Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2023, 08:52 AM   #1
54FordYBlockGuy

Default First Ford Y Block (V8) Which Came with an Alternator

Group:

Question and the reason why I am asking:

Q. What was the "First" (year/model) Ford V8 Y Block that came with an "Alternator" vs. the generator?

Why I ask: Well for many of you, you will understand my reasoning but let me give a comparison supporting it.

A few years back I ran a Lake Erie Charter; miss those days...oh well to continue. I was running a 32 ft. Mercruiser Outdrive. My starter went out, I walked up to the Marina Repair Shop, and asked the tech if they had or could order me a new starter; he gave me some "crazy" price and then said:

"Hey, that is what they charge because it is for a boat, it's' the same starter you can get at the parts store for a 350 Chevy, 1/2 price".

Sort of the same as parts for a Chevy vs. a Cadilac, or a Mercury vs. a Lincoln, many fit, and many are the same, just more costly simply due to the model.

So: my question above is based on the fact that when changing from a 6 volt to a 12 volt on my 54 Customline, they want some crazy price of $150.00 or more just for the "Alternator Bracket", whereas if you buy one for a Ford V8, one that came with an alternator, it's like $40.00.

I'm thinking when Ford switch to the Alternator from the generator, on the same Y Block, well not many changes were made, maybe a few holes will need to be drilled in the bracket, but I bet it can be made to fit.

Ok, that's my "Q" and my "Reasoning".

Look forward to your replies.

Thanks;
54FordYBlockGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 11:27 AM   #2
55blacktie

Default Re: First Ford Y Block (V8) Which Came with an Alternator

Considering that 1964 was the last year for the Y-block in North America, I'm not aware that any came from the factory with an alternator. Y-blocks (different heads) continued to be manufactured in South America. Maybe they were equipped with an alternator.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 01:59 PM   #3
cadillac512

I don't think any such thing existed, OEM. But the good news is, the generator bracket can be modified for an alternator pretty easily with a welder, hacksaw, drill and some flat bar .

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 09:03 PM   #4
54FordYBlockGuy

Sad, but the "original" generator bracket did not come with this 54; and the alternator was mounted with No Adjustment (half moon) bracket; so I need to obtain or pre-fab an adjustable belt tension bracket.

What I am going to attempt is:

Ordered and just received today a bracket for a 260/289 302 (eBay); it was only $18.00 but what I wanted it for is to see if I can "modify" to work on this 54; if not I'm only out $18.00.

We'll see what happens.
Old 09-02-2023, 10:25 PM   #5
55blacktie

You should have asked Ted Eaton ([email protected]) before buying any parts or trying to fabricate something that might not work. I bet he can tell you what will work.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 06:46 AM   #6
KULTULZ

Quit beating yourself to death - https://carcrap.net/product/272-292-...t-y-block-thu/

ALT was available starting in 1957 but it was a LEECE-NEVILLE, big and ugly.
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 08:04 AM   #7
RKS.PA

Just did an edit on my previous post in which I asked why you didn't want to stay with a generator, but then looked at some of your prior posts...different question....and saw that you are trying to "correctly" convert from 6 volts to 12 and have charging issues.

If I read correctly, this new car to you came with an alternator and some sort of bracket, but what you need is a way to adjust belt tension?

Last edited by RKS.PA; 09-03-2023 at 08:36 AM.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 08:40 AM   #8
54FordYBlockGuy

Just had an opportunity to read some of the replies; all good, all appreciated.

RKS, PA: Yes, this 54 came with a "?" 6 to 12-volt conversion; when I looked at the 54, you can see, and it was explained that it was an "old" restoration (at some time), sat for a long time and now up for sale, an "Estate" type sale.

I looked it over, she had "good bones", a solid body, started right up, all lights worked, drove it, made an offer, and bought it.

Drove it home, freeway speeds, over 50 some miles home, no problems; so I'm not disappointed in the purchase - BUT - should have looked at that so-called "conversion" a little better.

When I looked over the engine, under the hood I saw the "Alternator" there and moved on.

Got her home, went to start her up and the battery was DEAD.

Jumped her, moved her into the back shop area, started looking her over, and saw that the "one wire" alternator, wire was just hanging there., WOW, that's an "easy fix".

Connected the wire, the car started up, then died?

Looked her over again, and found that it still had the "6 Volt Coil"

This suggested to me that the seller or previous owner knew that if that alternator was connected, it would blow the coil, suggesting the so-called "conversion" was not true or not proper.

While working on removing the alternator I noticed that there was NO TENSION mount, the loop portion of any alternator bracket that allows for the movement of the alternator to ensure belt tension.

So this is where I am at:
Found that the "Y Block Alternator Brackets" they sell for the conversion run around $160.00, which I feel is extremely expensive when you can buy a traditional bracket for around 1/2 that price; so I thought I would replace it with an originals V8 bracket with maybe some fabrication, drill some holes, cut, file off some parts, etc.

That is not working out; just may have to buy the $160.00 Bracket
Old 09-04-2023, 09:10 AM   #9
RKS.PA

Agree that $160 for a bracket seems outrageous!! Do you think the one that KULTULZ highlighted for $119 might be a solution? Seems pretty straightforward so maybe fabricate one yourself??

Best of luck bringing your '54 back!! Believe you're on the right track!!

Regards....Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 09:54 AM   #10
Dobie Gillis

I have the one KULTULZ suggested on my Merc. Been on there a couple of years with no hiccups.
Old 09-04-2023, 10:17 AM   #11
54FordYBlockGuy

I checked out KULTULZ's suggestions and just added it to my "cart"; looks like I may go in that direction; I haven't checked out yet, still doing a little research, but again I think that may be my best bet; thanks KULTULZ.

I let the group know how it works out.

Also, may just go with a 2-3 Wire Alternator based on what I've learned, and read about the 1-Wire Units; more RPM to excite, not much room for gauges to be installed without some additional wiring (resistors), etc.; so maybe replacing this alternator.

Again, thanks, group.
Old 09-04-2023, 04:16 PM   #12
KULTULZ

EDIT -

Original statement corrected from GM tractors.

That one-wire GM ALT was for farm tractors. The DELCO ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS was popular one-fits-all in the olden days.

Find yourself a nice 1G ALT (3-WIRE) (FORD-AUTOLITE-MOTORCRAFT), the correct wiring harness and a VR using an AUTOLITE DECAL and it will look like factory.

Last edited by KULTULZ; 09-05-2023 at 02:16 AM. Reason: THE USUAL - CRS
Old 09-04-2023, 04:48 PM   #13
54FordYBlockGuy

Appreciate the tip KULTULZ, but right now just want whatever alternator I put on her to "charge the battery", and accessories I'll deal with later; as for a New Wiring Harness, or looking "factory", not worried about that at this point just want to get her on the road, maybe an Ohio winter project. The reason I am going with a 2-3 wire alternator at this point is mainly for the Low RPM Charging capability.
Old 09-04-2023, 05:29 PM   #14
Dobie Gillis

A one wire alternator will charge at low rpm after you wake it up by raising engine rpm. When you shut the engine off you will need to repeat the process. This can be done by simply driving the car at a moderate speed or in a lower gear.
Old 09-04-2023, 07:44 PM   #15
paul2748

I have heard that the one wire is not available at local parts stores - is that true ?
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 07:49 PM   #16
Lamar Wadsworth

Most of the aftermarket wiring harnesses on the market are designed to work with a common GM internal regulator alternator. That's what I used on the '38 Ford pickup I had for 55 years and what I'm using on the '55 Ford I'm working on now. I fabbed an alternator bracket but may end up buying the one Kultulz recommended to mount it down low where the original generator was.
Lamar Wadsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 02:13 AM   #17
KULTULZ

Unhappy Re: First Ford Y Block (V8) Which Came with an Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54FordYBlockGuy View Post

Appreciate the tip KULTULZ, but right now just want whatever alternator I put on her to "charge the battery", and accessories I'll deal with later; as for a New Wiring Harness, or looking "factory", not worried about that at this point just want to get her on the road, maybe an Ohio winter project. The reason I am going with a 2-3 wire alternator at this point is mainly for the Low RPM Charging capability.
The ALT can be wired to self excite (I can't believe I posted that).
Old 09-06-2023, 07:47 AM   #18
54FordYBlockGuy

Contacted a few of the "suggested contacts" that this group gave and received some great information; with all the suggestions here is where I am at with my thoughts:

1. Purchase the suggested "Y-Block Alternator Bracket" currently on the market

2. Purchase a "New", Tuff Stuff Model #7098 100 amp Alternator (available at Summit
)

I think once done that will save me a lot of headaches and I can move on from there.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the comments and pics of the "Fabricated" brackets and I thought of going that route, actually attempted one from what I had in the shop, but it just may be easier, and better to get the Y Block Bracket out there.

Thanks for all the tips; and I'll keep the group posted.

I find information like this is extremely useful and often saves time and headaches.