Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-07-2022, 02:07 PM   #1
Lenny Bruce

Default Radiator Flush

I’m sure this has been hashed out a bunch and I have read old discussions
That were on this forum some time ago. Many different ways people have flushed their Rads and engine. My question is when I replace the coolant with three gallons of say white vinegar is it ok to run the car a few times to get it pushed through the entire cooling system? I would hate to damage anything. I read along the way a fella mentioned his head gasket went funny right after his vinegar flush. Maybe a coincidence? I had the radiator flushed out at the shop but still overheating I’d like to flush the whole system out. Any suggestions? Thanks
Lenny Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 03:06 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Radiator Flush

You could also use EvapoRust, Run it for a few days and the flush it good. Do NOT do this on a concrete driveway. FWIW
Or do thee vinegar and run it for a few days. Again about the driveway.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 03:08 PM   #3
Lenny Bruce

Good to know thank you!
Old 07-07-2022, 03:20 PM   #4
Certimafied

I have personally never used vinegar to flush a radiator, however I wouldn't think it would hurt much if anything significantly or at all even. That being said vinegar can react with copper and accelerate the oxidation process. so as far as what you read about the fella having issues after a vinegar flush may have been true.

Ive used purple power or simple green before, results were arguable. and Ive also used radiator flush like the pristine brand in the yellow bottle and even Napa Macs brand and I've had good luck with them in both cleaning and not having issues afterwards. Napa has a "mild" and a "hot" version of the radiator flush used them both with good success.

It may be that you have something else entirely going on causing the overheating though. I don't want to deviate you from your plans but you may want to check some other things like your timing or head gasket condition. You said they flushed the radiator but it still may be partially clogged. Do you see a temperature difference between top and bottom of at least 20*?
Certimafied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 03:31 PM   #5
hazelhoff

I am afraid being one of those wanting to do things perfect ! Bought myself exp. Bardahl radiator cleaner & waterpump grease combo. Left it in the car for two weeks … ate my headgasket !
Old 07-07-2022, 03:42 PM   #6
Bob Johnson

I have Used Thermocure from Evapo-rust. It works great on removing the rust from the cooling system. It does not remove built up grease or oil. It you have grease or oil in the system remove it with a detergent or other grease dissolving solution. Once the grease is out then use Thermocure to remove the rust. When you are done make sure you have a rust inhibitor in the coolant.
Bob
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 04:49 PM   #7
Lenny Bruce

I timed the car twice to make sure it was ok but was told their is more then one way to make sure it’s good. As far as the head gasket I’m not sure how to check that. Their is no coolant in the oil.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:20 PM   #8
Synchro909

I posted on another thread just yesterday that this stuff is fantastic. It will clean gunk and rust out of your cooling system, leaving it like new. http://liquidintelligence.com.au/pro...m-cleaning-kit I still have no connection with the company but I know people who have used it and they all swear by it.
Old 07-07-2022, 07:02 PM   #9
Lenny Bruce

Good to know thank you
Old 07-08-2022, 05:50 AM   #10
Lenny Bruce

I haven’t a way to check the temperature upper and lower radiator. Last time I ran it it didn’t seem to get as hot as fast but almost positive it would have overheated if I ran it too much longer. I’m going to dig in this weekend see if I could find something. You guys are great!
Old 07-08-2022, 08:25 AM   #11
sethkestenbaum

When I first got my car I flushed my system several time over the first few years and ran the engine with vinegar-water. It helped clear out a lot of gunk. My advice is that if you decide to run the engine with vinegar water (in a closed loop with the engine running as opposed to just running water through the radiator onto the ground), be certain to FILTER the coolant through some type of appropriate mesh to catch whatever you are cleaning. You don't want to loosen up rust flakes only to have them clog things elsewhere -- like in the engine or tubes in the radiator.
Old 07-08-2022, 08:25 PM   #12
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethkestenbaum View Post
When I first got my car I flushed my system several time over the first few years and ran the engine with vinegar-water. It helped clear out a lot of gunk. My advice is that if you decide to run the engine with vinegar water (in a closed loop with the engine running as opposed to just running water through the radiator onto the ground), be certain to FILTER the coolant through some type of appropriate mesh to catch whatever you are cleaning. You don't want to loosen up rust flakes only to have them clog things elsewhere -- like in the engine or tubes in the radiator.

Use something like this?

https://www.rabbasradiators.com.au/p...cooling-system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 10:34 AM   #13
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny Bruce View Post
I haven’t a way to check the temperature upper and lower radiator.
Beg, borrow or buy a non contact thermometer.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search...%20thermometer