Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
ptoner

Default New to this: 1926 Fordor Sedan Window Regulator Question

Hello everyone, I'm new to this (not a mechanic and never restored a car). I have inherited a non-running 26 Fordor and I'm starting to work on small areas first to get familiar with the car. My first project is to fix the front passenger window which does not crank up. I removed the door panel and found stripped teeth both on the crank gear and on the arm portion gear.

Not knowing any better, I ordered an original 26 ford window regulator off of EBay. But it didn't fit (it had three holes and a shorter arm then mine). My window regulator has 5 holes ( I included a picture of it with this post ). I looked online at Langs, Macs and Snyders auto parts, but the reproduced window regulators they are selling all have three holes and say they are for coups.

So, my question is, does anybody know were I can pick up an original or reproduced 1926 Fordor Sedan 5 hole window regulator? If not, I'm going to try to see if a machine shop near my house can fix the original one ( I'm not rich, so I'm trying to do this for a reasonable price ).

Thanks for any help tracking down this part.

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ModelTDoorRiser_DSC03090.jpg (65.0 KB, 24 views)
ptoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: New to this: 1926 Fordor Sedan Window Regulator Question

Maybe you could swap the good parts from the other regulator to yours and make it work.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
ptoner

Thanks for the reply. Originally I was thinking the same thing. But the Fordor 5 hole window regulator, which I have, has a much larger 'semi-circle gear' (not sure what it is really called), then the 3 hole window regulator. And the base of the crank for the 3 hole regulator seems to be wider than mine. It seems that parts for the Fordor cars are harder to find then the other models.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
yachtsmanbill

First of all, make sure none of the gear parts are die cast pot metal. That stuff just disintegrates with age. It doesn't sound absolutely critical unless you really feel the need to play "car" out in the sun (we all do it!!).
If its a steel gear, weld a section back in and file the new teeth into it. Id look around at old snow blowers for the gear that turns the snow discharge chute and make something work. With old cars, you have to become innovative OR inventive sometimes. Don't hesitate to explore junk yards for a 55 Desoto window crank... just may be able to make it work ;-))
FWIW.... 1926-27 was a transition into Model A stuff. Maybe an "A" gear may work... ya never know! ws
Old 08-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
ptoner

Thanks for the info. The I will look into the Model-A window regulators, maybe I will have some luck there. Otherwise, I will be stopping by my local machine shop to see what they can do.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
mike peterson

don't 4 hole regulators work too, its just missing the single end hole, whats the measurements between the holes, length wise and side to side,
mike peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
yachtsmanbill

Just another brain fart here... theres a lot of T speedometer gears for sale lately on edog, maybe one is close enough to splice a piece in with?? ws
Old 08-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
ptoner

Talked with the people at Gaslight Model T/A parts and gave them my measurements, none of there 3 or 4 hole regulators seem to match. Very odd, I wish I new the history of my car because I'm beginning to suspect that the door is not originally for my car.

The emailed pictures and the measurements to ModelThaven.com, I hope they can match it up with a working part, otherwise I will just go to my local machine shop ( I don't know how to weld yet ).

The measurements are:

Mounting Holes Width: 3 5/16" center to center

Mounting Holes Height: 3 5/16" center to center

5th Bottom Mounting Hole: 4 3/16" below the other bottom

two mounting holes and 1 1/2"

in from them.

The regulator bar is 12" in length from center bolt to center bolt.

I have included a few pictures along with this email to better explain these measurements.

Thank you to everyone who has given me some advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ModelTDoorRiser_DSC03092.jpg (50.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg ModelTDoorRiser_DSC03093.jpg (60.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg ModelTDoorRiser_DSC03095.jpg (44.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg ModelTDoorRiser_DSC03094.jpg (51.5 KB, 5 views)