09-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #47
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Bill, that looks like a good buy at that money!! Congratulations have fun!!
I didn't win it, since my bid was lowered, and the reserve was published to me, it didn't smell right, so I did not bid again. It sold for 8050.00

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
Old 09-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #48
Randy in ca

Apparently eBay just crashed big time and could be up to 24 hrs before things get back to normal they're saying. Can't even log in.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:08 PM   #49
Bob C

I'm on now but I notice when I look at the bid history some auctions
don't show the bids.

Bob
Old 09-03-2014, 07:57 PM   #50
henry's 31

I have purchased many items on Ebay. I wait to bid when it gets down to 21 seconds and then I bid the most I am willing to pay. Most of the time it does not give another bidder time to increase their bid.

Henry's 31
henry's 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:47 PM   #51
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry's 31 View Post
I have purchased many items on Ebay. I wait to bid when it gets down to 21 seconds and then I bid the most I am willing to pay. Most of the time it does not give another bidder time to increase their bid.

Henry's 31
Sniping software does exactly that automatically. The only difference is it will bid as high as it needs to win the auction up to your defined maximum amount. So if your leading bid is half your maximum amount and the other bidders can't bid in time you get the item for 1/2 what you would have paid. I use www.gixen.com is free and works well for me -Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:59 PM   #52
pooch

Quote:

(reserve not met)

Your 8K bid still stood.

The winner just outbid you by $50 to win at $8050.

Check the run of bids and click show automatic bids.

The seller did not know you were willing to pay 8K.

Only ebay did.

It was all above board .
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #53
H. L. Chauvin

If one studys E-bay users 7 e-bay, it is visited by many gamblers who appear to be addicted to gambling.

One can find where someone bid, won, & in a couple of weeks places the item up for re-sale.

Lots of times it is later bought for far less than what they originally paid for it.

Maybe this is why there is no horse manure on a race track -- all the horse's behinds are in the stands.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 09-04-2014 at 10:27 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #54
ronn

Pooch has it right-
often a seller will lower their reserve as time goes by because they have just decided to sell regardless and previously thought they might get a higher amount.
Nothing fishy about it............. unless you're a fishmonger.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #55
Bob C

Quote:

(reserve not met)

Looking at the bid results whirnot's bid is the two $7104 bids not the $8000 bid.

Bob
Old 09-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #56
J Franklin

That is why it is an epay oddity.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #57
pooch

Did Whirnot cancel his 8K bid after the ebay email ?

He does not show up in the automatic bids after $7104 .

The seller lowered the reserve to 7105 when the bid was 7100 .

Then ebay proxied bidded the bid up to one dollar less and sent the email out to the highest bidder .

When a seller decides to lower the reserve, he cannot lower it to below what the highest bid is already.

That is why the one dollar more amount.

It may have had to have been to the next increment at $5, but same reason.

This is because.......if a bidder bids a set amount, and it still says reserve not met, and IF the seller COULD lower it to below this bid, this would automatically put the bidder as highest bidder and liable for sale.

This could be without his knowledge.

The bidder may have seen his bid say reserve not met and given up and moved on and never went back to ad, and then found he has bought it and has to pay.

That is why the one/five dollars more makes any bidder have to make a conscious decision to bid again when he knows the reserve is lifted AFTER the very next bid.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #58
BlueSunoco

In the past when I sold an item and it didn't meet reserve, and I DID want to send that item down the road, I would wait a couple of weeks and re-list with a lower reserve, closer to the last high bid. I always had success doing that.

NEVER re-list with a 'second chance' offer that always smells fishy, I never rebid an item when they send me an e-mail telling me that.

I am going to look at the snipe bid deals out there thanks for the info.....
Old 09-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #59
pooch

After studying the bids, I think if a reserve is lowered , you must re bid.

Maybe if the buyer was told the reserve by the seller privately, the buyer may only want to bid an amount below reserve just to show his interest in case the reserve is not met and can be negotiated after ad is ended .

This would explain why b***r with a max bid of $8000 (after the reserve was lifted ) took precedent over whirnot, even though normally, the earlier bid of the same amount takes precedent.

b***r bid his 8K after reserve was lifted and he auto outbid everyone but the final winner.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #60
Randy in ca

From eBay's Help Section:

"Lowering your reserve price

If you lower the reserve price below the high bidder's maximum bid, we lower the high bidder's maximum bid to $1.00 below the new reserve price.

We notifiy bidders of the new reserve price by email, and they must bid again to confirm interest in the item. The high bidder must bid again at or above the new reserve price."
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #61
J Franklin

Why would a seller lower his reserve past $8001? Just aski'n
Old 09-04-2014, 03:41 PM   #62
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in ca View Post

If you lower the reserve price below the high bidder's maximum bid, we lower the high bidder's maximum bid to $1.00 below the new reserve price.

We notifiy bidders of the new reserve price by email, and they must bid again to confirm interest in the item. The high bidder must bid again at or above the new reserve price."
I can see the logic in this. If you bid something UNDER the reserve price, it will accept your bid but will tell you that "The reserve has not been met". Therefore, you are "safe" from having to buy it at whatever price you bid. Sooooo, if the seller lowers his price below what you bid, and they didn't lower your bid as is stated above, you then have committed to buy, but not really know it. They are effectively just giving you a second chance to say that you really do want it. & if you do, you need to act on it.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #63
J Franklin

Got it! That just messes up my placing my highest bid and going on vacation away from all electronics. Oh wait, that place does't exist anymore!?
Old 09-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #64
pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in ca View Post

I searched for info like this but couldn't find it.

Thanks.

This explains this no oddity at all, just ebay policy and quite reasonable.

-----------------------------------------------

I have lowered a reserve on a vehicle I was selling.

It attracted a dozen questions, and had 2 test drives and spirited bidding from many different bidders at 24 hours before end .

I thought, what the heck, this is the best audience I am going to get, so put it on the market with a reserve that was one dollar more than the current high bid.

I was happy with the final sale, even though it was $900 less than my original reserve.

I have never seen an item sell for more on the second or third relist.

Last edited by pooch; 09-04-2014 at 05:44 PM.