Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-28-2014, 10:40 PM   #41
KenCoupe

Talking Re: OT: Is a 'themed' shop necessary to a (potential) customer??

I agree with most of the guys above - the shop should be clean, well laid out, and have the equipment needed to do a quality restoration. I had my engine rebuilt by Jay Steele before he passed away. His shop was not fancy, but it was excellent in the work area (clean, well organized, etc.) and when you talked to him, you knew he knew what he was talking about. Good reputation for quality work and reasonable prices are important too.

Having said that, a little decoration in the customer area and office area where customers might see the offices show you care about the customers and people who work for you. It can be done quite reasonably cost wise. In my home "office" I have framed a few of the Model A advertisements I have collected over the years. I also have some Model A photos and a few other things. It probably cost me $200 for everything. I imagine with you having been in the hobby for quite some time, you probably have memorabilia from Model A, Model T and other cars you work on that can be displayed with little to no cost. You have already mentioned the scale models; I imagine customers would enjoy viewing those.

Anyway, the atmosphere can be created fairly inexpensively and give you the added customer interest you might be looking for, but quality, workmanship, affordability, and cleanliness are probably more important.

Just my opinion.

Ken
KenCoupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:11 PM   #42
willowbilly3

Default Re: OT: Is a 'themed' shop necessary to a (potential) customer??

The garages I like best decorated themselves over time, not some big intentional interior designer theme from the start.
If I actually were to hire my work out, that would not be a factor in how well thought out the decorations were. A reputation should precede all that. The best machinist in this town and a guy who can almost do magic, works in a shop that is a total shithole.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:31 PM   #43
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
OK, thanks for your thoughts. A question is 'would you as a customer be willing to pay for that'?

Why I ask is, a themed interior and exterior will likely add 10% to the total price of construction. In other words, that comes in at $80k - $100k of additional expense. So if I am to add that amount into my overhead, that probably equates to $1,000 to $2,000 extra cost per car we restore just to cover those architectural & decor costs. If that is the case, is the extra costs in restoring your car still worth the ambience?
I personally would rather spend the money on my car rather than on your shop. I know someone has to pay but I would rather it not be me. And remember we are talking Model A cars and budgets not Packards and Cadillacs ( there is a big difference ).
IMHO, Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:38 PM   #44
PepeLoco

Please don't skimp on the bathroom.
PepeLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:40 PM   #45
Tom Wesenberg

You'll need a picture of a Studebaker hanging on the wall to show the customers that you know quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StudeChamp6.jpg (75.8 KB, 23 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:56 AM   #46
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
You'll need a picture of a Studebaker hanging on the wall to show the customers that you know quality.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:44 AM   #47
colin1928

Brent my 1st thought is clean and tidy workshop but not so it looks like no work is done
Keep it simple
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:07 AM   #48
springerpete

The best mechanics I know that work on old Ford's and other very high end classic cars operate out of pretty low class LOOKING buildings. But inside it is a different story as far a facilities and tools. For me it is the ability and honesty of the worker. While nice looking buildings are fine, and I do appreciate old architecture, I am more concerned with what finally rolls out of the shop door. Would I be interested in an extra 10-20 $/hr to support a styled building, no. I do enjoy the Model A museum and support it fully but they are not fixing my car.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:12 AM   #49
stouchton

I honestly did not read all of the posts, but do have experience hiring a shop for a full restoration of my 67.

Anyway, I am actually put-off by excessively decorated and ornamental offices and buildings - I feel I will be paying for all this overhead in the end, thus will be excessively charged.

Clean, simple, nice aura, that works for me. I am more interested in the actually facility, tools, spray booth compressors and driers, sheet metal tools (like a guy actually using an English wheel...).

I walked into, and out of, facilities that I felt were just too dressed up.
stouchton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:31 AM   #50
Rex_A_Lott

I read most of these, just as about everything else, everybody has their own opinion...there is no one answer.
I THINK..... You just have to look at your clientele. Most of us are attracted to the Model A because it reminds us of what we perceive as a simpler time, and we appreciate simple arrangements.
Just a suggestion....many of the folks here admit they put their car into hibernation for the winter. Maybe you could make a deal to "store" some of those cars you've restored, in a climate-controlled atmosphere, for part of the year...on public display, of course. You get the benefit of saying " Here's some of my work, here's the guy's phone number, call him and ask him how I treated him". The owner doesnt have to worry about freezing temps, mice, moths etc. for a period of time. Win/win ?
As the others said, results and word of mouth will do more for you than any decor.
Good Luck.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:39 AM   #51
Logan

My opinion is the quality of work brings in the customers. Not the signs inside or shape of the building. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. It's my personal opinion that it doesn't matter if you're working out of a 20x30 shed, or a 100x100 brick building with landscape. As long as you do good work and are honest with people, customers will come.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:47 AM   #52
newshirt

The days of paying just for products and services ended in the 1940's.

Remember when gas was 30 cents a gallon? Or a pair of sneakers was a dollar? Or a rebuilt engine was $25? That was because you were just paying for the product alone. No marketing... no salesmanship... no bling. But times have changed.

In most cases today, you pay 95 cents on the dollar for marketing, and 5 cents for the actual product itself! Packaging alone is a quarter of that cost, with attractive designs, injection mold tooling, etc. That's not even part of the product!

It sounds noble and nostalgic say you won't pass marketing costs on to customers. But today's bling junkies expect it. If they don't see slick presentation, they think something is wrong. So if you want to stay viable for the next 50 years, you'll have to embrace the new way of doing business. That new way is marketing, marketing, marketing.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:41 AM   #53
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerpete View Post
The best mechanics I know that work on old Ford's and other very high end classic cars operate out of pretty low class LOOKING buildings. But inside it is a different story as far a facilities and tools. For me it is the ability and honesty of the worker. While nice looking buildings are fine, and I do appreciate old architecture, I am more concerned with what finally rolls out of the shop door. Would I be interested in an extra 10-20 $/hr to support a styled building, no. I do enjoy the Model A museum and support it fully but they are not fixing my car.

I sincerely thank each & everyone for taking the time to post their thoughts!!

What Mr. White has said about marketing in these times is some of what I am hearing from the 'Outsiders' which has made me question this. It seems flamboyant first-impressions are often what makes many consumers decide if a business is for them. While I typically feel/felt like I am not impressed by ambience, when it was explained to me I began to realize I am more influenced than I thought I was. If you think about Disney Land/World, Dollywood, et/al who have spent mega-dollars on moods & ambience, it makes sense how they see a larger annual attendance than a Six-Flags amusement park does. The same thing with Cracker Barrel restaurant which has a nice décor inside however those items hanging from the ceiling really does not make the food taste any better than the restaurant next door. When you look around, there are huge sums of money spent on ambience of businesses, ...and even home garages are being transformed from places where automotive work takes place to a thing called a 'man cave' where folks just want to feel the mood.

So, ...I guess the frugal side of me wants to take the less-expensive road with regard to building architecture & ambience. What has made this a little unnerving for me is I feel our clientele is slightly changing as we are seeing other marques of vehicles pass through our doors. Yes, we have/use all of the specialty equipment & tools many speak about, yet is it enough? I guess time will tell. I think many have given me a peace about what direction I should plan for ...at least for now. Thanks again everyone!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:04 AM   #54
bart78

One of the main things I would look at when building something. Is how will well would it sell when I'm done with it. Will a person buying the place have to spend a lot more money to change something. And will that keep someone from buying it of you ever do sell it. I see it all most like a house.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:17 AM   #55
abachman3

I believe that a reasonably clean and comfortable reception, modestly themed to old cars goes a long way to setting the idea that you specialize in older restorations. Also, having an area to "present' a recently finished vehicle awaiting shipping/pick-up goes a long way to displaying what the customer can expect. Keep the work area tidy, but not hospital stark and sterile. Invite the potential customer into the shop when possible.

As already stated, don't make the customer 'pay' for your collections and stick it in their face.
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:01 AM   #56
Model A Man

Wow, and to think this thread has 'would you as a customer be willing to pay for that'?
Old 10-29-2014, 11:39 AM   #57
J Franklin

I doubt it would cost more than a few thousand dollars to add an architecturally exciting front entrance to even a box building to emphasize an era. It might catch the eye and stick in the memory of a potential customer. Likewise maybe a few hundred to decorate the waiting area with simple items, say old reprints of auto ads and parts that are removed for replacement. There is no need to be garish or over adorned at all. I think you would generate more business if you show you have a feeling for the era and not just twisting a nut.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:27 PM   #58
Russell in Tulsa

Brent, you mentioned an area for the customers wife and spouse to sleep. Do your customers ever arrive in a motor home pulling a trailer with the A on it? And want to wait for a quick service or whatever? For minimal cost have a sewer and water and electric connection available within the fenced area and well lit for their piece of mind, if insurance would allow it that is. Free hook-up of course but watch out if Tom W. or Bill (the Guru) come to "visit" as your utilities may skyrocket!
Just a thought.
Russell in Tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #59
Girl with wrench

I vote for: Quality work, attention to personal service, and everything clean and tidy. Staff with great attitude is essential. Nix the glitz and car memorabilia. All that phony "rustic décor" at the chain restaurants just collects dust which is not clean and tidy! Agree with comment that displaying a collection looks like we are paying for your hobby. Would love to see quality photos of the projects you have completed (or before and after). Photos could showcase range of your skills (even including a Studebaker) and pride in your work, they’d be easy to display, not take up floor space, and could help customers decide on various choices. Save your money on the exterior; an architect can design a handsome (but inexpensive) entrance for a utilitarian building. Love your idea of quiet place to wait, lie down for a nap, read, or watch the tube. Also like idea of some sort of accommodation for a motor home. Wonder if insurance company or zoning will approve of either type of overnight guests? Good luck with your venture.

Girl with business start-up experience
Girl with wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:28 PM   #60
Mitch//pa
BANNED

one must have is a keurig with a large supply of jet fuel coffee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (49.6 KB, 16 views)
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote