Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
Tom Elliott

Default Judging condition of axle taper's

How would I go about valuating the taper on the end of the rear axles? Don't want to put everything together and then have to use shims on the axle tapers. Any way to measure them? Thanks, Tom
Tom Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
George Miller

Default Re: Judging condition of axle taper's

I do not know the size. But if they have been run loose, the key slots will be wore and the keys will be loose in the key slot.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:39 PM   #3
Fullraceflathead

I wanted to know this too. I've read where it's supposed to be 1 1/2 degrees per foot if I remember correctly.
I'm curious to know which is harder the axle or the Hub. The Axles file down easily as if they are not hardened at all. I had to do both of my 5/8 threads down to 9/16 as they were damaged/stripped from previous owner.
Anyone have a Blueprint???
I'm a Quality Control Inspector and have a CMM at work that I can use to measure the Taper with down to millionths of an inch. The problem is my spare axles have some lite surface rust. The CMM will be influenced by this to some degree.
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

On your axles, try some evaporust to get off rust without any acids that might affect things.
Fort archival drawings of parts are filed by part number...that might be a source of information. One interesting factoid I ran into in a circa 1946 Ford ad was that axles had three different heat treat zones, I would assume gear, shaft, and taper. I haven't yet found any Ford patents on the actual axle shaft, but I bet there are some on these things. Making gear integral for strength and cost savings was a primary claim on the patents for the rear end assembly.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Elliott View Post
How would I go about valuating the taper on the end of the rear axles? Don't want to put everything together and then have to use shims on the axle tapers. Any way to measure them? Thanks, Tom
The easiest way is to lap the axle to the hub.
After the first "scrub" you will easily be able to see any low spots.
If the taper is not too badly scored, you should be able to get a 100% surface after some lapping.
The keyway should not be loose at all.
As a side note, the taper actually drives the wheel, NOT the key.
Pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:30 AM   #6
Chris in CT

Hi Tom, You may be asking for a little too much here. The first thing you would have to do is to make sure the tapers are free from dirt and free from burrs. The second thing is to have a flawless female taper to test fit to the axle taper. Taking measurements of the taper is very tricky and requires great skill and certain measuring equipment. Lapping the axle to the hub is certainly the way to go as Pete has suggested above, but you need to know that the hub taper is accurate as well. Also, if you do lap the axle to the hub, you may find that when the fit is complete that the hub has moved too far inward, and that you will have to use shims anyway in order to move the hub back out on the taper. If you can manage to get a hold of an undamaged, unworn hub for a test female taper, that would be a great start. Good Luck with this!
Chris in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:43 AM   #7
Joe K

Lapping is a process which removes 10 thousandths of an inch. Lapping, or even grinding using cloverleaf (more on the scale you need here) MIGHT remove 0.001. With a 6/1 taper this would move the wheel in 0.006.

Like the amount you bend the perimeter of the backing plate as you remove it with your hand and it's stuck on the paint.

I would go for a quick grind with 180 Cloverleaf and call it done.

Joe K