Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2014, 12:19 PM   #41
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: Tail light safety and modern traffic

Something I learned while riding motorcycles is when at a intersection with a four way stop sign is make eye contact with the other drivers to make sure they see me. If not I allow them the right of way. I have have come close to being T-Boned a couple of times because people 'just didn't see me'.

Actually when I drive I always drive defensively as if I'm on my motorcycle, un-protected...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:23 PM   #42
TerryH

To me, driving a Model A without the second tail light makes about as much sense as using the original fan.....you're daring something won't happen.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #43
heneste

I haven't had the bad luck that some have but I have had close calls when I still had the original 6v bulb setup at the rear. For that reason, I opted for the LED lights at the rear and am happy that people see them better than the original style.

I had driven the car for awhile using hand signals but I can't count how many times I go to signal by hand to go into the left hand turning lane and people zoom by me thinking I'm waving them through. I'm not sure if they still teach people in drivers education what the hand signals represent but from what I've seen (cars and bikes included) not very many people know the proper signals unless it's a flashing light.
heneste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #44
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by heneste View Post
I'm not sure if they still teach people in drivers education what the hand signals represent but from what I've seen (cars and bikes included) not very many people know the proper signals unless it's a flashing light.
Around here I also wonder what people are being taught (or remember) such as using a turn signal at all or what a limit line is when coming to a stop (people just cruise right out into the crosswalk or up to corner) or what a double yellow line means. Geez, don't get me started...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #45
dr.j

No matter how many tail lights you have, STUPID IS STUPID. A month ago I stopped at a traffic light on the red, the lanes are 3 wide with a divided medium. Cars pulled up beside me and behind. The light turned green and before I could start off, a young exchange student in a leased BMW X5 took off and drove me into the intersection. Claims he did not see me; for the love of God he was stopped behind me for the red cycle. Police arrived and charged the young lad with STUPIDITY ; actually he was charge with failure to have proper control of his vehicle.
1928 Tudor
dr.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #46
Tom Wesenberg

A similar thing happened to me as what happened to dr.j. I was stopped at a red light while pulling my single snowmobile trailer. The guy behind was stopped, but drove forward while the light was still red. Even though he had already stopped for the red a couple feet behind the trailer, he claims he didn't see the trailer. And this was before cell phones.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:23 PM   #47
mshmodela

Lots of crazy driver for sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkqz3lpUBp0

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #48
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
Lots of crazy driver for sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkqz3lpUBp0
Wonder how much "THE BABE" got paid for that ??.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:00 PM   #49
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.j View Post
No matter how many tail lights you have, STUPID IS STUPID...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stupid.jpg (11.2 KB, 12 views)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:34 PM   #50
al's28/33

I feel bad for those who got injured and I feel even worse for knowing their "A" was ruined or will now need $$$$$$ in restoration.

WE ALL just have to realize it is a more common fact of modern day driving that we are more vulnerable in our vintage/antique autos.

WE ALL need to drive with eyes open all around us and anticipate the other guys moves.

I don't drive my "A" at night, nor on the open highway nor even on any major artery roadway or expressway and I even don't drive at peak commuter hours. I take back less traveled roads early in the morning before most stupid folks get outta bed!!
It really limits the amount of fun I get but I feel more safe and increases the chances of my getting home OK.

my 2 cents
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:28 AM   #51
tbirdtbird
BANNED

we are surrounded by idiots.....
Old 10-19-2014, 03:44 AM   #52
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Curtis View Post
I have also noticed that I can't go on a drive without needing to "Ahoooga!" someone checking their cell phone at a red light.
I use my "Ahooga!" frequently while driving to get the attention of the distracted drivers around me. They never get mad because they don't know that I am actually honking at them. They think I am just blowing the horn and having fun!

I also use it to make kids along the road take a second look. They frequently laugh and wave.

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:32 AM   #53
mshmodela

Agreed, a good working "Ahooga!" is a must... I limit the roads I will even drive on... I likes straight and flat roads, no blind hills or curse. In Ohio we have a large Amish community and it happens all the time where a black buggy is plowed into. I lower the risk as much as I can.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #54
Patrick L.

A drunk low-life just went to prison here for killing a family of Amish. They were just minding their own business when he ran into the back of them.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:53 AM   #55
Hoogah

I've been thinking about fitting the third brake light unit that sticks to the inside of the rear window (https://parts.modelastore.com/show_Product.asp?ID=4355), but am not sure about the reliability of those suction cups. Similar ones certainly fail to keep things like soap holders stuck to the tiles in my laundry!! Anyone had any experience with this unit over a period of time?
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:14 AM   #56
John Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
AllanW, Flashing brake lights are illegal here and have been since the mid 50's. When I'm in the US its easy to see why. We also have a separate amber light for indicators - NO CONFUSION.
In Kansas and probably most states, it is illegal for flashing red lights (that means stop and proceed with caution) but flashing amber lights are OK. They indicate a caution ahead which includes road construction or slow moving vehicles such as tractors and farm equipment or in our case a Model A Ford. Let the people behind know something is different ahead. Especially at night.
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:21 AM   #57
Dick Webber

What is a good source of 6 volt LED lamps to fit stock Model A tail lights?

I also need double filament lamps for 39 Ford and 49 Mercury
Dick Webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #58
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Webber View Post
What is a good source of 6 volt LED lamps to fit stock Model A tail lights?

I also need double filament lamps for 39 Ford and 49 Mercury

Most of the 'A' vendors now handle them. You'll need 10w bulbs in the fronts though.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #59
H. L. Chauvin

Life's Choices:

Anyone ever notice "everybody", drunk or sober, texting or not texting, notices a flashing light on the highway whether in the day or night ..... it is like, "Wow, go behind bars plus, and what's in "my" wallet?"

In addition to R & L LED tail & brake lights, & rear window LED light, I placed motorcycle LED flashing stop lights under my rear mounted Model A trunk.

Have no idea if it is against the law or not .... & frankly me dear, I really don't give a damn!

Makes sense to me to possibly pay a $150.00 fine for blinking stop lights than to pay $15,000.00 in medical bills & ride in a battery powered wheel chair for the rest of my life.

Just me.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #60
117harv

This is a restoration, preservation, site for the enjoyment of our vintage Ford cars and trucks, but it seems some want it to be something else. We ALL know what we are getting into with these old cars and trucks, their short comings for lack of a better word are what I like. I dont want to hear about LED's, steering racks, radials, etc. there are plenty of sites for and to discuss modern items wether it be for comfort or safety.

Like someone said, you can lite the back up like a semi if you like, it's your ride. Puting more or better lights on probably will help, but so will defensive driving. Motor cycles have one light, they are sure to get slammed into while stopped according to many of you. I drive all kinds of vehicles with manual trans, alot of the time while stopped I dont have my foot on the brake, so no light. If another driver has to rely on a brake light to tell if they are getting closer to another car, and not the fact that the car is getting closer/larger, then they shouldn't be driving.
117harv is offline   Reply With Quote