Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-22-2015, 07:25 PM   #1
51secondchance

Default Valve guides single piece

Hello all , I have a question regarding valve guides I know I have read it some ware but I'm not having luck finding it again , what is the consensus on lining the valve guides or just leaving them be , I have read that some people send them off to be sleeved. The reason is its supposed to help valves from sticking true ,false and with today's oils fuel additives is it necessary ? Thanks for any info its 8ba motor
51secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:26 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Valve guides single piece

I don't think it's needed.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:58 PM   #3
Karl Wolf

Some people sleeve them, bronze sleeves... A long time ago, I saw an OHV cylinder head with bronze inserts that did not go well. Also, I hold the opinion that exhaust heat transfer is better with just the cast iron.
I like to knurl new guides, gives a place for oil. Breaks up the flat surface of the inside of the guide and takes up for a bit of wear in used guides. And, I've got the knurl and reamer.

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:44 AM   #4
flatheadmurre

If you got stainless valves sticking is less of an issue.
About heat transfer i dont think either way is a problem.
Knurling them will take away contact area for heat transfer so not sure that would be better then the lining.
I use lining cause i think its a good way to restore a used guide.
If you got a good set of guides just stick them in and dont worry to much.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:51 AM   #5
Ken/Alabama

I had my machinist to line mine for the V12 in my Zephyr. I also have them in the 59A engine in my 40 . Using the liners is a good way to save otherwise worn out guides plus allows a little tighter stem to guide clearance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (88.1 KB, 44 views)
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:37 AM   #6
GOSFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51secondchance View Post
Hello all , I have a question regarding valve guides I know I have read it some ware but I'm not having luck finding it again , what is the consensus on lining the valve guides or just leaving them be , I have read that some people send them off to be sleeved. The reason is its supposed to help valves from sticking true ,false and with today's oils fuel additives is it necessary ? Thanks for any info its 8ba motor
Some of the best money you can spend on a build is for the bronzed-lined guides. You will never experience a "hung" valve.

Another area on any build is a light-weight "moly" ring pack and some forged pistons.

We've supplied numerous members up here with the bronze guides on an exchange basis. We've knurled one set of new guides for a customer. It's more expensive when we "knurl" here due to the fact we do NOT use the conventional type (tap-style/one-shot) knurling tool. We do them with a "rolled-thread" knurling system. Uses a small "diamond" wheel and "rolls" the thread instead of "pushing" the metal from the guide. We have 5 size knurling wheels depending on the wear in older guides.

All sets we sold were supplied with the valves as well, customer choice on the valves. Some OEM Flathead, some "longer" Chev's.

I do recommend the liners over the knurling!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Lately we haven't been able to keep the finished guides on the shelf here, they are an excellent seller. Thats the "UTP" knurling tool in the right photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Bronze Guides Seals.JPG (74.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Valve Guide Knurler-UTP 1972.JPG (90.1 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by GOSFAST; 11-23-2015 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Add photo
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:55 AM   #7
Tim Ayers

Ronnie the Roadster does them as well. I have a set of his bronze lined and "chopped" guides so they don't protrude into the valve port.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:56 AM   #8
Ol' Ron

Been knurling guides for 20 years, tighter fit, great lubrication and I have the tools. However, The flathead is so over designed and kind to the backyard builder that most anything you do works. Probably the only improvement you can make is to coat the guide with a small amt of RTV before instillation instead of the ribber seal. And for the next re builder Never seize for the exhaust.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:57 AM   #9
Tim Ayers

There are some guys that use the solid exhaust guides for both v. the dedicated intake guide with the machined rib.

Thoughts on this?
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:52 AM   #10
Ronnie

Bronze liners are a good repair process. Those that don't like them shouldn't use them.
Most of the failures in any program are the fault of the installer and not the product.Liners are a well designed and solid way to give the user a reliable guide.
There are "millions" of repaired liners out there that stand up.The few that post about the failures are not really a fair statement as to the worthiness of the liner. The repair that Old Ron uses is also a tried and true way to keep your flathead running and quite reliable also.
Are liners an added expense yes they are but you get what you paid for. I myself am in the liner guide bunch and have done too many to keep track of and they do a great job.
Go to the NHRA track and you will see that a 10000 hp fuel car uses a bronze liner. And it would be fair to say that there isn't a class that runs there that doesn't use them. Briggs and Stratton have had the bronze guide repair program for 40+ years.

R

Last edited by Ronnie; 11-23-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote