Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
SeaSlugs

Default Simple one speed carburetor.

Was visiting Rainmaker Ron the other day and he had an engine setup on his test stand running it off of this carb. He said he also uses it to narrow down if an issue is carb related or not.

fill the can with fuel - this behaves like your float bowl in your carb, crack the ball valve about 1/4" open - that's like having the throttle slightly open (aka how much air mixes with the fuel) If you need to choke to start put your finger over the open side of the T off the vacuum port of the intake - while cranking the engine over this pulls more fuel in and gets the flow going. Adjusting the ball valve changes if it runs richer or leaner - changes how much vacuum is pulled across the fuel can and thus how much fuel is sucked in.

Engine was purring like a kitten at one speed setup like this. With this setup it would eliminate everything carburetor and fuel related when trying to figure out an issue you may be having. Takes no time at all to install and made for under $10. Or like most of you (myself included) about 10 minutes rummaging around the garage or basement could find all the pieces.

A few more pictures of intrest on his test stand:

The whole setup. The exhaust is looped under the engine and up and out the top.

Basic yet effective way to hang the fuel tank in front of the radiator - away from the battery, carb, and exhaust if it were to backfire. Plus its a convenient out of the way place to put it. Makes for a compact test stand.

he found that a basic steel pan from a farm store is just the right diameter for a flywheel shield - never wise to have an open rotating object to grab loose fitting clothing.

of course a little modification for the bendix to clear is in order. Still allows enough of a gap to visually see whats going on.

dont need a big fancy setup with tons of switches. Basic on off switch just like your key to stop the engine.

combination throttle control and starter rod support. The throttle control knob replicates the function of pulling your throttle lever down for a fast idle when cold.

Rainmaker Ron never ceases to amaze me and thought I'd share some of his ideas with you guys! (he gave me permission of course ) All I can say is it beats the pants off my engine stand that some of you remember
Old 10-27-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Simple one speed carburetor.

I think his wife Jane knows as much about Model A's as he does.

Many times when ordering parts some time ago, I would ask several parts question & Jane would reply, "I know what Ron will say."

Then Ron would pick up the phone & repeat exactly what Jane said.

Wonderful couple -- miss both of them.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #3
Rainmaker Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
I think his wife Jane knows as much about Model A's as he does.

Many times when ordering parts some time ago, I would ask several parts question & Jane would reply, "I know what Ron will say."

Then Ron would pick up the phone & repeat exactly what Jane said.

Wonderful couple -- miss both of them.
Henry, It is hard to express just how much Jane and I miss those great days serving customers like you. Thanks for the memories and the kind words. I am still in the shop most days working on customer cars.
Ron
Rainmaker Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:57 PM   #4
Russ/40

The enginuity of his work is inspiring. I can't imagine coming up with that fuel delivery system.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:36 PM   #5
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
The enginuity of his work is inspiring. I can't imagine coming up with that fuel delivery system.
Need (and a short pocketbook) is the mother of invention.

Nice - I knew I was saving that 1" square tubing for something.

Joe K
Old 10-30-2014, 04:56 AM   #6
Bruce of MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
The throttle control knob replicates the function of pulling your throttle lever down for a fast idle when cold.
How does that work with the one speed carb? The link on the right side seems to be unconnected. I'm probably missing something simple.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:43 AM   #7
SeaSlugs

It is - you can use a standard model a carb on this engine stand also (notice the fuel tank hose isnt connected to anything either ;P). He just had this carb hooked up instead of the usual zenith.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
Russ/40

The way I understand his carb solution, is the "t" fitting at the vacuum port of the intake manifold is open to pull air past the fuel supply line, thus pulling fuel in from the vented fuel can. The ball valve below compensates for the needed fuel air mixture to run at a given fuel air mixture and speed. Correct?
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:33 PM   #9
mshmodela

Very fine Engineering!!

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #10
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
The way I understand his carb solution, is the "t" fitting at the vacuum port of the intake manifold is open to pull air past the fuel supply line, thus pulling fuel in from the vented fuel can. The ball valve below compensates for the needed fuel air mixture to run at a given fuel air mixture and speed. Correct?
yes, either sucking air or blowing air over a tube submerged in liquid creates a drop in pressure in the tube thus draws the liquid up. old paint spray guns use this principle. adjust how much paint comes out by how fast the air (low the pressure)is moving across the paint needle.

the ball valve gives the correct amount of air so the fuel can burn - gasoline is a tad finicky when it comes to igniting from a spark - too much fuel and no boom too little and no boom.

do a fun experiment with an air hose and a straw with the end in a pail of water. put the straw in the pail and blow the air gun over the top of the straw, it will mist/spray water somewhere so dont have it aimed at something you dont want to get wet lol