Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-21-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
mshmodela

Default Shell Lacing

If you've wonder what new shell lacing looks like, I replaced my that was just barely hanging on:

The tool was very helpful, the new rivets were a tad shorter than the originals but worked.... and oh that little dish is from my local Harbor Fright a plastic encased magnetic disk under the metal dish --$3.99 and worth it!

The finished look (I have to wait until I remove the whole shell to get the top most rivets.)

The original rivets are STRONG! very stiff metal... A large pair of needle nose won the day.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio

Last edited by mshmodela; 06-21-2014 at 05:47 PM.
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Shell Lacing

You have a nice looking clean engine.

Where did you buy the tool?

BTW, the top hose clamps screw heads should face the left side.

I used a screwdrive to start the rivet, then a pliers to finish, which doesn't work as well as the correct tool like you have. Marco made his own tool, which puts a nice curl on the split rivets also.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:41 AM   #3
mshmodela

Tom,

Thank you, I got the tool from Synder's

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/5745

The tool is very basic, if one had welding tools, I think making your own would be simple (welding was my fav. 10th grade class back in the day... we made of all things car jack stands... The set of four I made I gave to my Dad, but those are lost ). I suppose I should buy a welder at some point...

And left being the driver's side (Oh I do not know my car left from right d'oh). LOL!

Our town has a summer parade next Friday and I'll be driving and my son will be tossing candy from the backseat... I might take the car to the weekend's other evert, a car show so folks can see her... I'm not in to shows of any kind (don't care about ribbons etc. )... but only wish to expose the car so folks might take an interest in historic cars..

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio

Last edited by mshmodela; 06-22-2014 at 01:47 PM.
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:36 AM   #4
sconnors

This looks like a handy tool. I'm assuming after looking at mine (pic attached) that you have to remove the radiator shell to replace the lacing as it looks like you wouldn't be able to get the tool in there. Am I correct?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2804.jpg (29.6 KB, 57 views)
sconnors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
fivefix

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconnors View Post
This looks like a handy tool. I'm assuming after looking at mine (pic attached) that you have to remove the radiator shell to replace the lacing as it looks like you wouldn't be able to get the tool in there. Am I correct?
I just installed new shell lacing on Saturday. Yes, you have to remove the shell to set the rivets over the radiator tank. What worked well for me was to set the top rivets, install the shield on the radiator and then set the rivets down each side. It was easier to rivet the lacing over the screws vs. fighting them after the lacing was applied.

I realize I will have to pry the lacing to the side any time I remove/install the shell in the future, but this was one less time.

I used the same tool as shown above and it was quick install.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 11.JPG (109.9 KB, 24 views)
fivefix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:00 AM   #6
sconnors

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefix View Post
I just installed new shell lacing on Saturday. Yes, you have to remove the shell to set the rivets over the radiator tank. What worked well for me was to set the top rivets, install the shield on the radiator and then set the rivets down each side. It was easier to rivet the lacing over the screws vs. fighting them after the lacing was applied.

I realize I will have to pry the lacing to the side any time I remove/install the shell in the future, but this was one less time.

I used the same tool as shown above and it was quick install.
Okay that's good to know! Thanks, I'll probably do the same as you! Appreciate your input.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:40 PM   #7
sconnors

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
Tom,

Thank you, I got the tool from Synder's

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/5745

The tool is very basic, if one had welding tools, I think making your own would be simple (welding was my fav. 10th grade class back in the day... we made of all things car jack stands... The set of four I made I gave to my Dad, but those are lost ). I suppose I should buy a welder at some point...

And left being the driver's side (Oh I do not know my car left from right d'oh). LOL!

Our town has a summer parade next Friday and I'll be driving and my son will be tossing candy from the backseat... I might take the car to the weekend's other evert, a car show so folks can see her... I'm not in to shows of any kind (don't care about ribbons etc. )... but only wish to expose the car so folks might take an interest in historic cars..
I ordered that tool and did my shell lacing this past weekend!! Works great!!! Worth the $30 big time!!