Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
DeBordEngineMan

Default Bonded or rivited brake shoes which is better?

I have been looking to redo my brakes getting together parts that I will need and my front brake shoes are bonded and the back ones are rivited. Now I don't know what the difference would be if any, my car is a driver so all I want is to be safe. A local clutch and brake shop can bond new ones on for me for about the same price as the linings only from model a parts houses so is there any difference? Would like to use a local shop if bonded ones would be alright for the model a brake system. Thanks for your help, Robert DeBord
DeBordEngineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
CWPASADENA

Default Re: Bonded or rivited brake shoes which is better?

I would definately use the original type wolven linings. They are much softer then the linings that the brake shop can bond to your shoes. The wolven linings are a little more work and may cost a little more but they will work better.

Also be sure to have the linings arced to your drums, this is VERY important with drum brakes. Also be sure the shoes are properly centered on the backing plates. Les Andrews has a good write up about this in his manuals.

My opinion,

Chris
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
Vic in E-TN

Smile Re: Bonded or rivited brake shoes which is better?

Robert:
Two things to consider. I understand that you are not going to get cast iron drums right now. With that said you are better off with the riveted woven linings on the pressed steel drums. If and when you get the new style cast iron drums you should strongly consider bonded regular linings. You can specify the grade of lining and get a softer one with a higher friction coefficient than the woven linings. They won't last forever but will provide better stopping power if everything else is up to good condition. Check on the fit of new roller pins in the holes in the shoes. If they very loose you can possibly ream them out and press in a thin bushing to take out the slack.

You did not say what type of linings that you have on the front and back.

Vic
Vic in E-TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
Ray64

I use bonded shoes with my castiron drums and they work good for me RAY
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
2manycars

I had woven soft linings bonded to my shoes at the local frictions shop, for the roadster pickup I did last year. I wanted the linings to last a while, and riveted linings use half their bulk in the riveting process. I contoured the shoes to the steel drums, and rebuilt the tracks,and the brakes are amazing. I am sold on these brakes, and will use them on the next car.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
DeBordEngineMan

Hey Vic I really don't know what type of lining I have the front are bonded and the rear are rivited but both are NOT woven I am pretty sure they have been relined in the past someone cut grooves across the pads to let dirt and dust get out and not on drum face I guess? they are also gray in color. I have decided to go ahead and get the cast drums offered by Mel Gross in California and to replace all linings,tracks.rollers,pins etc. anything that is wore it is out and new back why worry about the money now this is to important to chance I just want to learn how to do it myself hopefully I have a guy that is going to help me with that in a few weeks just want to get some of the parts that I know that is worn. If the guy helping falls threw I might give you, John and Bob a call for some HELP!!! because I know that I am going to need it!!! Thanks Robert DeBord
DeBordEngineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
pat in Santa Cruz

Robert,
if you are using cast drums (a good choice you made there, you will never regret it) you should use molded linings. Bonded linings are fine, will give you a little more time before replacing them and will not cut into the drum like rivets do when the linings are half way worn. BTW, Mel can put linings on your shoes, true the hubs, swage the drums to the hubs, true the drums and arc the shoes too, all at a reasonable price plus shipping. His is a good deal, especially considering he knows Model A brakes better than most brake shops.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote