Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2014, 08:04 AM   #1
FrankWest

Default fire extinguisher

What type fire extinguisher is best for automotive fires
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: fire extinguisher

The nearest one available. It may sound like I am joking but if I only had a limited amount of money I would get 5 dry chemical extinguishers designed for all types of fires instead of one halon (I am not sure of the current cost ratio, this is just an example). The five would be located in the car, in the garage, under the sink etc. where they could be reached before the fire got out of control. With unlimited funds I would get 5 halon extinguishers. The dry chemical ones make a terrible mess that is difficult to clean up but they still beat having to clean up ashes. How many fires are you planning to have?

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 10-27-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Charlie Stephens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
holdover

saw this in Hemmings, think I'll buy a couple , they are not suppose to make a mess like dry chemical.

http://www.firefightproducts.com/Hand_Held_systems.html
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
johnbuckley

Over here for low grade sporting events we're recommended to carry at least one 1.75 litre Foam Extingisher ( in fact I carry two!)
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:23 PM   #5
45GPW

Halon 1211 (the most common kind of Halon fire extinguisher) is an excellent fire extinguishing medium for automobile fires, but it is on its way to being banned in the US. It's already banned in the EU. You can't buy new Halon 1211 fire extinguishers any more, but you can still get used ones refilled, at least for the time-being.

The current Halon-type substitutes for Halon 1211 are nowhere near as effective, and therefore not a good choice for automobile use.

CO2 fire extinguishers are excellent for gasoline and electrical fires, and don't leave damaging residue behind like dry chemical fires do. But, they're very poor for wood/paper/brush fires, they're heavy, and initial purchase price is very high.

Dry chemical extinguishers often do as much or more damage as the fire itself may do, especially when used on electrical or electronic equipment. The dry chemical residue left after the fire is extinguished pretty much ruins whatever it touches, even if the fire didn't ruin it.

Foam fire extinguishers are better than dry chemical extinguishers for automobile fires, especially gasoline fires, but not as effective on electrical fires. You also have to choose them carefully, because not all types of foam fire extinguishers are approved for extinguishing fires caused by gasoline or other flammable liquids.
45GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
Brentwood Bob

Better to carry something than to wish you had.
Dry chemical needs to be serviced. The powder likes to compact.
Still better than a shop rag you moisten and throw on the fire.
These days I can't piss very far.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #7
jrelliott

I carry one dry chemical 10BC rated fire extinguishers in each vehicle (3) one dry chemical 10BC outside my workshop on the garage wall and a large halon in the kitchen. We also have a 1000 gallon tank of water that was once the storage tank for domestic water supply that is attached to a pump just in case the town's water goes out in a forest fire. We live in a area where we worry about forest fires all the time even though they have made a fire break around all the communities. I also check the pressure on the extinguisher and the inspection dates as a friend owns a fire extinguisher repair shop. No good deals pay same as everyone else.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:35 PM   #8
johnbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45GPW View Post
Halon 1211 (the most common kind of Halon fire extinguisher) is an excellent fire extinguishing medium for automobile fires, but it is on its way to being banned in the US. It's already banned in the EU.
Yes, the twits that make these EU environment rules seem to think that a canister of Halon is going to damage the planet more than a full blown automobile fire. And we're paying these people!!!
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:03 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Save your empty 2 1/2 or 3 liter pop bottle, then drill a 1/8" hole in the center of the cap. Fill the bottle to the top with plain water and plug the hole with a golf tee. Just pull the tee and squeeze the bottle to put out the fire. It will put out a lot of fire and leaves no mess. If one or two of these bottles won't put out the fire, the car is probably too far gone already.

I had a 3 foot by 3 foot grass fire start under my Corvair years ago and the dry chemical extinguisher didn't put it out. I had to grab a broom and swat it out.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:31 AM   #10
Christoph

Quote:
Yes, the twits that make these EU environment rules seem to think that a canister of Halon is going to damage the planet more than a full blown automobile fire. And we're paying these people!!!
John
I couldnt have said this any better....
Christoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

dry chem get's my vote.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #12
Brentwood Bob

With the dry chem, I have trouble with the plastic tie that keeps the pull ring secured. A 20 lb makes a real mess inside a truck cab when it cuts loose.
I have used a small quick tie to replace a missing tie (the ones wth little string of plastic balls). Thats why I always carry a pocket knife.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:37 PM   #13
rwiegand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45GPW View Post
You can't buy new Halon 1211 fire extinguishers any more, but you can still get used ones refilled, at least for the time-being.
New Halon 1211 extinguishers are readily available from many online sources in the US. Manufacture of new Halon is banned, but there is a substantial stockpile of existing recycled material available for both new extinguishers and refills that will take us through the next several decades. Google will find them for you.
rwiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:15 PM   #14
mshmodela

Call me a pyrophobia, but I carry one in my car... I have about 20 smoke detectors in my home as well...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:30 PM   #15
Pete

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but when you are sick would you go to a used car salesman for advice???
GO TO YOUR LOCAL FIRE DEPT AND ASK THEM!
When I did they said Co2 or Halon first and then dry chemical in that order.

This is good information from post #13.

"New Halon 1211 extinguishers are readily available from many online sources in the US. Manufacture of new Halon is banned, but there is a substantial stockpile of existing recycled material available for both new extinguishers and refills that will take us through the next several decades. Google will find them for you."
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #16
brito36

I have mostly Co2 extinguishers in my home, shop and cars, and they work well on everything except wood and paper. Co2 leaves no mess. Halon can cause respiratory problems if you should breathe it. I can deal with a little mess as opposed to loosing my house or car.
brito36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:14 PM   #17
Big hammer

I stopped a car( chevy) that was on fire. A trucker stopped and we used
a dry chemical extinguisher and only made the fuel pump fire angry.
The car was lost .when flames reached the gas tank flames grew bigger
but when the tires caught fire they blew up sending metal 40 feet!!
A life is not worth a model A cars can be replaced
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote